Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Billy Lane trial date set..maybe...maybe not. Now Feb. 9.  (Read 6216 times)

RedFXR2

Billy Lane trial date set..maybe...maybe not. Now Feb. 9.
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:43:49 PM »

Bike builder Billy Lane's trial starts in December
BY KEYONNA SUMMERS • FLORIDA TODAY • NOVEMBER 18, 2008

VIERA -- Celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane is set to go to trial in December, more than two years after a fatal head-on crash that left one man dead.

Lane, 38, is charged with one count of DUI manslaughter in connection with the fatal Labor Day 2006 traffic accident.

Police said Lane's blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crossed a double yellow line to pass several cars near Melbourne Beach, striking Sebastian Inlet park ranger Gerald Morelock's motorcycle head-on.

During a pretrial conference hearing today in Viera, Brevard Circuit Judge Meryl Allawas designated the trial as a “priority” for her next trial period -- which lasts Dec. 1 through 12 -- with the understanding that it may have to be canceled if defense attorney Greg Eisenmenger cannot move existing schedule conflicts.

A final determination will be made during a calendar call hearing set for Nov. 21.

Allawas had expected to hear three hours of testimony today on several defense motions seeking to bar trial testimony about blood evidence.

However, Eisenmenger -- who had Lane’s blood samples re-tested earlier this year at an out-of-state lab on the theory that mishandling by police possibly led to contamination and a skewed blood-alcohol reading -- canceled the motion hearing late last week.

“We decided it was probably better tactics for us to raise those issues before the jury during trial, so as to not tip our hand,” Eisenmenger told FLORIDA TODAY in an interview.

Eisenmenger and Assistant State Attorney Tom Brown said they expect the trial to last up to two weeks, and that they anticipate pre-trial publicity could result in a lengthy jury selection process.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200881118016

Billy Lane may get DUI trial in December
BY KEYONNA SUMMERS • FLORIDA TODAY • NOVEMBER 19, 2008

VIERA -- The DUI manslaughter trial for celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane is tentatively set for December.

Lane, 38, faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted on one count of DUI manslaughter in connection with a Labor Day 2006 traffic accident in which 56-year-old Sebastian Inlet park ranger Gerald Morelock died.

Police said Lane's blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crossed a double yellow line to pass several cars near Melbourne Beach, striking Morelock's motor scooter head-on.

During a pretrial conference hearing Tuesday in Viera, Circuit Judge Meryl Allawas designated the trial as a "priority" for her Dec. 1-12 trial docket, with the understanding that it may have to be canceled if defense attorney Greg Eisenmenger or the state's witnesses cannot move existing schedule conflicts.

A determination will be made during a calendar call hearing set for Friday.
Allawas had expected to hear three hours' of testimony Tuesday on several defense motions seeking to bar trial testimony about blood evidence.

However, Eisenmenger -- who had Lane's blood samples re-tested earlier this year at an out-of-state lab on the theory that mishandling by police possibly led to contamination and a skewed blood-alcohol reading -- canceled the motion hearing late last week.

"We decided it was probably better tactics for us to raise those issues before the jury during trial, so as to not tip our hand," Eisenmenger told FLORIDA TODAY in an interview.

Eisenmenger and Assistant State Attorney Tom Brown said they expect Lane's trial to last up to two weeks, and that they anticipate pre-trial publicity could result in a lengthy jury selection process.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811190316
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 02:19:45 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

Re: Billy Lane trial date set....maybe. Or maybe not.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:24:23 AM »

More delays.

Billy Lane DUI manslaughter trial delayed
BY KEYONNA SUMMERS • FLORIDA TODAY • NOVEMBER 21, 2008

Scheduling problems have forced the delay of celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane’s DUI manslaughter trial until next year, his attorney said.

During a hearing today in Viera, Circuit Judge Meryl Allawas “reluctantly” canceled the December trial after the defense and state’s witnesses were unable to move existing schedule conflicts, lawyer Greg Eisenmenger said.

Trials are typically scheduled months in advance to avoid such scheduling problems, Assistant State Attorney Tom Brown told FLORIDA TODAY last week. The trial was tentatively rescheduled for Feb. 9 before Circuit Judge Robert Burger, who will take over Allawas’ court docket when she leaves the bench in January, Eisenmenger said.

Lane, 38, faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted on one count of DUI manslaughter in connection with a Labor Day 2006 traffic accident in which 56-year-old Sebastian Inlet park ranger Gerald Morelock died.

Police said Lane's blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crossed a double yellow line to pass several cars near Melbourne Beach, striking Morelock's motorcycle head-on.

Attorneys said they expect Lane's trial to last up to two weeks, and that they anticipate pre-trial publicity could result in a lengthy jury selection process.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200881121038

Billy Lane DUI trial delayed
Bike builder charged in death
BY KEYONNA SUMMERS • FLORIDA TODAY • NOVEMBER 22, 2008

VIERA -- Scheduling problems have forced the delay of celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane's DUI manslaughter trial until next year, his attorney said.

During a hearing Friday in Viera, Circuit Judge Meryl Allawas canceled the planned December trial after the defense and state's witnesses were unable to move existing schedule conflicts, lawyer Greg Eisenmenger said.

Trials are typically scheduled months in advance to avoid such scheduling problems, Assistant State Attorney Tom Brown told FLORIDA TODAY last week.

The trial was tentatively rescheduled for Feb. 9 before Circuit Judge Robert Burger, who will take over Allawas' docket when she leaves the bench in January, Eisenmenger said.
Allawas lost her re-election bid in November.

