Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Hilton Head, South Carolina  (Read 1941 times)

Wildrat

Hilton Head, South Carolina
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »

If you ever go to this island of mostly snoots and your planning on riding your bike there you will want to call and make sure the place you will be staying is bike friendly. Several locations on the island do not allow bikes. We have never had this problem before so it came as a surprise after riding most of the day when the resort guy that had a death wish came out right off the bat with an attitude about the bikes. I kept  quiet though and after the wife to spoke to him, and I ignored him when he would speak to me, he settled for speaking to the wife. I did not want to say anything because it would only make things worse. We ended up at another resort on the ocean, and it was very quiet and peaceful until the two people with the Harley's would start their bikes.
Moral of the story: Call and make sure bikes are allowed where you stay.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Hilton Head, South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »

If you ever go to this island of mostly snoots and your planning on riding your bike there you will want to call and make sure the place you will be staying is bike friendly. Several locations on the island do not allow bikes. We have never had this problem before so it came as a surprise after riding most of the day when the resort guy that had a death wish came out right off the bat with an attitude about the bikes. I kept  quiet though and after the wife to spoke to him, and I ignored him when he would speak to me, he settled for speaking to the wife. I did not want to say anything because it would only make things worse. We ended up at another resort on the ocean, and it was very quiet and peaceful until the two people with the Harley's would start their bikes.

I wish I had known you were in town, I was on island this afternoon.
Most of the resorts on the island do not allow bikes on property. I have found this to be the case in Myrtle Beach as well as Florida. I ride with my dog in my truck as a deterrent and have been told that I can not come on the property because he was in the truck. Just the way some of the properties operate.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »

How about a CVO club ride to the Islands   :orange:

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 09:46:38 PM »

How about a CVO club ride to the Islands   :orange:

Oh, there's plenty of places to go! Check out VIC's Tavern in Pineland Station. Or the Zone over at Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Resort. Plenty of bike parking at both. When shall we meet?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »

Oh, there's plenty of places to go! Check out VIC's Tavern in Pineland Station. Or the Zone over at Hilton Head Beach and Tennis Resort. Plenty of bike parking at both. When shall we meet?

After the 2,800 mile ride to get there my butt would be wore out. But it sure is tempting, sounds like fun. It's got to be a spring ride for sure...  :2vrolijk_21:

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 04:25:37 AM »

(...)
I kept  quiet though and after the wife to spoke to him, and I ignored him when he would speak to me, he settled for speaking to the wife. I did not want to say anything because it would only make things worse.
(...)
I admire your patience, Sir.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:26:07 AM »

Kiawah is even worse, won't even let motorcycles on the island! A bunch of snobs!!! >:( >:( >:(
Mike
 :drink: :drink: :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »

they are special. just ask them. :coolblue:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Wildrat

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »

Yes they do seem to think they are special. We were in Publix shopping but needed info also. I always like to ask the locals for information. So I asked this elderly woman a question and you should have heard her accent, you would have thought she was the queen of something, queen of sh*tland, I guess. I spoke to another one about seafood and two women got into this conversation, another blue blood woman and a regular woman. The blue blood kept talking about some chef at some restaurant, the other lady said a lot of people like this other place, the blue blood said they fry all their food. We ended up at the fry all their food place. It had Crab in the name and it was on 278 on the east side by the old island museum.
As far as Florida, I have never been denied access anywhere on my bike. I've never been denied access anywhere until I went to Hilton Head. I'm home now, my dog was glad to see me as usual, my neighbors from New York area finally got fed up with each other and choose to fight till blood is drawn. I still don't know what happened with them, all the detectives would say is that alcohol was involved. Nothing new to me, they were always drinking and fighting.
Why is it that some people from that area of the country are so angry all the time. It was the same thing with HVAC work. I would go to their house to fix their AC and they would be angry with me, just what you want to do, upset the AC man before he works on your AC.
Anyway, Hilton Head was OK, the resort was nice, but I do not think I will be going back again. I kinda think that now, we will just do riding tours, as I like riding more than I like staying at one place for too long.
We passed 25K on the bikes on the trip, so we went to Golden Isles HD and got the HOG Mileage club paper signed. The people were very friendly there, but they were busy.
We also went to Savannah while there, it was OK, but I think once is enough for going there also. The cobblestone street by the river was pretty bumpy, and the tourist loved the bikes sitting in front of the little HD shop that was there. Several Japanese tourist will be able to show their friends pics of themselves standing by a HD Street Glide.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »

Wildrat
Glad you enjoyed your trip.
Next time you get up this way let us know. there are a few of us in the area ( Charleston to south of Savannah )
looking for a reason to ride and have a beer!
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »

Hilton Head has always been snobby and will probably always be that way.  Next time try Savannah, about 1/2 hour south and a much nicer, friendlier town. Many many places there, both motels and restaurants, are biker friendly and don't have the attitude that the HH crowd does.  We stop in Savannah often on our way to Florida and never had a bad time there.  Oh, and its cheaper than HH  to boot!

"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

Wildrat

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »

Yes they do seem to think they are special. We were in Publix shopping but needed info also. I always like to ask the locals for information. So I asked this elderly woman a question and you should have heard her accent, you would have thought she was the queen of something, queen of sh*tland, I guess. I spoke to another one about seafood and two women got into this conversation, another blue blood woman and a regular woman. The blue blood kept talking about some chef at some restaurant, the other lady said a lot of people like this other place, the blue blood said they fry all their food. We ended up at the fry all their food place. It had Crab in the name and it was on 278 on the east side by the old island museum.
As far as Florida, I have never been denied access anywhere on my bike. I've never been denied access anywhere until I went to Hilton Head. I'm home now, my dog was glad to see me as usual, my neighbors from New York area finally got fed up with each other and choose to fight till blood is drawn. I still don't know what happened with them, all the detectives would say is that alcohol was involved. Nothing new to me, they were always drinking and fighting.
Why is it that some people from that area of the country are so angry all the time. It was the same thing with HVAC work. I would go to their house to fix their AC and they would be angry with me, just what you want to do, upset the AC man before he works on your AC.
Anyway, Hilton Head was OK, the resort was nice, but I do not think I will be going back again. I kinda think that now, we will just do riding tours, as I like riding more than I like staying at one place for too long.
We passed 25K on the bikes on the trip, so we went to Golden Isles HD and got the HOG Mileage club paper signed. The people were very friendly there, but they were busy.
We also went to Savannah while there, it was OK, but I think once is enough for going there also. The cobblestone street by the river was pretty bumpy, and the tourist loved the bikes sitting in front of the little HD shop that was there. Several Japanese tourist will be able to show their friends pics of themselves standing by a HD Street Glide.

We did the Savannah thing, short ride from HH.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 06:02:22 PM »

The cobblestone street by the river was pretty bumpy, and the tourist loved the bikes sitting in front of the little HD shop that was there.

Not many folks ride their bikes on Riverstreet!  Last time I rode on it one of our krewe when down and his wife broke her leg on the fall.  But you da man!

:)

1Joker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »

:bananarock: I'm with AJ let's meet at Vic's Tavern!!!! :2vrolijk_21:
Salmon, the other pink meat!

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 09:41:58 PM »

Not many folks ride their bikes on Riverstreet!  Last time I rode on it one of our krewe when down and his wife broke her leg on the fall.  But you da man!

:)

I bet that the Marriott Riverfront is on River Street?  Planning on staying there Sunday and Monday before the OBX Rally...

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.