Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dang Deer  (Read 4936 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Dang Deer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 08:56:59 PM »

Ain't that the truth. I don't even enjoy riding in my cage on country roads at night anymore for fear of one of them jumping out. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Bad thing, D00d, is that the afternoon encounters are becoming as frequent as the night ones.......I think the mc community has a crisis on it's hands.   How many more riders have to be maimed or killed before we mount a counterattack?   :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »

Bad thing, D00d, is that the afternoon encounters are becoming as frequent as the night ones.......I think the mc community has a crisis on it's hands.   How many more riders have to be maimed or killed before we mount a counterattack?   :-\ spyder
That's true. Unless the vegetation is extremely thick I feel more comfortable during daylight when I can use my peripheral vision to see activity on the sides of the road better. Don't know what the answer will be I know locally I see so much development where they used to roam freely, but now that they have no where to roam they are ending up on the roads. :(

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »

I don't agree JR.......it appears that the hunters are mainly taking trophies instead of 'meat' which isn't making a 'dent' in the population explosion.....natural predators have all but been eliminated in the areas around here and the hunting season seems to increase the deer jumping into bikes on the roadways as they're 'pushed' (as someone earlier mentioned).  I don't know what the answer is....it's for sure that we're not going to be increasing their habitat as they increase their #'s.  It's making the country rides much less enjoyable anticipating one crashing out of the woods into you.  That's all I know.  :(  spyder

How bout having the hunters start at the road and work their way in!  :rifle: :rifle: :rifle:  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »

How bout having the hunters start at the road and work their way in!  :rifle: :rifle: :rifle:  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Well, we did it with the Buffalo once, maybe a universal open season on all the 'tickbags' (as someone earlier referred to Bambi).  :jack: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 11:05:23 PM »

It's not just the country roads.  I live in the middle of 1.3 million people, but we have greenbelts throughout the city.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't see one, sunshine or not.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

It's not just the country roads.  I live in the middle of 1.3 million people, but we have greenbelts throughout the city.  Hardly a day goes by that I don't see one, sunshine or not.
Well, for those passing thru Durham, NC......there will be 17 less chances of getting mauled over by Bambi.  Just saw on the News that Duke University had a 'controlled hunt' to thin the head on their campus this Fall.  Report stated it was a 'controversial' hunt.  I can imagine the Bambi Rights crowd trying to stop anything like this in the future.  :(   spyder

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 02:25:22 PM »

Well, for those passing thru Durham, NC......there will be 17 less chances of getting mauled over by Bambi.  Just saw on the News that Duke University had a 'controlled hunt' to thin the head on their campus this Fall.  Report stated it was a 'controversial' hunt.  I can imagine the Bambi Rights crowd trying to stop anything like this in the future.   :(   spyder

I'll go out on a limb here and say none of those types probably ride motorcycles or have a loved one that has gone down by one of these critters! Maybe we ought to have open season on them and the enviromental extremists that IMO are ruining this great nation! :-[ :-[ :-[

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »

Thanks to your Angel for getting you to lucky #13 and godspeed that's the last!

Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 07:33:06 PM »

Ok, we all talk about how we talk about things and it jinx's us.... Well I had to take (in my Yukon) my daughter to pick up her car out in the country this afternoon. We were behind this pickup  and all of a sudden two deer jumped across the road in front of the pickup.... first deer (Momma) gets across the road... second deer (fawn w/o spots) not as lucky. Pickup slammed on brakes (so did I) but couldn't stop in time. They hit the deer, it kind of slid on the road up under the truck to the side of the road. Deer jumped up w/that "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes and hauled freight into the woods. The guy in the pickup stopped and got out, and as we went around we didn't notice any damage to his truck. Talking about sheer luck. Only good thing about the episode it gave me the opportunity to emphasis to my young daughter how she has to be careful riding on country roads this time of year.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »

Ok, we all talk about how we talk about things and it jinx's us.... Well I had to take (in my Yukon) my daughter to pick up her car out in the country this afternoon. We were behind this pickup  and all of a sudden two deer jumped across the road in front of the pickup.... first deer (Momma) gets across the road... second deer (fawn w/o spots) not as lucky. Pickup slammed on brakes (so did I) but couldn't stop in time. They hit the deer, it kind of slid on the road up under the truck to the side of the road. Deer jumped up w/that "deer in the headlights" look in his eyes and hauled freight into the woods. The guy in the pickup stopped and got out, and as we went around we didn't notice any damage to his truck. Talking about sheer luck. Only good thing about the episode it gave me the opportunity to emphasis to my young daughter how she has to be careful riding on country roads this time of year.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I'm telling ya.....it's getting worse.......bad in a cage, but really bad on a scooter.  :( spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »

I'm telling ya.....it's getting worse.......bad in a cage, but really bad on a scooter.  :( spyder
Yea it is. :( This particular road I had noticed a dead deer on the side of the road when I was on it Friday.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:03 PM »

The Game and Fish people has caused this over population of deer. Holding back on the limits and the lenghts of the seasons. They say they are not responsible for the deer if it kills or injures someone or causes damage. Because they say its a wild animal. I know this because I ask a Wildlife officer myself. But kill one deer to many or out of season then its they're deer you killed and you pay for it dearly. If they were liable I bet we'd have a WHOLE LOT less deer.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 10:05:42 PM »

John now that you got one of those flashie motorsickles them deer should be able to see you now...  :huepfenlol2:

What you need to look out for is kids in cars.....
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Miss Kitty

• Admiral's Screaming Eagle
  • Full CVO Member
  • Silver Bullet BSR

• CVO1: 09 CUSE {BSR}
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »

It was Aug. 2, 2005 around 6:30 P.M.  I was by myself riding my 2003 Ultra when all the sudden something hit me broadsided from the left. The deer hit me low and got caught up under my bike causing me and the bike to fall on the left side aswell. The out come was a totalled bike and a broken left lower leg which was turned around backward(open fracture) MRSA Staph infection and 1 dead deer. Since then I have gone thru 12 operations and as I write this I"m  wearing an aircast boot looking at  operation #13. I thank God I'm still alive and it sure didn't scare me from riding again!!! My Eagle will be out in the garage waiting for me to recover. I've put several miles on the eagle since I refractured my leg again OUCH!!!!!!!!!

I will definitely be praying for you! You take it easy ok? God bless.

Miss Kitty

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 12:25:51 PM »

Hi all, I'm back well my 13th surgery was a below the knee amputation. The bone was breaking down due to the infection and I would have just kept breaking it. Anyway I'm recovering from that and hopefully I'll have a new leg and riding by late summer. I still plan on going to the 10th Anniversary party in Arkansas vie car :( . I'm going to have my new leg made up with the CVO Harley theme. The guy making the leg said for me to come up with a drawing or picture and he'll make it happen. So I'm asking my CVO family for any ideas I saw a leg done with Palm trees and the ocean in the back ground. Just think your art work will give a whole new meaning of putting your best foot forward  :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 24 queries.