Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Six Speed Side Cover Question  (Read 10280 times)

hogasm

Re: Six Speed Question
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 05:21:32 PM »

Has absolutely nothing to do with the current curiosity.  Just wondering if HD really is lieing through their corporate teeth when they say the six speed side cover is "required."  That's a good chunk of change extra if all they're wanting to do is get the bike owner to display the logo.

Hey, Hogasm?  How we feeling about Baker today :huepfenlol2: ?

I might even go as far as to say that this year I have no complaints with Baker......but then again, Bessie only has 3000 miles on her this year. Been in the shop with a bumb motor for most of the year

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 07:05:45 AM »

Has absolutely nothing to do with the current curiosity.  Just wondering if HD really is lieing through their corporate teeth when they say the six speed side cover is "required."  That's a good chunk of change extra if all they're wanting to do is get the bike owner to display the logo.

Probally the same way Unbalanced feels about Baker,,,
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »

15 non answers  :nixweiss:

Same thing has been in my thoughts too. Wouldn't mind saving the money for the cover when I am finally able to do mine. Don't really care if it says 6 speed or not.

The $300 saved can go towards changing the the comp and clutch sprockets.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 09:03:48 AM »

Hate to add more of a question than an answer but my 04 RG had a six speed "overdrive" from HD with a six speed cover.  At 70 mph, I tached 2600 rpm... same as the SERG but now they call it "cruise drive." If it's not identical, it's damn close!!  I'm betting the standard cover fits but it would not be hard to compare........

gk

Actually the 6 speed overdrive is just that, an O/D 6 speed.  This is nothing more than the same gear ratios from the 5 speed and then with the .86 O/D 6th gear.  The new "Cruise Drive 6 speed" is NOT an O/D trans, but just a slightly closer ratio gear set with a lower low gear, but a 1:1 final gear.  They then make up the "gearing" or "O/D" simulation by changing to a higher ratio (closer to 1:1) primary sprocket set up.  Although as the "other" thread has said, they missed the mark on just how low low gear should be.  But still the Cruise Drive is not an overdrive 6 speed.

I think I said it in my ealier post, but the SE 6 speed is not the same 6 speed that's in our '07 and newer SE bikes.  Just like the new SE cam plate with bushings is not the same cam plate that they use in our SE 110" motors.

I'm leaning towards some type of clearancing issue inside the cover that is required for the retro 6 speed gear set requiring a new cover.  Externally they appear the same, but internally they MAY be different.

I know that we all have doubts about the MOCO and their reasoning sometimes, but I've looked back through my last two P&A catalogs and with different retro parts kits and if you don't need something they just didn't add it because they wanted to sell it.  As an example, the new SE cam plate.  They don't say you need a new oil pump or new cam set to use it.  If we took the 6 speed scenario to the cam plate, they would say "must have cam set XXXXX-XX and oil pump XXXXX-XX to function properly.  So if they COULD gouge us for "extras", they would there too, just my opinion.  I think I may be a bit naive when it comes to the MOCO as I'm "new" to the family and have no longterm experience to base any negative opinions on.  Even so far on my '08 SERK, I got a great archive book, the bike runs great, handles great and looks cool.

I think someone like HD-Dude could step in and give us a little background on this.

If I were doing a SE 6 speed gear set change and had to have it done for a trip, I don't think I would guess that the stock cover will work.  I may be waiting for a while to pick up the 6 speed cover.

Of course this is ALL just my opinion with some facts thrown in on the two different types of 6 speeds.  I think we need to have someone that's done this verify to the need or no need for a 6 speed cover.

I asked this in the "other" thread, has anyone heard what the new Baker 7 speed gear set is going for?  Just wondering.

Sorry to keep mudding the waters on this...

