Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 05 SEEG Question  (Read 5104 times)

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2
05 SEEG Question
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »

Good morning guys. As you can see I a am Newbie I have really enjoyed reading everything on here, you are a wealth of information. I have CVO fever after purchasing my FLSTFSE2. I have decided my every day bike will be a FLHTCSE2. Question; the bike I am looking at has just 7,200 miles on her. Is there any thing I need to have checked on it? Any recalls or anything else to look out for.

Thanks,

Randy
Don't worry about life...you'll never get out of it alive!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: 05 SEEG Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:41:54 AM »

Good morning guys. As you can see I a am Newbie I have really enjoyed reading everything on here, you are a wealth of information. I have CVO fever after purchasing my FLSTFSE2. I have decided my every day bike will be a FLHTCSE2. Question; the bike I am looking at has just 7,200 miles on her. Is there any thing I need to have checked on it? Any recalls or anything else to look out for.

Thanks,

Randy
I think that the bike you have will give you many miles of smiles.  Just have checked, or check yourself if you are capable, the cam tensioners.  Don't add HD heated grips.  Otherwise, ride your bike and have a whole lotta fun.

:coolblue: :cherry:

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »

Will have to have it checked. One day would love to work on my own, but for now, it is best left to those that know what they are doing.

What is the problem withe the heated grips? My hands and feet are the only things that get cold.

Randy

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:34 AM »

Will have to have it checked. One day would love to work on my own, but for now, it is best left to those that know what they are doing.

What is the problem withe the heated grips? My hands and feet are the only things that get cold.

Randy
Supposedly (It happened to me and many others from here) the cam tensioners will desindegrate in and around the 30,000 mile mark. 
THe heated grips (I have really lost count, but I think I am on about set six and...)
Where better socks and gloves...
But no matter what, you have a heck of a great bike.  In my opinion anyway.

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »

Gonna have to get bigger boots, can just wear so many socks ;D. I will enjoy it for sure. IMHO it is by far the best looking of the CVO's, and 2nd place (corrected) goes to the FLTRSEI2 in blue.

R
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:04:25 AM by SE-Randy »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »

Good morning Randy;

IMHO one of the best looking and performing touring bikes Harley has made. Tensioners are a known problem but this bike probably doesn't have enough miles on it for problems yet. Check the chrome. Numerous wheels suffered bubbling and peeling and some experienced chrome problems w/ foot boards, etc. Also, some suffered some problems w/ the paint. There were reports of, I experienced, ghost finger / hand prints (only visible in the light) and cracking in the paints. Check it out in the sun.

Not sure the state of customization on this ride but some very good improvements were made by members here and others relative to cams and performance / comfort features. I'd also check the belt and sprocket for wear. My sprocket is wearing (35,000 + miles) more than I think it should. Lastly, I'd pull the dipstick for a look see and ask the owner what he's using in the 3 holes. We hotly debate the virtues of dino vs. syn. but we're pretty much united that syn 3 is among the worst choices.

Best of luck w/ it.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »

BTW - the bike came w/ a detachable passenger backrest, CVO cover and "gold" key.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:42 AM »

SEEGs (and other 103-powered models) are probably overall one of the most reliable touring machines to come out of the CVO group.  At 7200 miles, you're a ways from having to be real concerned about the cam chain tensioners, but those are literally about the only weak link in the motor.

As far as the heated grips . . . SEEGs don't come with those stock and there are other aftermarket options, such as Heat Demons, that you can look at instead of the H-D heated grips that so many here have had trouble with, if you want heat with out using heated gloves or other gear.

Basically, there's really not too much to be conerned about with these bikes.  They were, and still are (IMHO), a solid effort from the MoCo. :2vrolijk_21:

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 10:29:50 AM »

Thanks for all the info. The owner has sent about 20 pics of the bike close-ups of everything. No flaws visable in pictures. To far away to do a look see. He has the book, cover, key back rest and throwing in two helmets and a battery tender. He is getting out of bikes all together. Should I go on have have the tensioners replaced now so as not to worry? I am in this one for the long haul.

Thanks again,

Randy
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:39:54 AM by SE-Randy »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »

I'd ride it for awhile if it was mine.  You shouldn't need to start getting concerned about tensioner wear until about 20-25,000 miles.  During that time you can decide if you want to convert to gear drive and eliminate the tensioners altogether, or stick with the stock setup.

Good luck with the purchase.  Sounds like a nice, complete bike!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »

Can't add anything that the others haven't already stated. SEEG's are one of the best CVO's around, and you'll enjoy it. Once (if) you decide to get it we can surely help you make it "your" CVO... just get your wallet ready. ;D You can look at my signature below to see what I have added to mine.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 11:08:16 AM »

Looks like I'll need a new wallet :). I am sending a deposit today. The idea is to fly down for bike week, pick it up and drive over from Tampa (where the bike lives now). Not sure I will be able to wait that long though.... I am already thinking about a road trip :o

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »

Got 55K on the '05 and like everyone else has already stated, they are a great, reliable bike.  Chrome & cam tensioners are the only 2 things that I can think of off of the top of my head.  Change the fluids and enjoy!!!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »

The more y'all talk the better that road trip sounds.  :o. Getting less likely I will wait to March 2nd.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »

The more y'all talk the better that road trip sounds.  :o. Getting less likely I will wait to March 2nd.

You bought the bike?  Now??  And you're waiting two months to bring it home?!?  In a part of the country you could ride it now?!?!  Are you nuts!????!

I'm sorry.  Let me run that through the Twolane to English conversion utility.

Congrats on the new bike.  It's one of the best there is.  You're going to love every minute of it.  I'm sure it'll be difficult to wait two months to bring her.....    Wait... I just can't do it.  TWO MONTHS!??   ARE YOU NUTS!?????!  Get that baby home and ride!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.