Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: FXR Fuel Tank Rattle?  (Read 7598 times)

elvislee

Re: FXR Fuel Tank Rattle?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »

Hey guys...I'm bumpin this thread up cause I was readin a few minutes ago in the Twin Cam section about the who, where, when, why, and hows in changing fuel filters. It got me to thinkin about the little deal I had with my petcock and thinking of the fuel filter on our Fxr's. So I ask has anyone had to or decided to change their fuel filter on their Fxr? Also; has anyone put an additional in-line filter on their Fxr? Don't know the in-line would be needed; but just curious? Also if ya did put on and additional in-line; did ya have any problems? I looked at mine many, many times over the past couple of weeks having had my gas tank off at least 6 times and it seems it would be a bit tight if ya even tried to put one in. About the most logical place for an in-line I guess would be cut into the fuel line just above the carb inlet valve which the fuel line from the petcock connects to; but, that seems as if it would be a very snug fit. So, what ya think folks? Just tossin the idea and questons around since I was thinkin of it.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:29:45 PM by elvislee »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 10:23:18 PM »

I not inclined to put one on my bike

HOWEVER, if I was, I'd cut the crossover line and put it there, but I know nothing of which I speak  :nixweiss:

This advise is worth what you paid for it  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

elvislee

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 11:07:17 PM »

I not inclined to put one on my bike

HOWEVER, if I was, I'd cut the crossover line and put it there, but I know nothing of which I speak  :nixweiss:

This advise is worth what you paid for it  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Well....Damn sure glad I didn't pay chit for it  ;D  :2vrolijk_21:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 12:44:04 AM »

Blaine.....

Geez what the heck are you doing over there......one day at a time...slowly tearing your bike apart....LOL.....remember it will be hurricane season soon.....you need that thing to FLY!!!!!!! 

:bananarock:

there is just something wrong with:

petcock poop!

You certainly couldn't say that in a kindergarden class.....

Just thinkin about that because my granddaughter who just registered for kindergarten is working through some of the more unusal terms right now.....and of course when they are stated you have to look at her with a straight face and show no SHOCK....or you ALL know what will happen....

Regards,

Tim

elvislee

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »

Blaine.....

Geez what the heck are you doing over there......one day at a time...slowly tearing your bike apart....LOL.....remember it will be hurricane season soon.....you need that thing to FLY!!!!!!! 

:bananarock:

there is just something wrong with:

petcock poop!

You certainly couldn't say that in a kindergarden class.....

Just thinkin about that because my granddaughter who just registered for kindergarten is working through some of the more unusal terms right now.....and of course when they are stated you have to look at her with a straight face and show no SHOCK....or you ALL know what will happen....

Regards,

Tim

Hey man...As many times as I've had that damn tank off; I believe I could remove it and put it back on blind folded...My first thought of petcock poop would not have been allowed or at least deleted by the mods pretty quickly I imagine.  ;D

Yea...gotta watch the little un's closely and watch what ya say around them even more. Everyday they go to class ya wonder if the teacher is gonna send a not home asking you were they learned their explicit adult type vocabulary from.  ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »

It's a waste Blaine and a source for issues that you don't need. Carb bikes are way less sensitive than FI bikes regarding fuel filtration. No injector nozzles to deal with. I usually even remove the screen from the petcock. Worst case is ya gotta clean a jet, which on the S&S is way easier than changing a filter. And I haven't had a jet clog in YEARS!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

elvislee

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »

It's a waste Blaine and a source for issues that you don't need. Carb bikes are way less sensitive than FI bikes regarding fuel filtration. No injector nozzles to deal with. I usually even remove the screen from the petcock. Worst case is ya gotta clean a jet, which on the S&S is way easier than changing a filter. And I haven't had a jet clog in YEARS!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Yea Howie...The thought crossed my mind for about a second or so. I mean, I haven't had any issues as far as fuel filtration; I was just lookin and thinkin when I had the tank off as we do sometimes and wondered about it. Never any serious thought as to putting one on; but thought I'd check with you guy's and see. I thought I had NOT seen any threads about this issue and suspected that inline filters were a bit about nuttin. Anyway; gonna put the 45 slow jet in prolly Tuesday and have it ready to go when my XLH needle gets in, then put it in, and then get it er dialed in and hopefully be done with her. Thanks for your help and input man  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 05:47:01 PM »

