Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Oil thru Crash Bar  (Read 4515 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Oil thru Crash Bar
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »

#2 shot

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 12:40:09 AM »

last shot

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2008, 08:07:31 AM »

Thanks Sportygordy.  :) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »

last shot

That's an idea I'd never thought of before.  Will give it a go.  Thanks very much.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »

That's an idea I'd never thought of before.  Will give it a go.  Thanks very much.

I was thinking of this last night, and was wondering if semi trucks have larger bleeders which would improve oil drain flow and time. But being they use air brake systems not sure if bleeders are used. I'm sure now someone will improve on this, i only ask that they share so we can all benefit. As i explained earlier, this kit will drain your oil filter in less then 15 min with warm oil. It helps to lean the bike a bit towards the oil filter, kick stand works great. I've been using this for two years and never had them dreaded oil messes since.  I takes a whole five minutes to throw this together,,, good luck CVO members, I hope this works for you..  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 04:46:00 PM by sportygordy »

Wildrat

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »

I have a piece of thin gauge sheet metal that is 2 inches wide by 24 inches long. I slip it under the oil filter and have a gallon bucket at the other end to catch the oil in preparation for when it starts to flow. If you have completed the steps above you are ready to make it flow. It is real easy not unless you are a felon and not allowed to have firearms, if this is the case with anyone, I will address a method for you. OK, what you want to do is to get a hand gun, large caliber. I use a .45, now take a pliers and loosen the bullet in the case and gently pull it off. Dump about half the powder out. Put a little super glue around the bullet and put it back in the shell and allow to dry. Then load it into the handgun, wear goggles, aim toward the bottom of the oil filter and fire. If done correctly oil will begin to flow, if you missed try again. If you hit the case, just go down to the dealer and explain what happened, at this point they will tell you it's covered under warranty.
Now for those not allowed to have a hand gun for reason. Do all the steps except the firing part. Take your filter wrench and loosen the filter slowly allowing the oil to flow into the bucket.

Although the first method is the easiest, the no handgun method works equally well. I have even done the no handgun method and was not embarrassed doing it.
Good Luck!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2008, 02:50:45 PM »

WILDRAT, thats funny. and you know some dumis is going to try.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Wildrat

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »

I received the KBS Coating kit today. It looks like I will have some cleaner, and rust inhibitor left. The kit comes with a small can of coating, hopefully I will get both crash bars done before it starts setting up. They say it is activated by air. I think if I pour half into one set of bars and put the lid back on coating, I will have time to do the other set of bars.

SuperMario

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2008, 11:53:34 AM »

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but a crash bar (engine guard) is nothing but a hunk of pipe!  It can't really do much, if anything, to aid in the cooling of engine oil since it has no finned areas to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does. I would surmise that it's only benefit to helping cool your oil would be simply the increased engine oil capacity. Just my .02.           :soapbox:
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »

I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but a crash bar (engine guard) is nothing but a hunk of pipe!  It can't really do much, if anything, to aid in the cooling of engine oil since it has no finned areas to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does. I would surmise that it's only benefit to helping cool your oil would be simply the increased engine oil capacity. Just my .02.           :soapbox:

Did anyone on the site stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  They'd know for sure...

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »

Did anyone on the site stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  They'd know for sure...

I think you were successfull in sparking off curiosity with anyone that didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.. So what happened at Holiday Inn Express last night.. a free night???

Wildrat

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »

I'm not an engineer and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express but I did Google and reviewed information at various other Motorcycle forums and some of the fellas that are not engineers and they did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express either but have a oil temp gauge installed said the oil temp dropped on average around 10 degrees F. I would say that's a 10 degree drop I do not have now, and from reading temp drops when the tiny little coolers they sell for the bikes do about the same. One other thing to think about is this, some individuals do not wear helmets so they can keep their head cool, they do not have finned areas on their head to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does but their heads stay cool. I will say this though. There is a good chance that if you choose not to wear a helmet to keep your head cooler, there is a good chance your head will have fins installed when it goes thru the front grille and radiator of an automobile.  :vrolijk_24:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »

I'm not an engineer and I did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express but I did Google and reviewed information at various other Motorcycle forums and some of the fellas that are not engineers and they did not stay at the Holiday Inn Express either but have a oil temp gauge installed said the oil temp dropped on average around 10 degrees F. I would say that's a 10 degree drop I do not have now, and from reading temp drops when the tiny little coolers they sell for the bikes do about the same. One other thing to think about is this, some individuals do not wear helmets so they can keep their head cool, they do not have finned areas on their head to allow ambient air to pass through like a real oil cooler does but their heads stay cool. I will say this though. There is a good chance that if you choose not to wear a helmet to keep your head cooler, there is a good chance your head will have fins installed when it goes thru the front grille and radiator of an automobile.  :vrolijk_24:

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SuperMario

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2008, 03:59:19 PM »

Okay.....I just got off the phone with the guy at the front desk of the Holiday Inn Express.  His brother-in-law's mailman's nephew knows a guy that went to college with a girl whose uncle read somewhere on the internet that there were some motorcycle guys, one of which knew some Harley dude who ran oil through his crash bar and absolutely SWORE up and down that the reason his oil temperature dropped ten degrees was due to the increased oil capacity. After my phone call, I pondered it for awhile and then said to myself, "self........could this BE?"  Of course it could!!
Officially old enough to be a Geezer Glide pilot.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »

Heat transfer does not require a finned surface.  If it did, we could all save a fortune on insulation for our homes, and we could place our hands on the smooth surface of a wood stove without a subsequent trip to the emergency room.  Fins improve the transfer efficiency by increasing the surface area.

The "crash bar" oil cooler will reduce oil temps for both reasons.  It will transfer some heat to the surrounding air through the pipe, and it will also provide more oil volume which will in turn allow more time for the oil to cool between trips through the engine.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.