Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Camera lens for bike shows  (Read 5198 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Camera lens for bike shows
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2009, 11:33:46 PM »

The stabilization is in the lens for canon. I’ve shot canon for so long now I couldn't switch.
My favorite lens is the 85mm f1.2 and the 70-200mm f2.8

Its amazing the low light capabilities of good glass.
I now have a file storage problem as my new camera is 21mp. with the raw and a small jpg file size is huge.
Been shooting a canon 20d,   just got a 5d mkll. Weight is a downside for sure.

the quality of the point and shoots are quite impressive now,  there hard to beat for travel. i need to pick one up. :huepfenjump3:

Take more pics

TN

Same thing here.  Too much of an equipment/accessory library to ever start using anything else.  Though I'm still using the 40D and the 1DS MII that I've had in service for quite awhile now.  Some newer models I'd be very interested in playing with.  But so far haven't found anything I can't do with the current bodies that I could do with the newer ones.  So it's hard to justify the change.

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »

My advice when I give workshops is to buy the camera will accomplish what you need it to do and don't worry about all the bells and whistles. With digital I do suggest buying the best lenses that you can afford and one that is compatible with your system, as lens quality does have a impact on image quality.

Faster lenses, which allow you to select a larger aperture, in turn allowing more light in are more expensive but are also made to higher standards and are more money.When we say faster lenses it means that they have a larger front lens element and is capable of allowing more light in, not focus speed.
Todays digital SLR cameras(removable lenses) have awesome capabilities in low light (high ISO) that was not possible a couple of years ago. Combined with  Nikon VR(vibration reduction) and Canons version called IS (Image stabilization) you are able to take indoor images that were not possible a few years ago without a tripod. I shoot a lot of sports and concerts so it is nice being able to have options for carrying lighter equipment.

Keep in mind the small sensor size of the point and shoots is the downfall of these cameras. Most have sensors that are smaller than one half inch across. The smaller the sensor -the more digital noise that the images will have when you shoot indoors. Compared to a DSLR that has a sensor that is much larger(From postage stamp size to a full frame that has a sensor the same size as a 35mm negative had) it varies by model.
A ten megapixel point and shoot camera is still at a disadvantage compared to a 10 megapixel SLR style because the actual pixels are smaller in order to fit on the sensor.  I have 6 year old 3 megapixel pro digital cameras that will still give me more detail than  a new 10mp point and shoot delivers.(Not even close)

As stated above if you can find a knowlegable  local camera specialty store you will get much better advice than a box store or e store will give.

Sorry to ramble on.

Rob

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:58:15 AM by rganz »
Rob

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »

Duane,
I'm not a big user of a tripod, unless I'm going to be taking time exposures, portraits, or when I had my 35mm, long barreled telephoto lenses.  I prefer to go hand held whenever possible and with the VR built into these new lenses, it gives me the opportunity to go tripod-less a lot more.  I feel I can be more creative and spontaneous if I don't have to worry about setting up a tripod everytime.  But you're right, shut the VR off when using a tripod especially if you're using a remote shutter release.

Agree with the tripod. The VR gives 2-4 stops extra, depending how steady you are to begin with. I only use the tripod when maxing out the zoom (I have the 70-300VR lens too)trying to get pictures of our resident eagles in the early evening.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »

The stabilization is in the lens for canon. I’ve shot canon for so long now I couldn't switch.

There is a distinct Advantage with Nikon over Canon in that area. Over the past 50 years every Nikon lens will work on every Nikon camera (caveat - some do require slight modifications and DX lens are limited in sensor coverage) Heck, Nikon lens can even work on Canon rigs with an adapter.

Canon took the big step forward back in the mid 80's by marketing a completely new and incompatible system.

Here is a useless tidbit Did you know that Nikon and Canon are primarily "lens companies" that just happen to make cameras?

MV 2013

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2009, 03:15:03 PM »

Nikon and Canon are primarily "lens companies" that just happen to make cameras?
Very true and now they are also forced to be makers of the film too.
Rob
Rob

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

Very true and now they are also forced to be makers of the film too.
Rob

HeHe!!! What's film? ::) ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2009, 03:30:23 PM »

HeHe!!! What's film? ::) ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)
             That's the stuff Kodak used to make all the money on.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »

Here it is a year or so later and I have been through several lenses trying to decide which ones I like. At one point I was up to five lenses, 18-55 VR, 55-200 VR, 18-200, 28-300 VR and my newest 10-24. The 10-24 is a keeper as well as the 28-300 VR as they cover a wide range. The D80 has been absolutely great. If I actually had a clue how to use it that would be nice. :-[ While loitering at the camera shop we were talking about camera bodies and the differences. This led to the talk of me trading in my D80 for a D90. So after the Cincy show that is what I'm going to do. If all goeas as planned I'll have it for Daytona. I still won't know how to use it but I'll look all fancy with it!  ;)
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »

If your looking for a travel DLSR camera Mike I would go with a D40 body and keep what you have.

Is the 10-24 a Nikon?

Before I hit the road this year on the bike I will be carrying the D40 instead of the 300, same capabilities and much lighter - smaller.

MV 2013

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:49 AM »

The 10-24 is a Tamron, $500. Nikon has one also at $800

I don't know camera jargin so here it goes. The talk was about what ever is inside that actually captures the image. I believe the D90 is sized to your 300. The 80 and down was smaller. I believe this relates to speed also, again it was all camera jargin! ;D
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »

Technically the D90 is better the then D300 ANd loads cheaper). Mechanically the 300 has the edge due to the metal body.

Here is a good site. This guy is a film fanatic so he tends to lose sight of the rest of the world. But a lot of good info. And tons of Nikon info.

And as a pro you would be surprised at what he carries around all the time.

D90 page
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90.htm

Main page
http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Daily update page (the one I hit mostly).
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

This is the other site I frequent.

What I Like here is the camera you are interested is usually compared to other similar models.
The D90 page is compared directly to the D80.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond90/

And pixels are not everything - as you will learn on Rockwell's site.

MV 2013

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 20 queries.