Yea Howie...The thought crossed my mind for about a second or so. I mean, I haven't had any issues as far as fuel filtration; I was just lookin and thinkin when I had the tank off as we do sometimes and wondered about it. Never any serious thought as to putting one on; but thought I'd check with you guy's and see. I thought I had NOT seen any threads about this issue and suspected that inline filters were a bit about nuttin. Anyway; gonna put the 45 slow jet in prolly Tuesday and have it ready to go when my XLH needle gets in, then put it in, and then get it er dialed in and hopefully be done with her. Thanks for your help and input man  :2vrolijk_21:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

you see what he said  ?????

he's a REALLY FUNNY GUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

elvislee

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 06:29:21 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

you see what he said  ?????

he's a REALLY FUNNY GUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha!..HA! You be a funny man huh  ;D OK!.....LET ME REPHRASE!...git er dialed in and be done with her.....TILLLLLLLLLL NEXT TIME!  ;D

Ya know what they say...In every crowed there is a WISE A$$...In this crowed; EVERYONE is a WISE A$$!  ;D ;D ;D

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »

that's right, that's right    :coolblue:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »

I ask has anyone had to or decided to change their fuel filter on their Fxr? Also; has anyone put an additional in-line filter on their Fxr? Don't know the in-line would be needed; but just curious?

It's a waste Blaine and a source for issues that you don't need.

I agree with Howie.  Recently I saw a production FXR (nice one, too) at the local dealer.  The owner had installed a see-through fuel filter (he had pretty much re-configured the fuel line to accommodate it) and while it looked like a good idea, the more I thought about it the more I saw Howie's point.

Me, I've had one incident of needing to remove the petcock to clean out the fuel tank goop and at that rate, a second filter just isn't necessary.  Plus, the additional filter will only catch what makes it past the in-tank filter, anyway.  In my case, the tank filter would still have clogged and most likely the second filter would look OK.  So you're still likely to need to clean the in-tank filter occasionally.  A second fuel filter would seem to me to be just another thing to maintain and replace and possibly induce leaks.  Bottom line to me:  just remove the petcock every so often and clean the in-tank filter and you'll be fine.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 07:04:21 PM »

I agree with Howie.  Recently I saw a production FXR (nice one, too) at the local dealer.  The owner had installed a see-through fuel filter (he had pretty much re-configured the fuel line to accommodate it) and while it looked like a good idea, the more I thought about it the more I saw Howie's point.

Me, I've had one incident of needing to remove the petcock to clean out the fuel tank goop and at that rate, a second filter just isn't necessary.  Plus, the additional filter will only catch what makes it past the in-tank filter, anyway.  In my case, the tank filter would still have clogged and most likely the second filter would look OK.  So you're still likely to need to clean the in-tank filter occasionally.  A second fuel filter would seem to me to be just another thing to maintain and replace and possibly induce leaks.  Bottom line to me:  just remove the petcock every so often and clean the in-tank filter and you'll be fine.

my bike is 9 years old, the petcock has never been off the tank, maybe I've just been lucky .... now chit will happen, wish I hadn't posted this   :oops:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

RedFXR2

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »

my bike is 9 years old, the petcock has never been off the tank, maybe I've just been lucky .... now chit will happen, wish I hadn't posted this   :oops:

Mine was off for the first time last summer.  What was that....9 years?  About the same as you.

Since you're doing so much else to your bike, now would be a good time to mark that threat off the list.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 07:37:03 PM »

I hadn't thought about that ..... but you make a good point .... I'll put it on the list of stuff to check / clean while I'm working her over

now that Blaine has taught us all how to do it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  Thanks Blaine !!   :2vrolijk_21:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 24 queries.