Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: King or Chopped? Your thoughts and pictures  (Read 1842 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
King or Chopped? Your thoughts and pictures
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:45:21 AM »

I'm trying to decide King or Chopped. 04 Pumpkin I think I like the chopped look better, but the damn thing is for touring long distance only and then  you need as much luggage  space as possible, so the king makes more sense, but, I like the look of the chopped,,,,,,,,, get both!  Yeah, if only the money tree would grow some more hamiltons........ Your thoughts and pictures are greatly appreciated.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: King or Chopped? Your thoughts and pictures
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 06:53:40 AM »

You already identified the points about which one. If you had lots of money - you really need both. My husband has the king, I the chopped. Chopped looks best, King holds the most. My husband ordered his and since the plan was that a tour pak would be for long trips..... he ordered the king. My bike came with the chopped. I did not even care for a tour pak so it was only bonus. Of course - the first time I put something in it - I will never take it off.  I love how handy it is.  So it is up to you to decide;
[list bull-blueball]
  • I want the tour pak for long trips and need all the room I can get?

[list bull-redball]
  • I want the tour pak for small trips, around town, just cause it is so handy and can forfeit a little storing capacity.

[list bull-greenball]
  • I need a tour pak for all applications.

You see .... you really need both - if you don't want to break the bank on both - you best buy the bigger one. It is not at all unsightly and you will have the storage capacity when you need it.

JMHO of course.  

[smiley=cherry.gif]

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »

CVOwner... I think a big wrinkle into the whole decision is if you travel 1 up or 2 up. If it is 1 up then you could go with the chopped pak and get a passenger seat bag for those week long trips. You could also strap on those lid sak haulers on the saddlebags if you need even more packing space. If you are 2 up on long trips then I suggest you get the king pak as it will be more support and comfort for your passenger as well as more space. My .02

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 12:04:43 PM »

CVO, my red bike has both.  The chopped pack does seem to be most people's choice for looking better.  I actually think the bike looks best with neither on and with the Corbin backrest for the passenger back there.  But that's just me.

The chopped back won't hold helmet unless it's a half helmet.  And even some of those won't fit if you've got a lid organizer in with much stuff in it.  Chopped pak doesn't give you a place for side lights like the King Pak does.  Passenger likes the King Pak better, but both are "ok," neither seem to present a problem catch wind or turbulence, the King pak holds a lot more stuff.

The King Pak goes on for road trips.  It'll hold a lot more stuff than the saddlebag.  Whether it's a traveling road trip gone for a few days or a local road trip that includes stops at stores where you might need a place to haul home something cute, the big pak is a much more function storage device.  For days when I'm just out playing and want to haul the cameras or a picnic or something like that the chopped pack is great; and it does look better.

If I had a passenger backrest that worked by itself and had to pick just one one tour pak it'd be the King.  Just way more usable and functional.  And that's what the tour pak is for.  On top of that a spoiler light mounted on it is higher and seen better and it gives you the option of the side lights for better visibility as well.  I'm glad I've got them both, though neither is on the bike a majority of the time, but the King pak is the far more utilitarian tool.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 08:22:03 PM »

I bought a tall backrest upright and a large backrest pad for it. Both Road King things...and recently added the backrest cover plate that matches the SEEG driver backrest plate.

Unless Wendy and I hit the road...I leave just it just that way...it looks very nice.

Of course when we hit the road the chopped pack goes on. Wish I had a King Pack though...she likes to buy lots of tshirts and stuff when we go somewhere...

Get the King. If you want your bike to look cool, then take it off and use only the backrests it came with or upgrade like I did...

Phattey...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 08:29:48 PM »

Get the King. If you want your bike to look cool, then take it off and use only the backrests it came with or upgrade like I did...

Phattey...

Ron makes a good point.  One of the benefits of the detachable hardware is that it is detachable.  Couple of times at weekend get togethers I've had the King tour pak on for the trip and just took it off and left it in the hotel room during the weekend.  

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 08:43:37 PM »

Wish I had a King Pack though...she likes to buy lots of tshirts and stuff when we go somewhere...

Phattey...

This seems to be the consensus, I know I'm going to buy both though!Well, I always say, You cant take it with you.  "Enjoy life,  you'll have plenty of time to be dead!"  [smiley=cool3.gif]
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 05:48:14 AM »

CVO, my red bike has both.

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 07:29:39 PM »

Last bike was an Ultra and it comes with the King. I took it on many long trips and all was fine. Only thing was I would pack it full and put the coats on the luggage rack and the thing would be really top heavy. It sucked to ride slow.
With this bike "04seeg" I picked the chopped tour pak, It stays on all the time. I have been on a couple of weekend trips and one long one from Cal. to Sturgis. The chopped one worked fine. Took our half helmets off as we left Nevada and kept them in the tour pak until we got back to Nevada. You have to be creative with your packing and what you bring along with either tour pack.
If you don't have a tour pak at all you can still make the long trips.
If you pull a trailor, you will fill that as well.

If I was only going to have the tour pak mounted for long trips. I'd get the king and mount the biggest luggage rack I could find.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 07:58:10 PM »

Last bike was an Ultra and it comes with the King. I took it on many long trips and all was fine. Only thing was I would pack it full and put the coats on the luggage rack and the thing would be really top heavy. It sucked to ride slow.

Thats what I was worried about, how does it affect the ride with a loaded down King tour pack? Also, Is the chopped tour pack pad comfortable enough for the passenger on long trips? I'm not worried about around town, she gets the stock backrest and says it's comfortable. [smiley=cool2.gif]
2004 SEEG Orange/Black

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 02:16:34 PM »

With my Ultra king tour pak loaded and a couple of coats on the luggage rack, and a passenger it was a little top heavy only when riding around town. Unnoticeable on the highway. That bike also sat higher than this one and the rider sat higher as well. SEEG would not be as bad.
The corbin chopped tour pak back rest is fine for the girlfriend. Not as nice as the Ultra, but much better than a stock back rest with out tour pak.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 04:24:07 AM »

Hey King, sounds like you are answering a question I had ---- so you say on the chopped tour pak the corbin back rest is feeling good to the rider. I don't know which way to go about a pad for my relocated tour pak and I have to go to corbin to match seat for a pad...... I just did not know what pad to go with?

Thanks for the input all.

[smiley=cherry.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif] [smiley=cherry.gif]

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 10:22:38 AM »

My girlfriend rides with me alot. She is a Winer,
Wined about the seat.  Bought a new one.
Wined about the shocks, Bought new ones.
Wined about the stereo, Bought new speakers.
Not a single complaint about the Corbin back rest on the chopped tour pak. The last bike was an Ultra.
OH, she wined about the heat on her right leg from the exhaust.  I just bought V&H pro pipe. I think I went the wrong way on that one.  [smiley=oops.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 12:33:26 PM »

My girlfriend rides with me alot. She is a Winer,
Wined about the seat.

phattey

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's the journey...

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 Sold
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »

LOL....Don you capture what we all want to say... [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Which whinning is worse...??

1. You left me at home.......or

2. I hate your bike and you drive too fast, and you keep looking at other girls, and this seat is uncomfortable, and, and, and....

Just messing with you King...

Wendy'll whine a little, but it's usually at 5500 feet on a cold, wet, unfamilar mountain road, which dosne't have real gaurd rails....wait a sec...that's Cherrokee NC...

King - I like how you "inadvertainly" got the ProPipe... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Phattey

« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:36:02 AM by phattey »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.