Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Please Review  (Read 10972 times)

Wildrat

Please Review
« on: November 12, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

This is what I have come up with for my wife's 06 Street Glide, and mine soon, maybe right after hers.
If you see something questionable please tell me.

S&S 510G Gear Drive Camshaft Kit # 49-9470 M&M
S&S Adjustable Push Rod Kit # 49-9961 M&M
S&S Cam Install Kit # 49-9680 M&M
Fueling Press. Relief Spring # 49-5201 M&M
SE Cam Plate and Oil Pump # 25283-07 HD Dealership

I do not have lifters listed because I was told by someone that HD lifters are Good. If you dis-agree please tell me why, and a recommendation.

Thank You all for your Patience and your help. I have not regretted being a member of this forum. I was/am a member of another forum I will not mention and I never got a straight answer. I only regret not finding this site two years ago.

Sean M Cary

Re: Please Review
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:28:30 PM »

This is what I have come up with for my wife's 06 Street Glide, and mine soon, maybe right after hers.

I do not have lifters listed because I was told by someone that HD lifters are Good. If you dis-agree please tell me why, and a recommendation.

Thank You all for your Patience and your help. I have not regretted being a member of this forum. I was/am a member of another forum I will not mention and I never got a straight answer. I only regret not finding this site two years ago.

did you see Portholes post on doing this upgrade?  Worth the time to find it.

Planning on the same parts/job next year for my 03 SERK.

Take pictures!!

Sean

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

I didn't check you P/N's at all, but I'd leave the new SE camplate alone. You don't need that spring with the new SE CP/OP. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Wildrat

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »

Maybe I can get a cameraman. It is most likely going to take me about a week to do the work because of my disabilities but I will do my best.
Hoist you posted while I was commenting on the photo's. So the SE camplate has a better spring?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »

Maybe I can get a cameraman. It is most likely going to take me about a week to do the work because of my disabilities but I will do my best.
Hoist you posted while I was commenting on the photo's. So the SE camplate has a better spring?

It's setup correctly for the newer lube system. OP isn't a big problem since the newer style Dyna ('06) and all '07's and up. The spring helps increase oil pressure with the older OP. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Wildrat

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:32:02 PM »

I hate to keep kicking this dead horse, but I have the same question again but different.
So when this plate is installed on a 06 Street Glide I will have higher OP at idle?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »

I hate to keep kicking this dead horse, but I have the same question again but different.
So when this plate is installed on a 06 Street Glide I will have higher OP at idle?

Compared to your stock '06 setup, yes. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »

I didn't check you P/N's at all, but I'd leave the new SE camplate alone. You don't need that spring with the new SE CP/OP. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Howie beat me to it, you don't need the new spring with the SE oil pump, more pressure from this pump! Man Howie, you were on this one quick!  :2vrolijk_21:

Wildrat

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »

What has the OP been running at idle with the new pump?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 03:32:31 PM »

Can I ask a question ?

What are you looking to gain here ?

I can't really tell looking at your list of parts

B B

Sean M Cary

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:43:29 PM »

Can I ask a question ?

What are you looking to gain here ?

I can't really tell looking at your list of parts

B B

his tensioners are et up - its in another thread.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »

his tensioners are et up - its in another thread.

Sean
       I know what's broke, what I don't know is why he's trying to fix what ain't, ie: what his hope for the finished product ?

B B

Wildrat

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 05:44:56 PM »

Yes, it started with the tensioners in the wife's bike. I am kinda screwed up physically so it is very difficult for me to do things. I can if I have too though, with the help of my strong pain meds. I called a dealer here and asked them how much to do the job, they said I'll call you back. They did, told me 1200 bucks and change to do the tensioner job. I said to myself,yes, your screwed up but 1200 bucks is a lot of money and a HD is not rocket science. Before I got injured I was building blower motors, BBC & SBC. I even did the work on my blowers, they are not rocket science either. I do everything on my bikes, it just takes lots of time because of breaks and pain., but I plug along. I told the wife if i tear into the bottom end I might as well improve things a bit. I am not looking to break speed records, just get a little more torque at the lower end, and some reliability. So 1) S&S gear drive kit gets rid of HD's tensioners, chains, etc. I get better bearings and better reliability. Less than 25K on tensioners is not reliability, if it had happen on my trip to the Grand Canyon I would have been dis-pleased, not happy now, I'd rather not have to cause more damage to my body.2) S&S adjustable push-rods kit, I think that's self-explanatory.3) S&S cam install kit, would have needed one whether I went back with chain or gear cams, again self-explanatory 4) SE Cam plate and oil pump, After market oil pumps cost more than they are worth, from reading the aftermarket cam plates have their issues with tolerances. The SE CP & Pump is more cost effective because I get a billet cam plate and a better than 06 oil pump, and I'm told I don't need the press relief spring because the new plate is already set up. I think that covers it except for the new cam and oil pump fasteners from ARP that I will be using.  This is why I put the please review post here is to see if the setup is OK as far as compatibility of parts. I am keeping the stock heads & pistons/jugs for now. When I a whole bunch of miles on the motor and I decide to keep the bike and I am able too I will take the motors apart and build it like a tank like I do everything. Don't get the wrong opinion I am not rattled by the why and what question, and I apologise if I sound like I am being a SA, I'm not, as I prefer peaceful co-existence till I get dis-stressed. HD Dealers dis-stress me around here especially GC HD. HD is about making money and not quality and customer service.So anyway, let loose.
edit) I forgot to add this major parts=$1,196, 4 bucks and some change less than HD and $298 in special tools. So $1,400 in tools and parts vs $1,200 and HD puts it back together with a stock bottom end. Yes, some will say what about time. I have all kinda time, I am disabled and do not work, and trust me, you don't want to be me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 06:49:32 PM by Wildrat »

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 07:06:28 PM »

Rat,
In response to the lifter query, if I were you, I'd replace them with stock HD Lifters.  What you don't know is if any tensioner pieces, or other matter, got in the ones you have, which may cause a leak down and make one, some or all of them slow to pump up, or worse yet, not pump up at all.  Plus, I can't see where you've mentioned mileage on the motor, so as a preventive measure, and to be thorough, I think it would be worth your while to replace the lifters.  JMHO.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 07:36:29 PM by HML »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »

I am not looking to break speed records, just get a little more torque at the lower end, and some reliability.

I am disabled and do not work, and trust me, you don't want to be me.

Wildrat
           1st off, you have my sympathy for your disbility. I am in a similar situation having been forced into retirement by physical issues. I just turned 55 and have seen my body go from being able to put  700 miles a day on a bike to being lucky to put in 200. I am sympatico amigo believe me.

2nd, your post above. The only thing I see you doing performance wise is adding a different cam. I'm sure the other members will correct me if I'm wrong, but the cams you can drop into a CVO motor without doing head work are not torque producing cams. They add some HP at the upper end of the RPM range. I would suggest you re-think your position and have your heads worked and install a set of cams intended to work in conjunction with the work done to your heads to produce more torque. I personally prefer Dave Mackie Engineering for this type of set-up. You can call DME and speak with Dave Mackie yourself. The phone number is on their website. There are many many other shops doing top shelf work on heads and they will have their own recommendations on cams. I strongly urge you to look into having your heads re-worked. Price wise, you're talking another $1,000 but it's money very well spent.

Just my $0.02
                     B B
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.