Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Mikey's build of his 2000 FXR4  (Read 49654 times)

revinkevin

Re: Mikey's build of his 2000 FXR4
« Reply #210 on: February 13, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »

BEAUTIFUL MIKEY !!!!!!!!!!

I imagine you have a ring compressor ... for those that don't an appropriately sized hose clamp works just as well.

lovin this dude  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #211 on: February 13, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »

BEAUTIFUL MIKEY !!!!!!!!!!

I imagine you have a ring compressor ... for those that don't an appropriately sized hose clamp works just as well.

lovin this dude  :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks  ;D

Yup, I have a ring compressor  .. as you said, you can use a hose clamp, but for some they may find that the ring compressor is 'maybe' easier to use ....
you can pick one up for 6 bucks at Advance Auto..... 9 bucks at sears,  8 bucks at Auto Zone
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #212 on: February 13, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »

bad day in the garage .... nothing broke, but nothing put together either ..... :'(

I went out to work on it this morning... with all expectations that I might have it back together today/tomorrow, and the my battery cable would be in on Monday ....

HOWEVER ... first thing, right off the bat ... I started to put some oil on the cylinder studs, and found that on the front cylinder, the front left stud was loose ...

so much so that I unscrewed it and removed it from the case with my thumb and finger ....

soooooooooooo, I read the manual to find out how to install the studs ..... make a couple of phone calls, THANKS PAUL !! (littlebear) .....

I've decided to replace the entire set of studs. SOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo a trip down to the stealers place (I was going into town anyway) .... nope, not in stock ... he has 3 in stock THREE ??? what's up with that ... someone replace ONE stud ... OK, well, I'm putting in a new set of SE studs. 50 clams, they will take a bit more compression than the stock studs, and should I ever build it up more I'll be good in this space.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo, I call my Indy and tell him to order me a set, 49.99 .... he says that he should have them by Monday or Tuesday ......... sooooooo the build is on hold AGAIN

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

elvislee

« Reply #213 on: February 13, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

bad day in the garage .... nothing broke, but nothing put together either ..... :'(

I went out to work on it this morning... with all expectations that I might have it back together today/tomorrow, and the my battery cable would be in on Monday ....

HOWEVER ... first thing, right off the bat ... I started to put some oil on the cylinder studs, and found that on the front cylinder, the front left stud was loose ...

so much so that I unscrewed it and removed it from the case with my thumb and finger ....

soooooooooooo, I read the manual to find out how to install the studs ..... make a couple of phone calls, THANKS PAUL !! (littlebear) .....

I've decided to replace the entire set of studs. SOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo a trip down to the stealers place (I was going into town anyway) .... nope, not in stock ... he has 3 in stock THREE ??? what's up with that ... someone replace ONE stud ... OK, well, I'm putting in a new set of SE studs. 50 clams, they will take a bit more compression than the stock studs, and should I ever build it up more I'll be good in this space.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo, I call my Indy and tell him to order me a set, 49.99 .... he says that he should have them by Monday or Tuesday ......... sooooooo the build is on hold AGAIN

Mikey, some days just suck don't they man? Hang in there and drink a few Bud's and relax a bit. Harness and direct the CHI flow grasshopper and all will be well  ;D Your doin a great job man; just think; nothing f'd up and the end in sight...The light is at the end of the tunnel and it ain't no train  :2vrolijk_21:

he has 3 in stock THREE ??? what's up with that ... someone replace ONE stud ...

:zroflmao: :zroflmao: Your a friggin riot man :zroflmao: :zroflmao:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:51:39 PM by elvislee »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #214 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »

Mikey....

Awesome photos......so tell us about the "Studs" what did you learn about the STUDS that "Paul" helped you with.....? ? ?

I want to know if you are going to keep your rocker box covers off until you get your push rods adjusted.....and then install the rocker covers....

How is your front motor mount is it in good condition? 

Mikey have you ever done adjustable push rods before?  Sometimes having a couple of extra hands is helpful.....but not necessary....

Purple loctite eh....?  wow....

So let's see.....how about telling us how you did your rings and gapped them how about showing the ring compressor"  hey and don't be affraid to add a few X's along the way you know where you add a post but don't say anything and then you have the spot for later if needed.....

Hey I want to hear/read about what the indy said about advancing the curve on your cam please.

Regards,

Tim

elvislee

« Reply #215 on: February 14, 2009, 12:29:03 AM »

Mikey....

Awesome photos......so tell us about the "Studs" what did you learn about the STUDS that "Paul" helped you with.....? ? ?

