Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: D&D Fat Cat's w/ Performance Baffle  (Read 14413 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
D&D Fat Cat's w/ Performance Baffle
« on: August 25, 2005, 03:12:38 AM »

Here are some pictures of the D&D's with the False left side.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

Re: D&D Fat Cat's w/ Performance Baffle
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 03:14:01 AM »

False Side
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 03:15:15 AM »

Back View

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:25:35 AM »

First Impressions of the pipe:

Are they loud
YES, maybe to loud even though I can hear the stereo
I may buy a stock muffler and try it as well just to have a comparison on loudness and sound.

Do they seem to make the bike run better
Seems to climb through the RPM range a bit better  No dyno done yet to do a true numbers comparison to the rhineharts.

The Fake side is very very hard to tell its fake when looking at the motor they did a really good job with the mounting.

When will I have the new dyno runs done?
Hopefully within the next 2 weeks depending work and on the impending storms that are due to arrive here in Florida over the next week

I was at 94 hp and 98 tq with the Rhineharts.

HDJamsTX

• Full CVO Member
  • It's Hammer Time!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 04:02:08 AM »

Looks great [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

You say  "Seems to climb through the RPM range a bit better"  do you
think your feeling actual power gain or could the increased sound level
just be playing with your mind?

I know you haven't had alot of seat-time with this yet, but do you think
there (as good or better) than the Rineharts you just took off?

Really looking forward to seeing your numbers when you get them....

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 08:13:30 AM »

Thanks for the report Unbalanced,

Was the stereo easier to hear with the rineharts?
What rinehart baffles did you use?
Was the power difference ...major or slight... noticable power gain?

Sorry about the questions, but I think this is the comaparison that a lot
on this board would like to hear more about. Would be great to hear a little
more comparison of the two from personal standpoint.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 09:11:29 AM »

I'm anxious to see the results after it's dyno tuned.  
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Tonys

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 09:38:27 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but why did you take the rhineharts off?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:37 AM »

Its not playing with my mind it definately has a benefit.  I am guessing its the back pressure.   I rode for a couple of hours last night and its real.   The dyno should tell me how real it really is but that is going to have to wait a bit.   The biggest place I am noticing the changes in the way the bike is reacting is about 2600 to about 4800 it seems to be the place where it just seems to come alive a lot better.  The dyno tune / run  run should help support and see how accurate the seat of my pants is.

On the rhineharts I had both the 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 inch baffles recently I had gone back to the 2 1/4 just to see if there was a performance difference and there was I gained a bit more down low and lost a tiny bit up high.

A personal comparison ... The rhineharts are definately a quieter pipe overall, but for anyone who has ever had a 2 into 1 you will conceed that the 2 into 1  is generally louder over any true dual.   If I hadnt had so many problems with the left side pipe I probably would never have switched.   I didnt like the look of the VH pipes so it left me choices of Thunder Header, D&D, White Brothers or Sampson or Hooker.

Of these I went for the D&D to get performance, and what I considered the best chrome available in a pipe and a pipe that I would feel satisfied with that was a 2 into 1 Since I didnt like my alternatives in a true dual.

Lets face it the D&D isnt a cheap pipe in terms of dollars so as anxious as you guys are I am also quite anxious to see how it performs on the dyno.   Again to reiterate I will try the small baffle just to see if it isnt quite as loud and if I really lose that much performance when I try it.   It will be a simple test just a bit pricey for a test :).

Tony's there is a whole thread on the subject of why I got rid of my Rhineharts, but simply put after many many pipes cracking I decided that enough was enough and when I called Bub about it they felt with the number of RMA's that it was an equitable resolution since I was quite frustrated.

Stereo was easier to hear with the rhineharts no doubt, but at half volume I can hear it just fine others may have less issues.  I am a bit hard of hearing, so it is quite relative.

The pipe being loud isn't really a minor concern, so please don't read more into it you guy just asked for the feedback.   So to sum it up if I hadnt had issues with Bub's pipe would i have ever of switched prolly not as I liked the sound and look of the rhineharts.   Do I feel the D&D was a good choice  yes I do but time will be the real test.  If the D&D out performs the Rhineharts then I will probably be even happer with them than I am now.

One thing that so far has pissed me off is when I talked to D&D tech on the phone he said they had race tuner maps then with the pipes it came with a piece of paper that said call our tech adn we will email you ups the maps to you when I called asking for them they gave me some bullchit that said thats an old piece of paper in the box so i said then why did your tech offer them as welll ... Well the tech is gone now, so i figure they dont know where to find the stuff at this point.   I really wanted to try a map from them since they claim its been done with all the lambda sensors and should be quite accurate even though no two motors are exact it should get you pretty close.   I am waiting for a call back from them today /fingers crossed

If I missed any questions you guys had let me know :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 10:38:30 AM by Unbalanced »

MAVERICK

• Senior CVO Member
  • IN GOD WE TRUST! ALL OTHERS PAY CASH !!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 10:40:33 AM »

Nice exhaust system. I new I should have bought the D&D Fat Cats.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif]
Life is too short. I like to slide in sideways whenever I can with a marqarita in one hand and a fine babe ridin bitch, screamin Oh!! what a ride!!

Remember ride it like you stole it and bone it like you own it !!!

