Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Gearing with a 110?  (Read 5342 times)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: Gearing with a 110?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »

I can't explain the loss of cruise with the primary gear change, but for a fact some people have posted on VTF they lost cruise and or the 6th gear light when they ran the 30T front primary sprocket. (Not to be confused with the 30T belt Sprocket). 07 cable or 08 ETC? I don't know. I wish I had solid factual info from experience on this but I don't. So maybe out of fear of loosing my cruise, I did the 30T front belt sprocket from Andrews. Cost, 150.00? The 1 tooth shorter belt was around 130.00. Labor was 3 hours and a 6 pack. Increase in performance, priceless.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »

I can't explain the loss of cruise with the primary gear change, but for a fact some people have posted on VTF they lost cruise and or the 6th gear light when they ran the 30T front primary sprocket. (Not to be confused with the 30T belt Sprocket). 07 cable or 08 ETC? I don't know. I wish I had solid factual info from experience on this but I don't. So maybe out of fear of loosing my cruise, I did the 30T front belt sprocket from Andrews. Cost, 150.00? The 1 tooth shorter belt was around 130.00. Labor was 3 hours and a 6 pack. Increase in performance, priceless.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

So the cost is about the same with the rear drive belt and output sprocket as to change the clutch / starter sprockets.  And less work, if you're not worried about the cruise issue as you've indicated from the "other" forum members.

GRC, I see what you mean about the sudden rpm increase.  As long as the rpm at the time the cruise is set doesn't increase suddenly, like pulling in the clutch, any gear and any speed (within the ECM limits of course) the cruise will function without issues.

For the life of me I find it had to believe that the motor 30t sprocket would cause the 6th speed light and cruise not to work.  The 6th gear indicator is probably a switch similar to the neutral safety switch that just gets bumper or falls into a divot on the shifter drum.  The sprocket would not have any affect on that, that I can think of.  And again the increase in rpms because of the primary ratio change would not affect the speed sensor as it's on the outboard side of the trans and only reads blips from a gear or rotor for that purpose.

As the winter edges forward here in St. Louis, I think I'll probably go for the 49th clutch housing sprocket change and take my chances with the cruise control.  I know for a fact that the speedo calibration is not affected by doing it on the primary as that's in front of the sensor, unlike the rear ratio change is after the sensor and does affect the speedo calibration.

Thanks to all on the valuable input to this thread.  I didn't start this one nor am I ending it, I just want to say I've learned a lot from it, Thanks...
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »

I'd like to have a seriously lower first gear, a somewhat lower second, and a slightly lower third, but the other three are fine.  With the IDS even 55-60 in sixth gives no complaints.  That's a little more than a third the way to redline, so isn't lugging if you don't wonk it open.  I know overall gearing effects acceleration across the board, but if the main problem is acceleration for passing in sixth, can't we tipple that little lever on the left and use fifth for a while?

Baker Powertrain has just what you need, assuming you don't mind spending several thousand dollars for a seven speed gearset.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

Baker Powertrain has just what you need, assuming you don't mind spending several thousand dollars for a seven speed gearset.

Jerry

I've considered it.  First is just too tall to get a thousand pounds moving.  On my Evo softail I can just about ease the clutch out without raising the idle and chuff away.  This one it sounds like it is going to stall even with some gas.  It would be nice if someone had just a first gear replacement; I could live with riding around town in second.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 08:11:24 PM »

The explanation for the 6th gear light loss was: Just repeating what I read.
The speedo sensor is on the output shaft of the trans. When the computer sees the correct differential between engine RPM and output shaft RPM, it knows its in 6th gear and turns on the light. When you change the primary ratio, the correct programmed differential for 6th is never achieved. Makes sense. Is it true? I have NFC?

Steve

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

So if changing the front engine sprocket throws off the speedo can you recalculate it using a SERT as this can change just about all the other functions of the ECM

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »

Electronic Speedometer Adjustment Module
From Dakota Digital
Click to ZOOM!

The SIM-1 electric speed correction module will plug into newer speed sensor harnesses to correct the speedometer and odometer after a change in tire size, pulley size or transmission gearing. The unit plugs directly between the stock Harley transmission sensor and the original speedometer and is easily tucked away into the bike's wiring harness after adjustment is complete.

* With factory Harley connectors, no cutting or splicing is required.
    * Two push button switches allow the original speedometer reading to be increased or decreased easily.
    * Ability to correct the speed to within 1 MPH or KPH from 50% to 284% of the original reading.
    * Sealed completely from water, dust, and dirt.