I want to know if you are going to keep your rocker box covers off until you get your push rods adjusted.....and then install the rocker covers....

Mikey have you ever done adjustable push rods before?  Sometimes having a couple of extra hands is helpful.....but not necessary....

So let's see.....how about telling us how you did your rings and gapped them how about showing the ring compressor"  hey and don't be affraid to add a few X's along the way you know where you add a post but don't say anything and then you have the spot for later if needed.....

Hey I want to hear/read about what the indy said about advancing the curve on your cam please.

Regards,

Tim

Patience Grasshopper...Patience  ;D

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #216 on: February 14, 2009, 12:31:41 AM »

some people are just so demanding .................  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

elvislee

« Reply #217 on: February 14, 2009, 12:47:11 AM »

some people are just so demanding .................  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Our buddy is just so inquisitive  :zroflmao:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #218 on: February 14, 2009, 12:50:24 AM »

Mikey....

Awesome photos......

Thank you !

so tell us about the "Studs" what did you learn about the STUDS that "Paul" helped you with.....? ? ?
Paul told me that I should be sure to check around the stud hole for 'cracks' in the case.... It's impossible to tell why the stud was loose .. loose a long time ? Came loose when I took the head bolt out ? Was there a base gasket leak in that spot before ?  (no, but some weeping) ... Paul provided me with suggestions about how to consider re-installing the stud .. such as 'red loctite'  .. even though the SM says that the studs come with a 'loctite patch' on them ... which means the user does not have to apply it ... so it's NOT FORGOTTEN .. and sometimes it's just good to talk to someone that has wrenched on these things before.  And that he took the time out of his work day early in the AM to take my call !!

I haven't decided this, YET.  However I am inclined to putting the covers on it, close it all up, mount the engine back in the frame, then adjust the push rods.  Not much (IMO) can really be seen by leaving off the top two rocker covers ..... I can find TDC of the cylinders without have the rocker covers off .... everyone better be able to do that !!

If I didn't know that it was 'used', I'd think that it was new !!  It has no signs of wear whatsoever .....

Mikey have you ever done adjustable push rods before? 
Hell no !!  This is the FIRST TIME that I've EVER opened up the engine !!!!!!   :D

Sometimes having a couple of extra hands is helpful.....but not necessary....
I'm thinking ... I could use some help, but I am sure I'll find myself doing it alone, and that don't scare me none............. nope.......... not at this point !!

Yeah, interesting huh .... so whut I found out about it is this .... it doesn't hold as much as 'BLUE' ... and so is often used in places like the timing rotor ... where you just need a lil assurance that the bolt won't back out .... not much stress on it ....

So let's see.....how about telling us how you did your rings and gapped
Pictures to come ... Tomorrow I hope

them how about showing the ring compressor" 
Pictures to come ... Tomorrow I hope

hey and don't be affraid to add a few X's along the way you know where you add a post but don't say anything and then you have the spot for later if needed.....
That's a good idea .... I've been thinking about when, where, how to post up at the end .... the sequential steps that I've gone through ... more so for the 'assembly' than for the disassembly .... you know, a good writeup with pics ... one cohesive document ....

Sort story is ... it's one to one ............. if you DO NOT change the pinion gear or anything else ... then 4 degrees of retardation on the cam gear retards your entire cam timing.
So if you have a 40 degree closing intake valve, and retard the cam gear on the cam shaft by 4 degrees, your intake will now close at 36 degrees..... or is it the other way around  LOL .... in any case, he said that it was a direct correlation .... and if you changed the pinion gear, and then also rotated the cam gear on the shaft, you'd have to go over to the college and find someone over there to tell you want the timing changes would mean   LMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Tim
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #219 on: February 15, 2009, 04:54:29 AM »

Mikey have you ever done adjustable push rods before?   :D
Hell no !!  This is the FIRST TIME that I've EVER opened up the engine !!!!!!   

UH HUH GRASSHOPPER......

"If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk.
 When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw. When he's finished, he'll ask you for a napkin.
Then he'll want to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache.
When he looks in the mirror, he might notice his hair needs a trim.
So he'll probably ask for a pair of nail scissors.
When he's finished giving himself a trim, he'll want a broom to sweep it up.
He'll start sweeping. He might get carried away and sweep every room in the house.
 He may even end up washing the floors as well! When he's done, he'll probably want to take a nap.
You'll have to fix up a little box for him with a blanket and a pillow.
He'll crawl in, make himself comfortable and fluff the pillow a few times.
He'll probably ask you to read him a story.
So you'll read to him from one of your books, and he'll ask to see the pictures.
When he looks at the pictures, he'll get so excited he'll want to draw one of his own.
He'll ask for paper and crayons. He'll draw a picture.
When the picture is finished, he'll want to sign his name with a pen.
Then he'll want to hang his picture on your refrigerator.
Which means he'll need Scotch tape. He'll hang up his drawing and stand back to look at it.
Looking at the refrigerator will remind him that he's thirsty.
So... he'll ask for a glass of milk.
And chances are if he asks you for a glass of milk, he's going to want a cookie to go with it."

