Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice  (Read 13907 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Starting to get wonder if I’m making the right choice
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »

I ride an 04 SEEG.  If my money wasn't funny, I'd buy a SERG in a heartbeat.

Sure, 04 SEEGs had the peeling chrome issue.  For my bike it was just the wheels and HD replaced them at just under two years old, for free.

Some paint issues along the way.....just look your bike over very closely, when you accept it and have them document any paint issues so that you can have them get the parts ordered and get them replaced.

I've also bought the extended service contract (some refer to it as extended warranty) on my last four bikes and I believe that's a good piece of mind once the factory warranty is up.  I've used it and it's paid for itself on all four bikes.

Lastly, I think the other 09 owners will tell you that they've finally worked the heat issue to where it's at least manageable now.  Heat has always been an issue on big motors....remember, they're air cooled.

Having said all that, I also subscribe to Motocycle Consumer News and I see the letters of complaint from all the other makes.....yes, Honda even BMW.  Speaking of BMWs.....if this were a car site, I'd share my experience and frustration there, too. :nixweiss:  I'm betting in short order you'll be very happy with your choice of motorcycle. :2vrolijk_21:

BLM's post above makes some very good points to consider! :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:57:38 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 09:58:05 AM »

Since you're looking at a SERG without lowers, I'd ride the bike some and see if heat is any issue for you.  If you decide that heat is a problem getting rid of the cat, installing free flowing exhaust and a good tune to enrich the mixture will accomplish what I think you are looking for.  There's lot's of threads on here to give you some excellent ideas on various exhaust setups.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:59:44 AM by BLM777 »

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input. I do not plan on making any major upgrades to it. Just the l replacing the seat, passenger foot boards and different windshield. Is it recommended that I replace the air cleaner and exhaust to help keep the heat down? That would be the only mechanical changes I think I would make. Don’t need to go any faster than it already goes. However, I’m willing to make changes to enjoy the bike a little more.  

You guy’s ROCK…

Famous last words...It sounds like you are feeling more secure about the purchase after the first few replies. Even if you end up running into problems, the CVO bikes provide great satisfaction. They look great, have plenty of power, not everybody has one and the CVO bikes provide a special pride of ownership.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »

serg;

You may not have any major issues with your bike at all. Definitely get the extended warranty, IF you do not intend to do major modifications. Changing out exhaust, proper A/F ratio, air cleaner do not count as major mods, and most dealers will not frown on honoring the warranty. Once you start replacing cams, pistons, etc. is when it gets "really iffy"...

the long and short of it is, you may have some problems but you will definitely LOVE the bike.

Here's to many smiling, problem free miles!  :drink:

Flyndyna

Yes they do and I have it in writing from HD's legal department.  Their exact words were "major modifications"  "exhaust changes and high flow air cleaner (which is 100% factory)"  Motor is 100% stock.  Dealer installed SERT and tune.  They basically said those unauthorized modifications caused the issues on all 24,000 110" motors. Its ironic that what we do lowers temps and actually helps a poor design.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:25:48 PM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »

They basically said those unauthorized modifications caused the issues on all 24,000 110" motors. Its ironic that what we do lowers temps and actually helps a poor design.

Clearly, it's not about right or wrong.  It's about saving $$$$.

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »

I guess I've been fortunate.  Besides bad paint, the only challenges I've experienced with my motorcycle have been self-induced. 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »

I guess I've been fortunate.  Besides bad paint, the only challenges I've experienced with my motorcycle have been self-induced.  

No paint issues here but you nailed it Henry on the rest!

::)      ::)       ::)       ::)       ::)

edited to add
crack don't smoke itself!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 12:36:58 PM »

No paint issues here but you nailed it Henry on the rest!

::)      ::)       ::)       ::)       ::)

Yessir.  I have no problems claiming ownership of a challenge for which I'm responsible for causing.  Despite those challenges, I'm having a great time getting them fixed.  I think one of the most fun parts of fixing them is the anticipation of what the bike will be like when it is fixed...................and when I do finally get it fixed and back home...........then what?

Oh yeah...........that's right.............the FLHR needs some self-induced challenges.   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Break 'em.  Fix 'em.  Repeat.  Stay happy.   :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 12:41:53 PM »

edited to add
crack don't smoke itself!

Like any other addiction, that's true.  Gotta have it.   :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 12:53:20 PM »

Like any other addiction, that's true.  Gotta have it.   :2vrolijk_21:

Horsepower!
Now there's a powerful drug!

;)

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »

Horsepower!
Now there's a powerful drug!

;)

Torque is also a good one!   :2vrolijk_21:

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »

Yes they do and I have it in writing from HD's legal department.  Their exact words were "major modifications"  "exhaust changes and high flow air cleaner (which is 100% factory)"  Motor is 100% stock.  Dealer installed SERT and tune.  They basically said those unauthorized modifications caused the issues on all 24,000 110" motors. Its ironic that what we do lowers temps and actually helps a poor design.

I think you're confusing a corporate legal position, which, by the way is entirely necessary to protect against self induced claims, with the likelihood that a responsible dealer would provide warranty work on mods that they approved and installed.  As many threads have mentioned, there are good, average and poor dealerships when it comes to providing warranty service.  I've had exceptional service with regard to warranty work over the years and have never had a question raised when installing the mods that you describe as well as SE pistons, cams and heads.

hogheritage04

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, but rather the journey
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »

I think you have to figure that most people on this forum are "over the top" when it comes to their passion about their rides; be it good or bad.  Having said that, I think you would find that the majority of folks love their rides, and would love to just have everything perfect. Fact of the matter is that no matter what manufacturer, they all have issues.  I have owned several different types of bikes and can say without a doubt, there is nothing like a Harley, not only because of the bike, but also because what is behind it.  The HOG chapters offer a great ability to ride with others and there is a real commraderie within Harley Owners.  I's say, go for it..you'll love it.

REGGAB

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 08:58:50 PM »

I think you have to figure that most people on this forum are "over the top" when it comes to their passion about their rides; be it good or bad.  Having said that, I think you would find that the majority of folks love their rides, and would love to just have everything perfect. Fact of the matter is that no matter what manufacturer, they all have issues.  I have owned several different types of bikes and can say without a doubt, there is nothing like a Harley, not only because of the bike, but also because what is behind it.  The HOG chapters offer a great ability to ride with others and there is a real commraderie within Harley Owners.  I's say, go for it..you'll love it.

Very well put.........except for the next to the last sentence.

I'm just sayin'.   :huepfenlol2:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »

I've had my SEUC for two great years now and the only issue I've had is one set of leaking head gaskets.  She's in for her "product enhancement" right now.  I would buy another CVO with a 110 in a micro second.  The enjoyment I've had on that motorcycle far outweighs any frustrations that the 110 may have caused me.  Which is actually none, because when the SEUC is in the shop, the few times she's been in, I have the Street Glide to ride, so I'm still good to go.   :2vrolijk_21:  Anyway, if you don't think owning a CVO isn't special, then go up with CVO owners group and tour the York factory and CVO facility, then when all those blinged up versions of Harley's finest get lined up to leave and the factory employees come out to take a picture of you...now that's special.  8)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.