Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: New Streetglide ?  (Read 4362 times)

hedgehog

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
New Streetglide ?
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:26:47 PM »

I just sold my 2001 Fatboy to buy a more comfortable ride. The Fatboy had a carb. and never gave me any trouble. Should I try to get a 2006 Streetglide in carb or fuel injection?  The only mods I will do to the engine would be breather, pipes and either jetting or re-mapping. Any comments would be appreciated.

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: New Streetglide ?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 08:17:47 PM »

hedgehog, I just saw the Street Glide this past weekend, what a sweet bike.  There are advantages and disavantages to both carb and fuel injection.  I have had both, but I can say for consistant performance in all types of weather and altitudes, fuel injection is the way to go.  I think once you have a fuel injected bike, you won't go back to the old carb. Just my two cents.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 09:01:41 PM »

I think if you decide to go with fuel injection you will be happy. Considering the modifications you described it will be easy to have it (fuel injection) re-mapped. Like you my last bike was carbureted, but I'm really enjoying fuel injection now. No more pulling choke, have bike spit, sputter until it warms up. No more fouled plugs from forgetting to push the choke back in. Everyday there is more things coming out to enhance the fuel injection system. A few years back it was hard to modify or have performance enhancing products for them, but now the MoCo and aftermarket are full of things. As you probably have heard fuel injection will be the wave of the future, before long having a carburetor on a bike will be out of the norm. Also if you do in cross-country traveling and you do major elevation changes in your travels you will definitely appreciate the fuel injection.

The only bad things that come to mine about fuel injection are...
1. No reserve (you will have a fuel gauge)
2. If battery goes dead then you can't push start bike (battery has to be good to operate fuel pump)

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
[smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hedgehog

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:17:56 PM »

I am posting this because I was at the local HD dealer tiday in the service dept. and the tech told me that they are constantly chasing EFI problems in these bikes. IHe also stated that the streetglide is one of the few bikes left with a carb and if it was him he would take the carb model. It sounded like a sales pitch but after looking around, he didn't have any carb bikes to sell me, just injected. I just don't want any problems because I plan on keeping this bike long after the warranty has expired.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 10:54:17 PM »

This is my second bike with FI for a total of 74k miles, after years (since the 70's) with carbs.  I'll never go back to carb and I've never had a problem with my FI and don't know anybody who has.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 10:58:42 PM »

Only one rider's opinion, but I fell in love with EFI on a bike the first time I sat on it.  

Certainly some pros and cons each way.  But for a "normal" day in and day out rider the fuel injection system is just too easy not to have underneath you.

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 11:45:25 PM »

I am posting this because I was at the local HD dealer tiday in the service dept. and the tech told me that they are constantly chasing EFI problems in these bikes. IHe also stated that the streetglide is one of the few bikes left with a carb and if it was him he would take the carb model. It sounded like a sales pitch but after looking around, he didn't have any carb bikes to sell me, just injected. I just don't want any problems because I plan on keeping this bike long after the warranty has expired.

Thats opposite from my experience at a dealership...the gen. 2 system is VERY trouble free..designed by GM...the first generation system Harley used thru 2001 on the other hand did have problems. Demo one or preferably rent one. You will love it.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 08:25:45 AM »

I just sold my 2001 Fatboy to buy a more comfortable ride. The Fatboy had a carb. and never gave me any trouble. Should I try to get a 2006 Streetglide in carb or fuel injection?  The only mods I will do to the engine would be breather, pipes and either jetting or re-mapping. Any comments would be appreciated.

IMHO  -  if you intend to only change air cleaner and pipes and don't intend to travel in the mountains, the carb would be the least expensive alternative (a few jets and a drill bit for tuning).  However, once you get past the initial expense of getting the EFI mapped correctly, I believe you will find EFI to be vastly superior in terms of ease of use and driveability.  This is my first EFI bike, and initially I was highly unhappy due to the poor map from H-D (extremely lean, hesitation/surge, poor starting, etc).  Once I "tuned" the mixture, I became a convert.  I'll never go back to a carb.

By the way, you have several options for tuning.  The least expensive would be the DFO unit, then the Power Commander, then the Race Tuner.  You will find threads on the site for all three.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 09:53:29 AM »

If you're interested in resale numbers the recent carb models are about like trying to sell a bad case of the ......well, sell a bad thing.....

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »

If you're interested in resale numbers the recent carb models are about like trying to sell a bad case of the ......well, sell a bad thing.....

Yeah, 'er 'uh, BLM777,
 And with at least with a bad case of the ....., you'd have somehtin' that would run! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 01:22:40 PM »

If you plan on keeping it a while get the carb.
If you don't get EFI (resale value).

Honestly, I'd never buy an EFI bike if I had the option.  My SEEG and RG... I had no choice.  My springer is a carb because I had the choice.

You can always work on a carb yourself... good luck with that EFI.  Some people get lucky and don't have problems.  Id rather determine my own luck.

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 09:06:51 PM »

If you plan on keeping it a while get the carb.
If you don't get EFI (resale value).

Honestly, I'd never buy an EFI bike if I had the option.  My SEEG and RG... I had no choice.  My springer is a carb because I had the choice.

You can always work on a carb yourself... good luck with that EFI.  Some people get lucky and don't have problems.  Id rather determine my own luck.

I agree could not have said it any better. Plus how much easier and cheaper to tune and think of the HP.

OTIS
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 09:14:54 PM »

Another advantage to getting the 'carb' version is that it may be your last chance!  Har!  [smiley=brood.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Dr. Evil

• The Great Pumpkin
  • Elite CVO Member
  • BooFrickityHoo.

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Pumpkin
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 09:27:18 PM »

that's two more excellent reasons.  No messing with downloads... DFO's... etc.  And you can be certain of no decel popping.  I got lucky with my EFI bikes.... I think most people have probs.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31:58 PM »

Another advantage to getting the 'carb' version is that it may be your last chance!  Har!  [smiley=brood.gif]  spyder

Last chance?

Hell I  have a tool box full of carbs
S&S b model and g model
Kehins

I will give the kehins away if someone is having carb loss dependency withdrawals.

I bought the 03 Lowrider cause it's part of a matched set. If fuel injection was available for the Lowrider in 03,  then there would be no carb.

Some day I will have a shovelhead dresser. That's the only reason I keep the S&S carbs.
If God built shovelhead dressers, they would have S&S carbs and fishtail pipes. There is no better sound at idle!

Any other time,
Give me fuel injection!

And DJW your right about the DFO's
I have 2, I will throw them in with the Kehins!

[smiley=cherry.gif]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 07:26:38 AM by hd2003-se2005 »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.