Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help selecting new bike  (Read 1622 times)

hedgehog

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Help selecting new bike
« on: August 12, 2005, 06:55:49 AM »

I just sold my 2001 Fatboy with the intentions of buying a fulldresser. Yesterday I rode my friends 2005 Electraglide standard and felt that it was really hot to ride. He did have vented lowers and a 6" windshield installed on the bike. It was in the low 90's with high humidity. I know on my previous bike once I got moving I could cool off. Tell me, is this a characteristic of riding a bike with the batwing fairing or was it because of the lowers. Now I don't know whether I should go with the Streetglide like I originally intended or go with a Road King.

Scrrem

• Full CVO Member
  • 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Help selecting new bike
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 07:04:56 AM »

hedgehog, I myself came off a Dyna Wide Glide before buying my SEEG and yes, you definitely get less wid beind the batwing.  My SEEG has vented lowers but they still block alot of wind.  I have removed my lowers completly for summer riding (they are nice in the winter months) and have a 4 inch windshield. Both of these things help you get more wind but it is still a significantly warmer ride on a dresser.  

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 07:05:52 AM »

Might have been the lowers.

But what can you expect with,

" It was in the low 90's with high humidity."

I think the new Streetglide is a fine looking bike.
All it needs is a motor! [smiley=laugh.gif]
Then it would have a home with me!

[smiley=cherry.gif]

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:14:40 AM »

They (Batwing fairing AND lowers) are much hotter.  As is a windshield.  It is amazing how much air the Batwing fairing blocks even in front of the hands......which is as nice in cold weather riding as it is bad in hot weather riding.  The other thing of great difference between what you were riding and either the fairing mounter Glide or the Road King, is the ride, esp. the handling with the steering feel of the front end.  You quickly adapt to it, but it IS a big difference in ride/feel.  Different bikes, both good in their own way.   JMO, spyder    [smiley=laugh.gif]
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 11:36:01 AM »

I concur with Chip and Spyder here.......what they said! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 05:16:04 PM »

I concur with JC concurring with Chip and Spyder.  What he said they said was said as good as stuff can be said.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 05:26:39 PM »

I concur with JC concurring with Chip and Spyder.  What he said they said was said as good as stuff can be said.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

I would be inclined to agree with TwoLane in that JC was correct in his assumption that both Chip and Spyder are correct, and that they have in fact said it well...

I run a Softail Standard and a SEEG and a Lowrider, and they are all significantly different rides, but great in thier own ways...  However, I am now ready to sell everything but the SEEG, because, for me, the ride is better, the handling is better, the performance is there, and I can carry everything I need for longer rides without stacking the bike up unsafely.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]     JMHO.....
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 06:20:21 AM »

Beleive me you think its hot now. In Houston you can ride 12months 365 days out of the year. From late November to early April you will be glad you have a batwing fairing and lowers.  [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=bigok.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 20 queries.