Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Speaking Of OCD.... Well Now I Am!!!!!  (Read 3167 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Speaking Of OCD.... Well Now I Am!!!!!
« on: December 09, 2008, 02:23:56 PM »

I purchased the chrome switch replacement covers for the hand controls for my '08 SERK.  I would imagine they snap onto switch studs of some sort and on the rockers, the cover probably pivots on the center sides like on a seesaw.

But, and there's always a but, I was told that the mechanics hate to do these as they sometimes break the switches getting them apart.

I realize that the control housing will need to be taken loose from the bars and the switches removed on the rocker switches and maybe the side to side cruise switches they might just pop off.

Are there any secrets that might help me out in doing this seemingly simple job?

Thanks in advance for the info and help.

;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

SPIDERMAN

Re: Speaking Of OCD.... Well Now I Am!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

My advice is to disconnect your brake lines and all wire blocks and unbolt the riser clamps and pull the entire handlebar assembly and get yourself comfortable at a table or work bench with a stool and above all take your time. You'll need a set of pics and pin connector push tools too. If you get frustrated, put down the parts and walk away until your patience returns. These little suckers look fabulous when completed but are indeed a royal pain.

B B

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »

My advice is to disconnect your brake lines and all wire blocks and unbolt the riser clamps and pull the entire handlebar assembly and get yourself comfortable at a table or work bench with a stool and above all take your time. You'll need a set of pics and pin connector push tools too. If you get frustrated, put down the parts and walk away until your patience returns. These little suckers look fabulous when completed but are indeed a royal pain.

B B

B B, Thanks.

I've got a neat work table that I get to use on stuff like this quite often.  I was at a County auction many years ago and they were auctioning off hospital tables.  These were the ones with the adjustable height that have the one side vertical upright that will slide under a hospital bed and over your lap.  They work great for working on a car as you can just slide the lower wheel frame under the car and the table part goes into the engine compartment with you.  The top even slides open for storage or if you want to primp your hair, there's a mirror available for that....

I think I can slide that right up under the handle bar control with one side high and do all the work from that table top, or at least I'll see how it all fits.

I'm just a bit leery about the ABS brakes and the fluid along with the inside wiring in the handle bars.  I understand what you mean by getting it all on a bench and comfortable, but I'll see what I can do on the bike first.

I have picks etc and I can make special lift tools if necessary.  It would help if I knew the type of fastener or the way each button attaches.  The cruise button has to come off to replace the switch so I'm assuming it will come off the easiest, probably a straight pull will do on that one.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 03:08:42 PM »

Just dont forget to put a 1/8 spacer(piece of cardboard) in your brake handle otherwise you will break the brake light switch!
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »

B B
Could not have been said any better. Brian has obviously done this. :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 04:20:48 PM »

:orange: I just paid the HD mechanic for 1.5 labor to do that job after i screwed up two switches.  easiest part of the job was the ride to the dealer.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »

There have been a couple of threads on this subject. you might want to do a search. my recollection is that doing them is a pain in the a** but if you are mechanically inclined and have lots of free time, do a post when you are through and let us know how it turned out.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 05:54:58 PM »

Look at the back of each new switch, you'll see how each attaches.  Just takes patience.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:02 PM »

The stock switch caps are thinner than the chrome one, they come off ez. I use a heat gun to warm up the chrome ones and they flex a little better, made it ez
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:26:45 PM »

:orange: I just paid the HD mechanic for 1.5 labor to do that job after i screwed up two switches.  easiest part of the job was the ride to the dealer.

I see you read the other thread :2vrolijk_21:  Plus you got to look at all the other stuff you need/like/want :bananarock:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28351.0
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:28:36 PM by RJ749 »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »

The first time i tried to install these were on my 04 CVO. I tried to install them while the housing's were attached to the bike. After breaking two covers i gave up and scraped the idea. On my 2008 while working on a bar replacement project, and with benefit of having the housing off the bike and on a work bench, I successfully installed the remaining covers left over from the 04 install. It pretty much was a breeze having them on work bench verses on the bike. I had to purchase another complete kit to finish it off. The moral here, If you get the housing on a work bench as others suggested you should not have any problems.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 05:45:06 AM »

I did mine on the bike with the housing open. really was ez. if you use a heat gun, oh by the way. make sure you lay the cap on a towel while heating and carry in the towel ;)
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »

Mi amigo Dan.....those chrome caps are a pain.....you need only PATIENCE!! I have done that three or four times in my bikes except the right turn signal, for me is the hardest of all so the dealer took care of this one in particular......

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions.

It will probably be after the holidays before I tackle this project.

The heat gun sounds like a good suggestion given the fact that it does get cold even here in St. Louis.  I'll turn up the heat in the garage and get out the heat gun and see where it takes me.

Thanks again guys.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 09:55:58 PM »

I've bought the chrome switch cover kit but haven't put them on yet.  Heck, I thought it would be a piece of cake to do but after reading this thread I'm alittle scared.  ( and I'm an aircraft mechanic )  Think I'll wait alittle longer. 
Jesus is Lord
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.