Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Screamin' Eagle breather hose  (Read 8205 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Screamin' Eagle breather hose
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »

I have a 2001 Heritage Softail with a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner kit on it.  The other day as I was cleaning the K&N filter, I noticed the 3" piece of breather hoses going into the back of the air cleaner were totally deteriorated.  I called Black Hills HD and told them I needed new hoses.   (They're bent at approx. 70 degrees.)  Guess what, they can't find the replacement hoses!  Unbelievable!!  I found the part number for the kit which is 24990-99.  No dice.  They ordered another hose which they thought would fit.  They cost $1.70 each.  I made the hundred mile round trip on my SE Ultra to get the hoses.  When I got back home, I found that the internal diameter of the hose they had sold me was too large.  Now I'm stuck.  It sounds like the only way to fix it is to buy a complete new air cleaner kit!  This is total BS.  Here's a part HD has had since '99 that I had installed in '01 when my bike was new, and because of the breather hoses, it needs to be replaced!

HELP, anybody know where I can get the hoses I need?  Or do I have to get hosed myself by spending about $150 for a new A/C kit? 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Screamin' Eagle breather hose
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »

I have a 2001 Heritage Softail with a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner kit on it.  The other day as I was cleaning the K&N filter, I noticed the 3" piece of breather hoses going into the back of the air cleaner were totally deteriorated.  I called Black Hills HD and told them I needed new hoses.   (They're bent at approx. 70 degrees.)  Guess what, they can't find the replacement hoses!  Unbelievable!!  I found the part number for the kit which is 24990-99.  No dice.  They ordered another hose which they thought would fit.  They cost $1.70 each.  I made the hundred mile round trip on my SE Ultra to get the hoses.  When I got back home, I found that the internal diameter of the hose they had sold me was too large.  Now I'm stuck.  It sounds like the only way to fix it is to buy a complete new air cleaner kit!  This is total BS.  Here's a part HD has had since '99 that I had installed in '01 when my bike was new, and because of the breather hoses, it needs to be replaced!

HELP, anybody know where I can get the hoses I need?  Or do I have to get hosed myself by spending about $150 for a new A/C kit? 

Is it FI or carb? Pick up the Screamin Eagle Breather Kit. It's a u-shaped chrome tube that connects to both head's breather holes, and has one outlet, and a hose that you run to the ground. If this is NG on an FI bike, get the Kuryakin Bluegrass Breathers, which are individual fittings for each head's breather. They angle inward and you pipe them together to a tee and run the hose to the ground like the SE. Either way, you'll never worry about having to connect them to your A/C again, or worry about oil in your A/C again! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:04:10 PM »

Is it FI or carb? Pick up the Screamin Eagle Breather Kit. It's a u-shaped chrome tube that connects to both head's breather holes, and has one outlet, and a hose that you run to the ground. If this is NG on an FI bike, get the Kuryakin Bluegrass Breathers, which are individual fittings for each head's breather. They angle inward and you pipe them together to a tee and run the hose to the ground like the SE. Either way, you'll never worry about having to connect them to your A/C again, or worry about oil in your A/C again! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Thanks, Hoist -and happy Birthday!

It's a carb. 
I just got off the phone with the Sioux Falls Harley dealer, and I guess the parts for my A/C are obsoleted.  But I think you've got a good idea to run the two fittings together with a tee and then run the hose to the ground.  -Steve

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:16:45 PM »

Thanks, Hoist -and happy Birthday!

It's a carb. 
I just got off the phone with the Sioux Falls Harley dealer, and I guess the parts for my A/C are obsoleted.  But I think you've got a good idea to run the two fittings together with a tee and then run the hose to the ground.  -Steve

Thanks Steve! :2vrolijk_21:

The SE breather is a single piece for carb bikes. It's a U-shaped chrome tube that connects between the 2 heads and has a single outlet. It even comes with the hose and clamps. It's 29310-93. Don't even know if they still make it. I've run it on many bikes over the years. But the Kury's are definitely available. You just need to do your own plumbing with them. I run them on my SERK. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »

The tube itself is a common aftermarket piece also.  It's in J&P's catalog with part # 4000305 and comes with breather bolts for both Evo and TC.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »

I'm confused (no comments Don)...

Isn't this piece metal...

I was thinking he was describing a rubber piece of hose. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

You could be....

It could be this piece replaces that rubber hose, too...   :oops: ::) :P
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 07:44:15 PM »

You could be....