The new SIM-1 comes in a smaller size for easier mounting and allows more correction for calibrating more bikes.

Fits Harley Davidson models:

* 1995-2003 Sportser Models
    * 1996-2006 Softail Models
    * 1996-2005 Dyna Models
    * 2006 and earlier Touring models with Factory Electronic Speedometer

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 09:26:54 PM »

It does not list the 2006 and newer dynas or the 2007 and newer everythung else which leads me to belive something is different on the factory six speed bikes. Maybe this is not the case but it's just an observation.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 10:36:47 PM »

So if changing the front engine sprocket throws off the speedo can you recalculate it using a SERT as this can change just about all the other functions of the ECM

With the TTS, you can recalibrate the speedo. The Sert you can not.

Greaseball

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2008, 07:18:15 AM »

This is a great thread, I've just read through all of it!  Now I have a new twist to throw at those that are running an '07 and '08......

It doesn't appear that the '09 IDS rear belt sprocket will bolt up to an '07 - '08 rear wheel.  However, I've read a thread where a 70 tooth SPORTSTER sprocket was used on an '07 - '08 touring bike and it was a bolt-on change.  The Sportster sproket is the correct belt width, but not IDS.  I almost went this route on my '08 Road Glide and had I kept the bike, I would have tried it.  Used Sportster sprockets on ebay or craigslist can't be that expensive.

Here's the thread....check it out for yourselves.....
http://groups.msn.com/harleytechtalk/tc88fathead.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1392561&LastModified=4675685357966403209

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »

I really need to open my manuals and check this electronic speedo sensor out, but I still stand by my earlier statement.

If you change the primary sprockets either motor or clutch basket, the speedo should still be unaffected.  The speedo sensor is as someone said, on the trans output shaft and is "after" the primary case.

Now it seems to make sense on the 6th gear light logic that was stated, but I'm wondering why they would do that.  If they wrote software to do that, why not have a readout for all the gears on the speedo????  If it were just a comparison of shaft speed and motor rpms, it would SO easy to have all 6 gears show up on the speedo.

After reading for the past year or more all the experiences you guys have had and all the strange things the MOCO has done over the years, I'm not going to second guess them without more research on the manual or ever the electrical drawing looking for the sensor and the 6th gear switch, if it is there at all.

Has Baker announced the pricing yet for their new 7 speed gear set?  So if someone used the Baker setup they would screw up their 6th gear read out light as well, as the ratio would still be wrong compared to the preset ratio the ECM is looking for, if it of course a software indicator.

As so many have said before, as well as myself complaining about this, the only problem I'm really having is the 1st gear take off with the slipping of the clutch.  Even in parking lots you have to pull in on the clutch because your idle mph is too fast.  On my old '76 FLH 4 speed I can ride two up and take off in low without any issues at all.  Granted the gear spacing is NOT what one might call close ratio, but it does do the job quite well.

Sorry for rambling again guys.

Later dudes and dudettes........
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »

Curiosity was killing me.
Took my 07 EGC for a ride today, Shifted in 6th and the 6th gear light comes on. Pulled in the clutch, light goes out. Coasted a little ways, let the clutch back out, light comes on. Even slip the clutch ever so slightly, the light goes out. Somebody try this on an 08-09 Fly by wire and tell us what happens? Apparently, the computer on the 07, does use the differential between engine RPM and tranny shaft output RPM to detect 6th gear. The clutch slips even slightly, RPM differential falls out of the "window" and the light goes out.

Steve

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 07:42:03 PM »

I bought a thunder max ecm with auto tune and in the set up there is something for setting up the six speed . The Tech at harley said like someone earlier said when certain conditions are met it the ecm (computer) it turns the 6 speed light on ,he made it sound like it is done with ecm and no switches. RIDE SAFE JDO

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »

im wanting a deeper first gear too....... the rest are fine - everybody is making all these cool gear sets - all that is wrong is first.

first is just so tall

uphill at a stop sign just sucks

to

OILCAN1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 10:06:50 PM »

I Want lowere across the board definatley first gear, but I want sixth to be slightly lower. I don't mind running 85 I just don't want HAVE TO in order to be in a usabble power range in sixth gear.

On another note I am definatley going to look into the sportster rear sprocket as I am just about ready for another rear tire.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.