:o  :o  :o
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

screaminchickensrule

• Senior CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN CHICKENS RULE

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC ORANGE & BLACK
    • CVO2: 2006 SEUC BLACK & GREY
    • PREMIER AUTO AND CYCLE SALES
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 09:05:27 AM »

I wouldn't order the cover... In MOCO's P&A they state that extra parts are needed with virtually everything that you do to your bike... (if you read the fine print or go to a dealer that has a new parts guy)  Most of the time they are just UP selling all their parts just like they train their STEALERSHIPS to do...  Just my $ .02  Everyone have a great weekend!!!  :drink: :drink:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.  ~Author Unknown

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »

15 non answers  :nixweiss:

Same thing has been in my thoughts too. Wouldn't mind saving the money for the cover when I am finally able to do mine. Don't really care if it says 6 speed or not.

The $300 saved can go towards changing the the comp and clutch sprockets.

That's ok Duane.  If no one knows no one knows.  After all, I didn't either.  The notion only came to me as I was cruising that parts catalog the other night.

At that time it was only a matter of curiosity.  Soon enough I'll have an opportunity to know for sure though.  And that will be thanks to this thread.

Greg mentioned he had a six speed side cover for cheap.  When he said that I scoped out eBay for gear sets to see if 1 and 1 could be put together to make 6 (speeds).  Significantly lucked out there. 

Someone had recently listed the new -A version of the SE six speed gear set.  I called the shop listing and convinced them they might as well sell it directly since sure no gear set that only fits 10 year old bikes and older would get much attention.  Got the brand new in a sealed box SE gear set for $1k. 

Whenever I get around to changing it I'll closely compare Greg's 6 speed side cover to the stock piece and know for sure whether the change is required or cosmetic.  Will post here when that happens. 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »

Got the brand new in a sealed box SE gear set for $1k. 

You suck
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 12:00:10 PM »

You suck

Thankyewveramuch  :P .

I did luck out though.  That gear set fits like 1990-2000.  They'd had it on the shelf for who knows how long.  It was the newer -A part number but even that's at least five years old.  At the end of the chat they were just more interested in selling it now for sure than letting it ride out a week on eBay and maybe or maybe not getting any action. 

The old SERG will actually benefit from an overdrive gear.  It was one of those "going to do it" things.  Just didn't know when.  The availability of Greg's side cover just got the ball rolling sooner rather than later.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »

What I'm going to say won't be a definitive answer to the question, but....both of my CVOs, an '07 and an '08, have plain side covers; they don't say 6-speed like the non-CVO covers.  Could it be MoCo cheaping-out again (NAH!) in the hope we'll buy another over-priced dress-up item from them (NAH!)?

When I got the sissy bar and pad for my '07 SES, the catalog said "turn signal relocation kit required."  Not only wasn't it required, when I started to install it, I could see the relocation kit wasn't going to have any effect on the interference by the turn signals, so I returned the kit to my stealer and worked around the turn signals.

So: is MoCo hosing us with that "requirement" to buy extra pieces?  NAH!
If you want peace, prepare for war.

REGGAB

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »

Apologies for the input.  Enjoy your stock side cover.   :2vrolijk_21:

Will do my best to remember that you never recommend solutions, which may stray slightly from the original query, let alone go way off topic.   :coolblue:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:38:43 AM by HML »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 10:34:58 AM »

Apologies for the input.  Enjoy your stock side cover.   :2vrolijk_21:

Will do my best to remember that you never recommend solutions, which may stray slightly from the original query, let alone go way off topic.   :coolblue:

Henry, you've got to stop mistaking commentary for criticism and responding as if insecurities always have you watching over your shoulder for boogeymen.  This is a playground man; nothing more.  I may not find another post where I can throw in an intentional math error to get you feeling good enough to be chatty again.  So worry less and play more :2vrolijk_21: .

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »

What I'm going to say won't be a definitive answer to the question, but....both of my CVOs, an '07 and an '08, have plain side covers; they don't say 6-speed like the non-CVO covers.  Could it be MoCo cheaping-out again (NAH!) in the hope we'll buy another over-priced dress-up item from them (NAH!)?