It could be this piece replaces that rubber hose, too...   :oops: ::) :P
When the original post came out I went looking at some of my old installation instructions but I only had the SE backplate one. I then looked in my Parts Manual and I found this P/N 29476-99 and was wondering if that was the piece of hose, but that's for the stock filter that came on our bikes. Also the mention of the "detioration" of the part made me think more that it was rubber. :nixweiss:

If you've got your Parts Manual handy see if you have that part going to the back of your stock filter in there.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:04:14 PM »

When the original post came out I went looking at some of my old installation instructions but I only had the SE backplate one. I then looked in my Parts Manual and I found this P/N 29476-99 and was wondering if that was the piece of hose, but that's for the stock filter that came on our bikes. Also the mention of the "detioration" of the part made me think more that it was rubber. :nixweiss:

If you've got your Parts Manual handy see if you have that part going to the back of your stock filter in there.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Dood, if he's after the part that I think he is it's not an OE part.  Instead it's a very common old hose that used to be part of the Stage I kit. 

Rather than the solid backplate that has been common for several years now, with the vents to the heads all inside the plate, there were nipples off the heads and plate with the lines he's looking for between them.

Using the tube mentioned above and routing to the ground would work fine.  But would need to plug the nipples on the back of the breather plate.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 08:05:57 PM »

Dood, if he's after the part that I think he is it's not an OE part.  Instead it's a very common old hose that used to be part of the Stage I kit. 

Rather than the solid backplate that has been common for several years now, with the vents to the heads all inside the plate, there were nipples off the heads and plate with the lines he's looking for between them.

Using the tube mentioned above and routing to the ground would work fine.  But would need to plug the nipples on the back of the breather plate.
I see said the blind confused man. :D :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »

I see said the blind confused man. :D :D :D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

C'mon Dood.  We're talking nipples here!  You got to have some kind of a clue :nixweiss: .

Speaking of.  It's time for me to go.  Already showered and powdered but have to get in the rest of my costume for the part tonight.  I'm the Bald Headed Dorothy from Wizard of Oz.  And don't you even be thinkin' of messing with my Toto!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »

C'mon Dood.  We're talking nipples here!  You got to have some kind of a clue :nixweiss: .

Speaking of.  It's time for me to go.  Already showered and powdered but have to get in the rest of my costume for the part tonight.  I'm the Bald Headed Dorothy from Wizard of Oz.  And don't you even be thinkin' of messing with my Toto!

:worthless: :worthless:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 02:06:21 AM »

:worthless: :worthless:

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Npe.  Damit.   Nope.  That's beter.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 05:19:55 AM »

Not sure of the diameter but S&S sells them for their carbs. Very common part BUT I do not have a part number.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

The U shaped tube on mine has two vents.  One on each side.  The rubber tube is actually bent at about 120 degrees, (I had mistakenly said 70).  -But I think if I used two fairly short tubes with a tee fitting and ran it down to the ground from there, I should be OK.  (I know I need to block off the holes in the back of the air cleaner where the original rubber hoses went).

The guy I deal with at the parts counter of the HD shop in Rapid said he has a later version of the SE A/C kit on his bike, and that he has to replace the short rubber hoses every year.  They simply deteriorate.  If you look up the part number, #249909-99, it has gone from -99 to 99a to 99b to 99c and is now 99d!

I called the Sioux Falls HD service dept. and talked to an old friend who runs the service dept. there.  He said he's had several people buy a different brand of A/C kit because these rubber hoses have gone to crap and they can't find a replacement for their older SE A/C kits.

This all makes me feel like I own an older Evo.  I used to have to run breather tubes to the ground on those bikes too.
What pisses me off is that something so simple as a bent fuel line that you can no longer get sends me back to the dark ages.  Good old Mother Harley is changing things so fast that it's turning their parts departments into a nightmare. 

I know a 2001 bike isn't brand new, but come on, it's not that old.  My '08 will probably be the last bike I buy.  The only reason I bought it was because they basically obsoleted my '06 SE Ultra.  I thought THAT bike would be my last, but I missed my King Tourpac, wanted the 6 speed, wanted the new engine, and liked the idea of anti-lock brakes.
-Sure I'd like the new frame, swingarm, bigger tires and new motor mounts, but I'm satisfied with what I have. 

Who knows, in a couple of years all Harleys will be Vrods.  I'll be sorry to see the demise of our beloved air-cooled bikes, but as long as I'm able, I'll still be riding my '08 SE Ultra.  -Hopefully I'll be able to obtain the parts to keep it on the road!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.