Police said Lane's blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he crossed a double yellow line to pass several cars near Melbourne Beach, striking Morelock's motorcycle head-on.

Attorneys said they expect Lane's trial to last up to two weeks and they anticipate pre-trial publicity could result in a lengthy jury selection process.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811220307

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Billy Lane trial date set....maybe...maybe not.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »

thanks for keeping this current.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:49:02 PM »

Did Discovery Channel dump Lane because of that accident? I haven't even seen any re-runs with him???

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:13:05 AM »

The rangers family has waited long enough for justice.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »

The rangers family has waited long enough for justice.

My feelings exactly...Billy should man up and truly take responsibilty for his actions...he has hired two top defense lawyers and in the spirit of O.J. he is trying to get off ....he should be ashamed of himself, get on with the process and quit the the stalling...come on Billy be a true outlaw, like you pretented to be on your Discovry shows, and stand up and be counted...stop hiding, and give the poor family of an innocent victim some closeure to their personal tradgedy.....just my $ >:(.02 worth
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 04:35:15 PM »

I thought I heard some where that there was a $$$ settlement paid by Billy Lane to the family?
I might be wrong.

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 06:13:46 PM »

Did Discovery Channel dump Lane because of that accident? I haven't even seen any re-runs with him???

Not that Duane Chapman killed anyone, but his racist rant at his son over his son dating a woman of color should have put him off the airwaves , but as we all know it didn't. At the end of the day, there is no morality in television on any other form of mass entertainment. It all comes down to ratings and the almighty buck. Hollywood, Broadway, whatever worships at the temple of money and nothing else. If there's still a dime to be made on Billy Lane, you can bet a CVO Harley somebody will have him in front of a camera once again. It is a very sad commentary on life in these United States of American in the year of our Lord 2008 I know, but one that is true.

B B

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 06:46:33 PM »

FYI.........The person who killed my daughter and grandson (RIP) received the highest sentence in the State of Florida for DUI.........26 1/2 years...........

He has to pay for his actions...... :hanged:

SuperMario

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:16:29 AM »

A so-called biker killing a guy on a bike......amazing.   Throw the book at him.   
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 05:06:06 PM »

FYI.........The person who killed my daughter and grandson (RIP) received the highest sentence in the State of Florida for DUI.........26 1/2 years...........

My deepest sympathy's are with you for your loss. I think Billy should be held no lees accountable. I hope his high priced lawyers dont weasle him out of his debt he owes to this family and the public at large..I have a preciuos Daughter and a deliteful  3 y/o granddaughter...if they had been one the one to have been in Billy's reckless path that tragic evenin...he never would made it much past his arraignment, and I would be the one in the news.
  I stopped drinking 27 years ago and also doing any type of drugs...So I have a major problem sharing the roads with anyone under the influence. On the west coast there ia billboard campaign going on right now about not not riding bikes after having taken any drinks or beers...hope fellow riders will heed these warnings and arrive safe and sound and get to enjoy many years of riding. 10 years ago when i moved to Florida I jooined the local hog chapter...their riding style was all about riding for an hour or so...stop for lunch....you the types "ride to eat...eat to ride"...and lunch always seemed to consist of many of them pounding 2 or 3  beers in the one hour lunch....need less to say i stopped riding with them after a couple of these episodes.
   As a sober rider, I have no problem with people that enjoy drinking...that being said, I DO NOT want to share the road with these impaired riders :orange:

2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

One day, mi amigo .... one day

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »

My deepest sympathy's are with you for your loss. I think Billy should be held no lees accountable. I hope his high priced lawyers dont weasle him out of his debt he owes to this family and the public at large..I have a preciuos Daughter and a deliteful  3 y/o granddaughter...if they had been one the one to have been in Billy's reckless path that tragic evenin...he never would made it much past his arraignment, and I would be the one in the news.
  I stopped drinking 27 years ago and also doing any type of drugs...So I have a major problem sharing the roads with anyone under the influence. On the west coast there ia billboard campaign going on right now about not not riding bikes after having taken any drinks or beers...hope fellow riders will heed these warnings and arrive safe and sound and get to enjoy many years of riding. 10 years ago when i moved to Florida I jooined the local hog chapter...their riding style was all about riding for an hour or so...stop for lunch....you the types "ride to eat...eat to ride"...and lunch always seemed to consist of many of them pounding 2 or 3  beers in the one hour lunch....need less to say i stopped riding with them after a couple of these episodes.
   As a sober rider, I have no problem with people that enjoy drinking...that being said, I DO NOT want to share the road with these impaired riders :orange:

Thanks mi amigo.....I don't wish anyone to live the moments that I did..........I had to go to Court for several days while he was in the trial and seeing the assassin of my most two lovely persons in front .......f^*#@ is terrible  >:(

You have a PM with my cell.................

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »

Thanks mi amigo.....I don't wish anyone to live the moments that I did..........I had to go to Court for several days while he was in the trial and seeing the assassin of my most two lovely persons in front .......f^*#@ is terrible  >:(

You have a PM with my cell.................
I can not imagine the pain and hate that would over come me if something like that happened to my daughter and grandson. I admire your courage and your ability to cope with your loss. you are a better man than I.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »

I can not imagine the pain and hate that would over come me if something like that happened to my daughter and grandson. I admire your courage and your ability to cope with your loss. you are a better man than I.

Don't say that mi amigo....Those days I was like a "zombie" ....I couldn't believe that was happening..........it was like a nightmare and I believed that when I was going to awake they would be here.......but now the reality is that they are gone and they are in my heart and memories every second of my life  :'(
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.