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #220 on: February 15, 2009, 09:47:32 AM »

OK, so I was working on my build. And getting ready to put the cylinders back on ..... I was cleaning up the threads on the cylinders studs when I found that the stud on the left front of the front cylinder was loose.

It was loose enough to remove by hand :yikes:

So I had some suggestions from my Indy and a couple of others, that I should consider replacing all 8 studs. So I decided I'd do that.  There were none in stock so I ordered them on Friday past.

So yesterday I decided to remove the other 7 studs just getting ready for when the new ones came in.

What I found out was that the stud on the left rear of the front cylinder was also loose. Not so much that I could remove it by hand, but with the wrench it required no 'real effort' to unscrew it about halfway, then I could remove it by hand.  The other 6 studs were truly tight in the case. They actually required force to unscrew them.

I need to find out why those two studs where loose.

1) before the tear down there was no sign of oil leaks at the base of either cylinder

2) last night I spent about 1/2 hour with a work light, flash light and a large magnifying glass looking for any signs of cracks or failures in the case.  I found NOTHING

So, my questions are:

1) anyone out there every find loose cyl studs after your tear down ?

2) were you able to determine why the studs were loose

3) what did you do about it ?

Thanks for any insights that you may be able to offer

Mikey

EDIT:

The stock studs on this bike, and all new ones, come with a loc-tite patch on the stud. So the user 'can't forget' nor has to, put any loc-tite on the studs.  So, the theory is, that they should have bee loc-tited when installed from the factory.

This bike is a 2000 FXR4 and this is the first time that it's been opened up.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:57:53 AM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:55 PM »

OK, some 'SMALL' progress on the build.

I decided to put the cir clips in one side of the pistons while they are on the bench.  There's several threads around the various forums with pics telling/showing how to do this.
It was my experience that some of these ideas don't work for the stock pistons on the 1340 EVO.

1) the example of the 3/4 inch copper coupling..... won't work. The coupling is larger in diameter the the hole for the cir clip, and 1/2 inch is too small
1a) if you have some 'other' pistons, like the ones in the picture with the copper coupling, you need to be sure and buy a coupling WITHOUT a 'STOP' inside it. Otherwise your 5/8 inch socket will not pass through the coupling

First thing I did was put some assembly lube on my finger and run it around inside the opening where the cir clip was going to be installed

It took me several attempts to get the first one in, and it DID NOT fly off anywhere  :teeth:

I started out trying to have the opening of the cir clip at 12'oclock. At 6'oclock there's a little notch for a pick tool for removing the cir clip, so you want to make sure when you install it, that the opening IS NOT at the 6'oclock position.  So it JUST SEEMED LOGICAL to start it at 12'oclcok.

The problem that I encountered with that is that the clip kept getting caught up on the left hand edge of the little notch for a pick tool for removing the cir clip and I couldn't get it past that point -

I couldn't hold the clip, the pencil and the camera all at the same time .... well, not the way I wanted ... look over at the left side of that notch, that's the edge that the clip gets caught on if you start with the opening at 12'oclock

So it dawned on me that I needed to rotate the clip and start it at 2'oclock so that it would already BE PAST the little notch when I started pushing it in with my screwdriver...

you see in that picture above, look at the top of the clip, you see that it just outside the slot that is cut in the side of the piston, squeeze it down with your thumb and under that lip, hold it down with your thumb .... like this

after you get past about 7'oclock you won't even need to hold it, you can just keep pushing it with your screwdriver

almost installed, just one more lil push with the screwdriver and the cir clip opening will be at about 3'oclock

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:53:58 PM by fxr4mikey »
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2009, 01:15:23 PM »

Mike

Good stuff.....told ya I was still here!

JW

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »

Mike

Good stuff.....told ya I was still here!

JW

:-D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »

Mikey.....

I am readin too....just no energy to post at this time......but I am readin.....keep postin.....your doin an amazing job!!!!

Regards,

Tim
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 20 queries.