Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2008 SE Ultra Crash  (Read 7043 times)

emcclary

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO3: 2010 FLSTSE
2008 SE Ultra Crash
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »

Hi guys I am new to the site and have been riding bikes for twenty years.  I purchased a 2008 SE Ultra classic in June on this year.  The bike ran fine with the exception that the idle would run around 2000 rpm at times even after warm up at times.  Took the bike in for 1000 mile service and it seemed to fix the problem until 500 miles later where I had an accident four houses from my driveway. 

I cant be sure of what happened because I cant remember the accident or the following four weeks I spent in ICU due to the injuries I received.  My wife fortunately only sustained a few cracked ribs when she was thrown from the bike and this is her recount of what happened.  We were at a stop sign around 200 ft from our house and she said I had trouble with the bike not wanting to stay stopped.  She said I was fiddling the the clutch and throttle controls where I then decided I needed to put both of my feet on the ground and hold the bike back while holding the front brake. I am 6'3" and weighed 240 at the time and she said I then leaned forward while trying to hold the bike and all of a sudden the bike made a screeching sound and we were off doing a full wheelie.  This all took place in less than a minute and she ended up getting thrown off the bike to the right and 50 ft later I was thrown off the bike to the left where the bike continued to slide down the road for another 100 ft or so stopping across the street from my house. 

My brother in law looked at the bike while I was in ICU and thinks my clutch failed but I still cant figure out why the bike took off the way it did.  Once we did the wheelie I can see me accelerating since I probably grabbed the throttle to keep from falling off the bike. Since then I have had two other 08 riders tell me of unexpected throttle opening one had an accident and was un hurt since the bike rode off into dirt and the other on the highway riding from Sturgis where his bike accelerated by itself and he had to shut it down. 

I have never had an accident on a bike and frankly am not going to ride the dresser again unless someone can tell me why the bike responded the way it did.  If anyone has experienced trouble with their throttle on an 08 I would appreciate hearing from you since I know Harley has found the throttle will reset idle if you hit the kill switch and your hand is resting on the throttle which it should not do and I worry about anyone getting killed like I almost did because of their bike.  I know this is a serious issue for a first post but I felt I needed to let fellow riders in on my misfortune. 

For the record I ended up cracking 4 ribs and totally breaking two on my right side, broke my right collarbone, right shoulder blade, collapsed my right lung and bruised my heart yet had almost no marks on my leather vest and only two small scratches on my helmet.  I was on a respirator for 3 1/2 weeks due to two cases of pneumonia while in ICU had to have a tracheotomy and ended up losing 35 lbs. I am recovering but still in pretty good pain 12 weeks later and look forward to riding next summer hopefully at least on my chopper until I can determine what happened on the Dresser.  Sorry for the long winded and morbid post and I hope to be posting other more pleasantitems in the future
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 07:30:09 PM by JCZ »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: 2008 SE Ultra Crash
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »

Gee Clary

Hell of a first post.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your recovery.

That's a scary thing to happen.

Have to wonder if it's the TBW?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:22:57 PM »

the most obviuos thing i could think to check with the clutch is fluid level in resevoir and is the bleeder tight
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 02:24:35 PM »

Welcome to the site glad to have you join us. :2vrolijk_21: So sorry to hear of your accident, hope you recover/heal soon, and are back in the saddle/wind soon.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

AZSSE

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »

Wow !! I'm glad your wife is ok, and I hope you have a full recovery. I hope you don't ever have to post something like this again, and by the way, welcome to the site.

bisounours

• SMF Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »

Good afternoon emcclary

:welcome_005: on the CVO website  :2vrolijk_21:

I send you the  :welcome_005: from FRANCE

Hope the best for your wife and you !

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

sullyboo

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 fxdse2
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »

Welcome from New Jersey. I hope your wife and you get well soon.
Sullyboo

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »

emcclary welcome aboard  :2vrolijk_21:

I hope you have a full recovery

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »

laissez les bon temps rouler - from Bourbon St, New Orleans! 
              :drink:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:06:41 PM »

Welcome to the site at least you can us the time to catch on the site.  Get well.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »

OMG. Well it seems you are on the way to recovery, hence welcome to the site and let the accident not distract you from riding in the future. Do not worry about the post, it makes one think about what can happen if the wrong events happen at the same time. The idle issue on the '08 was discussed in details here, as well as some discussions about the clutch function. You may want to look at those threads for more information. I used to have the same bike, and engaging the clutch with little power would make the engine die, rather than jump ahead. At least that is what most people have experienced, if anything. I am not saying it was a riders fault, but you should have the entire system checked. There is quite something necessary to make a SEUC with a 240 lbs guy do a wheelie, in my opinion. I can understand why you do not want to ride this same bike for now. Keep us posted on what the dealer and the Moco are saying.

Ride safely (from now on)
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »

Sorry about the crash.  Hope you recover quickly.

Welcome from Oklahoma!

emcclary

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »

the most obviuos thing i could think to check with the clutch is fluid level in resevoir and is the bleeder tight

Thanks all for the replies and well wishes. The pain is much better but my breathing still sucks at times from the trach. Naitram right now the bike is parked in my garage awaiting an independent review by an expert to determine what may have caused the accident.  Even the police have it written as mechanical failure of the bike not operator error.  I dont want to open or touch anything until they look at it for obvious reasons.  My insurance company has already sent me a check for the visible damage which totals $12,000+ dollars but it may end up being higher once it gets to the shop.  I have had five different motorcycles and have logged many thousands of miles and this is my first time losing control of my bike.  The sad thing is I cant remember a single thing about the accident and it happened on the way home from a wake for a friend who was killed days earlier in NY state on his bike when he hit the rear of a turning car.

emcclary

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 09:16:49 PM »

OMG. Well it seems you are on the way to recovery, hence welcome to the site and let the accident not distract you from riding in the future. Do not worry about the post, it makes one think about what can happen if the wrong events happen at the same time. The idle issue on the '08 was discussed in details here, as well as some discussions about the clutch function. You may want to look at those threads for more information. I used to have the same bike, and engaging the clutch with little power would make the engine die, rather than jump ahead. At least that is what most people have experienced, if anything. I am not saying it was a riders fault, but you should have the entire system checked. There is quite something necessary to make a SEUC with a 240 lbs guy do a wheelie, in my opinion. I can understand why you do not want to ride this same bike for now. Keep us posted on what the dealer and the Moco are saying.

Ride safely (from now on)
Louis

Louis my clutch doesnt appear to work at all at the moment if the bike is in gear and you pull the clutch it doesnt disengage the trans.  If the clutch had worked the bike would have stayed put at least instead of launching but like I said I cant remember any of it except what my wife told me being on the back and my buddy who was behind me. It didnt happen until I removed my foot from the rear brake to get a better hold on the bike.  My neighbor said the bike made a sound they had never heard from a bike before when we launched as he saw the accident.  I havent tried starting it again for obvious reasons and I will keep every forum informed of what the outcome is. What should I search under for the throttle/ clutch issue posts?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:18:27 PM by emcclary »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »

Welcome from South Florida to this great site  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.