Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Camera lens for bike shows  (Read 5211 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Camera lens for bike shows
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 05:51:01 PM »

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 05:51:51 PM »

A hint for those using the VR lens - if you put the camera on a tripod turn off the VR. Mounted on the pod the VR will cause the opposite effect

Duane, give the whole thing a good wack to get it shaking first.  That should even things out ::) .

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »

i think he quoted a D-90 earlier

RedDevil is using the D-90, Puzzled got the D-80

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »

Duane, give the whole thing a good wack to get it shaking first.  That should even things out ::) .

You know Don - you just amaze me sometimes with the "why didn't I think of that first" stuff. There is a reason why you are the Grand PooBah here, despite Gary's best efforts  :nervous:

H'mm, 1 quick slap will cut the extra work in half - 1 slap instead of turn off - turn on  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »

You know Don - you just amaze me sometimes with the "why didn't I think of that first" stuff. There is a reason why you are the Grand PooBah here, despite Gary's best efforts  :nervous:

H'mm, 1 quick slap will cut the extra work in half - 1 slap instead of turn off - turn on  :2vrolijk_21:

Thank you :huepfenlol2: .

All kidding aside that's something I've noticed a difference with between my Canon glass and my sister's Nikon.  Her stabilized lens behaves as you describe.  My Canon's don't though.  Some peculiar difference in how they do what they do.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2009, 06:05:20 PM »

Most welcome

Isn't the Canon VR in the body?

MV 2013

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2009, 06:08:32 PM »

There is no competition when it's family... you should know that. :P ::) :D ;D :D ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009, 06:13:24 PM »

There is no competition when it's family... you should know that. :P ::) :D ;D :D ;D

I don't know Gary - sometimes with family its all about the competition - don't you have kids?

MV 2013

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »

I don't know Gary - sometimes with family its all about the competition - don't you have kids?
Yep, but they don't compete... against each other. May have sibling rivalry's but no down and dirty competitions.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »

A hint for those using the VR lens - if you put the camera on a tripod turn off the VR. Mounted on the pod the VR will cause the opposite effect

Duane,
I'm not a big user of a tripod, unless I'm going to be taking time exposures, portraits, or when I had my 35mm, long barreled telephoto lenses.  I prefer to go hand held whenever possible and with the VR built into these new lenses, it gives me the opportunity to go tripod-less a lot more.  I feel I can be more creative and spontaneous if I don't have to worry about setting up a tripod everytime.  But you're right, shut the VR off when using a tripod especially if you're using a remote shutter release.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »

As I posted earlier in this thread I ordered the 18-55 and the 55-200. It has been shipped and I should receive them Friday. All is good, or so I thought.....

I stopped by the local camera shop today and tried out some lenses. First I'll say I should have purchased from these people, they could not have been more helpful. Moving on, I tried several lenses including the 18-200, that is the lens for me. I bought it with no regard to the fact that the lenses I ordered will accomplish the same thing. I simply have no desire to carry a second lens with me so this all in one "should" do the trick. The shop owner offered to take the lenses I ordered and either sell them on consignment or take them toward a trade on different merchandise. I'll sit on them for awhile to see if I'll use them and if not I'll head to the store with the lenses in tow and pick up a flash.

This is the lens I was going to recommend...it's almost the only lens you'll ever need, unless you get into specialized photos.  18mm is good for the wide angle, capture it all stuff, but the rest of the range lets you isolate the things your want to from a nice working distance.  You'll probably never use the other two lenses, so might as well send them back.  Other good choices would be something in the 300mm range, like the nice but inexpensive Nikon 70-300, (film format) which will be even longer in digital format.  SLR film lenses...multiply times 1.5 to get the digital equivalent.  I think I'm right on that.  :nixweiss:  Something in the 12-24mm range is nice too, but will be very pricey, as it will have a fixed minimum aperture (f4), even while zooming.  Faster lenses (F2.8; F3.5; F4) will always cost more than variable aperture lenses like most zooms (F3.5-F5.6, for example).  In Nikon lenses, always look for the ones with ED (extra low dispersion) glass in at least one of the lens elements....they will give you sharper and more colorful images.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

This is the lens I was going to recommend...it's almost the only lens you'll ever need, unless you get into specialized photos.  18mm is good for the wide angle, capture it all stuff, but the rest of the range lets you isolate the things your want to from a nice working distance.  You'll probably never use the other two lenses, so might as well send them back.  Other good choices would be something in the 300mm range, like the nice but inexpensive Nikon 70-300, (film format) which will be even longer in digital format.  SLR film lenses...multiply times 1.5 to get the digital equivalent.  I think I'm right on that.  :nixweiss:  Something in the 12-24mm range is nice too, but will be very pricey, as it will have a fixed minimum aperture (f4), even while zooming.  Faster lenses (F2.8; F3.5; F4) will always cost more than variable aperture lenses like most zooms (F3.5-F5.6, for example).  In Nikon lenses, always look for the ones with ED (extra low dispersion) glass in at least one of the lens elements....they will give you sharper and more colorful images.

Terry,
As always, excellent advice.   :2vrolijk_21:  You were spot on on the conversion between a DX format (APS-C) (D300, D90, D80, etc) and the full-frame FX (D3, D3X, and D700) lenses...a 70-200mm DX/APS-C compatible lens equals a 105-450mm in full-frame 35mm language.  An excellent every day lens is the Nikor 18-105mm which normally comes with the D80 and above (not mine though), if you go other than body-only and get a kit lens.  My D90 came with the 18-55 and 55-200 mm lenses.  I'm looking into getting the 70-300 mm lens also, but will wait until I can get a decent deal on one. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »

SLR film lenses...multiply times 1.5 to get the digital equivalent.  I think I'm right on that.

Close enough for motorcycle junkies TC.  1.5 or 1.6, forget which.  Some of the latest models don't have the shift at all.  Processor same size for image cores in both types.  Quite frankly while I can appreciate the benefit for someone doing really high end work I like having the "free" extra long lens that comes from putting good film glass on the digital.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »

I went this route after seeing Porthole's pics with it. Not quite as compact as the smaller point and shoots, but I found the smaller ones severely lacking in zoom capability. This one has an 18x zoom. Excellent pics! ;) :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26114/COOLPIX-P80.html

Hoist! 8)
   Same camera I'm using now & love it.Really great at the wet T-shirt contests.Love the 18x zoom.
        Carried it in a tank bag like Duane showed in an earlier post with on an 8500 mile trip with no ill effects
        to the camera or the paint.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2009, 11:19:10 PM »

The stabilization is in the lens for canon. I’ve shot canon for so long now I couldn't switch.
My favorite lens is the 85mm f1.2 and the 70-200mm f2.8

Its amazing the low light capabilities of good glass.
I now have a file storage problem as my new camera is 21mp. with the raw and a small jpg file size is huge.
Been shooting a canon 20d,   just got a 5d mkll. Weight is a downside for sure.

the quality of the point and shoots are quite impressive now,  there hard to beat for travel. i need to pick one up. :huepfenjump3:

Take more pics

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 20 queries.