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »

hey Mav,

Is the sound real crisp...any popping or crackle on decel or when shifting.
I have been told the sound is deeper rumble that rineharts but at idle doesnt have
the traditional Harley sound. Sorry to keep goin on...but I am trying to decide between
the two very pipes you have had. I need to make a decision soon since bike is on the way.

Promise...this is the last question.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:08:46 PM »

Its not playing with my mind it definately has a benefit.  I am guessing its the back pressure.   I rode for a couple of hours last night and its real.   The dyno should tell me how real it really is but that is going to have to wait a bit.   The biggest place I am noticing the changes in the way the bike is reacting is about 2600 to about 4800 it seems to be the place where it just seems to come alive a lot better.  The dyno tune / run  run should help support and see how accurate the seat of my pants is.

On the rhineharts I had both the 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 inch baffles recently I had gone back to the 2 1/4 just to see if there was a performance difference and there was I gained a bit more down low and lost a tiny bit up high.

A personal comparison ... The rhineharts are definately a quieter pipe overall, but for anyone who has ever had a 2 into 1 you will conceed that the 2 into 1  is generally louder over any true dual.   If I hadnt had so many problems with the left side pipe I probably would never have switched.   I didnt like the look of the VH pipes so it left me choices of Thunder Header, D&D, White Brothers or Sampson or Hooker.

Of these I went for the D&D to get performance, and what I considered the best chrome available in a pipe and a pipe that I would feel satisfied with that was a 2 into 1 Since I didnt like my alternatives in a true dual.

Lets face it the D&D isnt a cheap pipe in terms of dollars so as anxious as you guys are I am also quite anxious to see how it performs on the dyno.   Again to reiterate I will try the small baffle just to see if it isnt quite as loud and if I really lose that much performance when I try it.   It will be a simple test just a bit pricey for a test :).

Tony's there is a whole thread on the subject of why I got rid of my Rhineharts, but simply put after many many pipes cracking I decided that enough was enough and when I called Bub about it they felt with the number of RMA's that it was an equitable resolution since I was quite frustrated.

Stereo was easier to hear with the rhineharts no doubt, but at half volume I can hear it just fine others may have less issues.  I am a bit hard of hearing, so it is quite relative.

The pipe being loud isn't really a minor concern, so please don't read more into it you guy just asked for the feedback.   So to sum it up if I hadnt had issues with Bub's pipe would i have ever of switched prolly not as I liked the sound and look of the rhineharts.   Do I feel the D&D was a good choice  yes I do but time will be the real test.  If the D&D out performs the Rhineharts then I will probably be even happer with them than I am now.

One thing that so far has pissed me off is when I talked to D&D tech on the phone he said they had race tuner maps then with the pipes it came with a piece of paper that said call our tech adn we will email you ups the maps to you when I called asking for them they gave me some bullchit that said thats an old piece of paper in the box so i said then why did your tech offer them as welll ... Well the tech is gone now, so i figure they dont know where to find the stuff at this point.   I really wanted to try a map from them since they claim its been done with all the lambda sensors and should be quite accurate even though no two motors are exact it should get you pretty close.   I am waiting for a call back from them today /fingers crossed

If I missed any questions you guys had let me know :)

Unbalanced I had similar experience with getting the maps from D&D (it took weeks) and when the maps came they did not have a map specific for our bikes and their naming convention sucks (the closest match did lots of backfiring and popping). Hopefully things have improved, that was over a year ago. Overall after having the bike dynoed I really like the preformance of the Fat Cat  2into1 and I would disagree that this pipe is louder than Reinharts.
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »

Displacing Air,

I put up a file for you to hear the bike at idle originally i did it small so it could be uploaded here without taking up much space then I found out I couldnt upload it here.  Maybe Naitram can put up some ftp space for stuff like this that isn't per se a jpg or pdf.

If its not long enough for you to get an idea please let me know I can make a longer file for you and let you download that.

Yes the sound is definately more throaty then the Rhineharts.   I like em

http://bellsouthpwp.net/u/n/unbalanced/FatCat_Probaffle.MPG

O'fender do you have the stock muffler that they send or did you get the perfomance baffle?  I was told there is a difference in sound.   With the map I have in the bike there is very little backfiring only when i hit full throttle and just let it go to hear it idle down.   My rhineharts did it to so its not something unique to the pipe :)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:40:46 PM by Unbalanced »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »

Unbalanced

Great report!
Can we get a picture of the connection between the FALSIE (such an ugly word) pipe and the real pipe?  (a close up)

Hope you get the mapping straightened out before you come to the hills of NC.

Looking forward to riding together.
But if you don't have your chit together when you get here,,, please don't look for compassion from the throttle hand!
When I finish I will have your drink waiting in the freezer for you when you finally catch up. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

I love good competition!
Hope you are.

again, good report on the D&D's [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 03:32:06 PM »

hd2003 there was nothing wrong with the mapping I want to see what they have compared to what my local guys can do.   Its nothing more than a sanity check and who knows maybe learn something or a trick here or there through comparison or it might just help me ask the right question somewhere along the line.  

Here are some pictures I had to turn the flash off to get you good pictures since the chrome really makes this hard to see with glare.   It looks so good that even if you look close unless from the bottom side you would be hard pressed to ever tell the difference.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 20 queries.