When I got the sissy bar and pad for my '07 SES, the catalog said "turn signal relocation kit required."  Not only wasn't it required, when I started to install it, I could see the relocation kit wasn't going to have any effect on the interference by the turn signals, so I returned the kit to my stealer and worked around the turn signals.

So: is MoCo hosing us with that "requirement" to buy extra pieces?  NAH!

Completely agree that the MoCo's "directions" so often leave a lot to be desired about such things.  Have too often been told needed something that could have been avoided.  Even more annoying are the packages or kits that are complete; but aren't.  Requiring you then to make an extra trip to the parts counter for some gasket, hardware or other part that should have been part of the package but was not.

The bikes with stock six speeds are a different beast to this question though.  It's an entirely different transmission than those earlier models that get the gear set added and are told "you need to buy that side cover little boy or we'll spank you with Harley shift linkages!"

Oh well....  It was all just a matter of Harley Miscreant Curiosity until Greg told me about his side cover for cheap $$$.  This may be the first thread where instead of someone else's it was my own thread that unexpectedly cost me money :o:huepfenlol2:

REGGAB

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »

Henry, you've got to stop mistaking commentary for criticism and responding as if insecurities always have you watching over your shoulder for boogeymen. 

Don, you would do well to practice that which you preach.  Nothing more than complete sarcasm in my response intended only to crack a smile and let you know that Baker might have a cover solution to fit your need.

Personally, I like the stock side cover.   :2vrolijk_21:

This is a playground man; nothing more.

Well, for those of us looking for knowledge, perhaps sharing knowledge we've gained along the way, and hoping to help others, it is not just a playground.........though it can be.

I may not find another post where I can throw in an intentional math error to get you feeling good enough to be chatty again.

I find it disingenuously convenient when one says an error was intentional after the fact.  Much easier, let alone......honest......to man up like you did the first time.  Don't worry yourself too much about me being "chatty," pal!  When I'm quiet here, I'm likely busy working.

So worry less and play more :2vrolijk_21: .

I worry very little about anything happening here.  I have plenty of other matters to peg my worry meter, so in that context, "worry" is not germane.  "Play".......well........every chance I get.   :2vrolijk_21:

You might want to be careful next time you sit down.  Might injure yourself with that stick in your fourth point of contact.   :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 01:38:28 AM »

Don, you would do well to practice that which you preach.  Nothing more than complete sarcasm in my response intended only to crack a smile and let you know that Baker might have a cover solution to fit your need.

Personally, I like the stock side cover.   :2vrolijk_21:

Well, for those of us looking for knowledge, perhaps sharing knowledge we've gained along the way, and hoping to help others, it is not just a playground.........though it can be.

I find it disingenuously convenient when one says an error was intentional after the fact.  Much easier, let alone......honest......to man up like you did the first time.  Don't worry yourself too much about me being "chatty," pal!  When I'm quiet here, I'm likely busy working.

I worry very little about anything happening here.  I have plenty of other matters to peg my worry meter, so in that context, "worry" is not germane.  "Play".......well........every chance I get.   :2vrolijk_21:

You might want to be careful next time you sit down.  Might injure yourself with that stick in your fourth point of contact.   :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Henry, you've got to stop mistaking commentary for criticism and responding as if insecurities always have you watching over your shoulder for boogeymen. 

:huepfenlol2: :oops: :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

Re: Six Speed Side Cover Question
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »

Just remembered that I'd finally answered this question a week or so ago.  Original question was whether the installation of the Harley six speed gear set required use of the Harley six speed side cover as the P&A catalog said it would.

Turns out the answer is yes.  The six speed side cover would work on either a five speed or a six speed transmission (remember, we're not talking the newer "Cruise Drive" transmissions here).  But the original five speed side cover will not go on a new six speed trap door.

Difference isn't trap door thickness nor anything to do with the clutch release nor anything else in any mechanical system.  It's just a difference in the casting.

In the photo the top part is a six speed side cover.  Bottom one is the old five speed cover.  Notice the vertical indention in the casting of the five speed cover coming down from the top center.  That entire area is open on the six speed cover.  That's the difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 25 queries.