Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dang Deer  (Read 4935 times)

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
Dang Deer
« on: January 02, 2009, 03:12:22 PM »

It was Aug. 2, 2005 around 6:30 P.M.  I was by myself riding my 2003 Ultra when all the sudden something hit me broadsided from the left. The deer hit me low and got caught up under my bike causing me and the bike to fall on the left side aswell. The out come was a totalled bike and a broken left lower leg which was turned around backward(open fracture) MRSA Staph infection and 1 dead deer. Since then I have gone thru 12 operations and as I write this I"m  wearing an aircast boot looking at  operation #13. I thank God I'm still alive and it sure didn't scare me from riding again!!! My Eagle will be out in the garage waiting for me to recover. I've put several miles on the eagle since I refractured my leg again OUCH!!!!!!!!!

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: Dang Deer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:28:48 PM »

glad you have high spirits! that is alot to go through...i'm out riding again after a deer colision..Dang deer!!!!
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:32:52 PM »

glad you have high spirits! that is alot to go through...i'm out riding again after a deer colision..Dang deer!!!!

WooHoo!!! Glad to hear that Marc!!! Happy you're feelin a lil better!!! Healthy and Happy New Year to ya man!!! :drink: :huepfenjump3: :2vrolijk_21:

And very sorry to hear of your crash too RGLIDE! Hope you're feelin better soon too! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:47:28 PM »

Sorry to hear this......there's just too many deer/scooter accidents going on....I don't remember it having been this bad in the past.  You say you were riding alone....who stopped to assist you after the accident?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

RGLIDE

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:37:07 PM »

Some guy was driving by about 30 min later heard me yelling at him as he drove by. I was an EMT years ago so I was controlling my bleeding the best that I could. And trying to stay calm.

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:57:45 PM »

Damn Rglide thats rough.  You must have a gaurdian angel bro.  Take it easy.  Hope 09 brings you better luck and improved health.

If you mount a side car, I'll ride shotgun for ya. :2vrolijk_21:

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »

tis lucky 13op 4 u i hope!

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »

Sorry to hear about the wreck. The scooter can be fixed!!!! As long as you can continue to heal all is well. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family in these times. Get better and get back out there. Ditch
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 10:13:38 AM »

Sorry to hear about it, and good luck with your recovery.

Dang deer!

Maybe its worse now as they lose habitat.  Maybe its the dang neighbors feeding the dang things!  I see them every day where I lived for the last 14 years, won't jinx my good luck by saying I haven't hi... but had a couple of close encounters where they were inches away.

One of them did hit my wifes car while it was parked!  We had two cars parked close to the garage door last halloween, and next morning found the hood/fender smashed.  THought it was vandals until we looked closer.  I found deer hair on the car, and clumps of it on the windshield wipers.  Then found all the scratches, long twin scratches about the size of deer hooves.  We figured it got spooked, tried to jump the first car, landed on the second, and scratched all over trying to get free.

Dang deer!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »

rglide,
What a story, sorry to hear of your accident and all the complications. Wishing you all the best for a full recovery and that you'll be back in the wind soon. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 03:37:33 PM »

Damn this happened Aug. 2, 2005 and you're still going through surgery? Sorry to hear about that incident. Deer have to be one of the stupidest animals around, at least in this country. Good thing they don't taste like chicken.

Hope you get the surgery done right and recover quickly and get her back out in the wind.

:drink:
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 05:01:48 PM »

RGLIDE,
Sorry to hear about your " DEER ENCOUNTER " !
Glad that you are on the mend and hope # 13 will be the last.
Prayers go out for your complete recovery.
Best to you and your's for 2009.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 08:22:31 PM »

OUCH! It hurts me to read about it! :'( I was going to Maggie Valley in 06 with my buddy who was riding behind me. That was until a deer did the same thing. He faired out much better than you with a broken wrist and some ribs. Wish they would keep deer season open year round!!! God Bless ya brother and I will be praying for healing on your leg. :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »

OUCH! It hurts me to read about it! :'( I was going to Maggie Valley in 06 with my buddy who was riding behind me. That was until a deer did the same thing. He faired out much better than you with a broken wrist and some ribs. Wish they would keep deer season open year round!!! God Bless ya brother and I will be praying for healing on your leg. :2vrolijk_21:
I don't agree JR.......it appears that the hunters are mainly taking trophies instead of 'meat' which isn't making a 'dent' in the population explosion.....natural predators have all but been eliminated in the areas around here and the hunting season seems to increase the deer jumping into bikes on the roadways as they're 'pushed' (as someone earlier mentioned).  I don't know what the answer is....it's for sure that we're not going to be increasing their habitat as they increase their #'s.  It's making the country rides much less enjoyable anticipating one crashing out of the woods into you.  That's all I know.  :(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 08:52:23 PM »

I don't agree JR.......it appears that the hunters are mainly taking trophies instead of 'meat' which isn't making a 'dent' in the population explosion.....natural predators have all but been eliminated in the areas around here and the hunting season seems to increase the deer jumping into bikes on the roadways as they're 'pushed' (as someone earlier mentioned).  I don't know what the answer is....it's for sure that we're not going to be increasing their habitat as they increase their #'s.  It's making the country rides much less enjoyable anticipating one crashing out of the woods into you.  That's all I know.  :(  spyder
Ain't that the truth. I don't even enjoy riding in my cage on country roads at night anymore for fear of one of them jumping out. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.