Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERG Radio Overheating Problem - Anybody Dealt with This?  (Read 1070 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
SERG Radio Overheating Problem - Anybody Dealt with This?
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »

I notice on my '01 SERG that when the weather turns hot and/or the sun beats down on my windshield/dash that my radio (presumably because of the heat) starts to cut out and get "static-ie" until it the sounds from the audio can't be discerned.  If I turn the radio off for 20-30 minutes and back on, it may go another 15-30 minutes before the problems start again.  I contacted RadioSound about a replacement radio and John responded that this is a common problem with RG's, becaused of their closed fairings.  Said the radio is doing what it should that the amplifiers are trying to regulate the excessive heat.  Says he doesn't know of fix.  Has anyone had their problem and solved it?  I have the 12-disc CD in my trunk so whichever way I go, I'd like to maintain that feature.  It's about 30 degrees here now and the radio will be just fine all winter.  I know because I've been through this cycle (hot and cold weather) with this bike for three years. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas or advice and ride safe,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: SERG Radio Overheating Problem - Anybody Dealt with This?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »

BLUE,  john at rsi is very good . if he didn't have an answer find some one who will swap radio's with you for a while  and see if there is any change.    axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »

Can only speak to one summer's experience with mine.  It never behaved as you described.  I do have a HawgWired amp in the system so part of the work is being done outside the radio and with its own heat dissipation.  Anyone's guess whether that is making a difference though.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »

Thanks Axil and Twolanerider - the Hawgwired Amp is interesting.   I thought maybe my amps were reacting to the heat too soon (weak maybe?).  The swap out to test it is also a good idea.  One of the guys in our local HOG club went to a marine radio and has been happy with that set up - he however didn't have the 12-disc player to contend with.

thanks again,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 24 queries.