Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Post Surgery Update  (Read 5163 times)

emcclary

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO3: 2010 FLSTSE
Post Surgery Update
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:47:38 PM »

Hey all

I know some of you may not have seen my accident thread under new members but I wanted to move the progress reports to a better area for the group.  I went in for the Tracheotomy on Monday night with surgery Tuesday around noon.  They took me into surgery early and  I had to stall them until my wife could get there because she would have been severely pissed if they took me into surgery without her seeing me first.  Surgery went well but they could only give me a local to do the trach because they didn't want to risk further damage to my vocal cords.  This meant I was awake while they were cutting my throat to put the tube in  :vrolijk27: nothing like listening to your doctors talk bout how hard a time they are having cutting through the scarring from my original trach after the accident.  They did find some issues one of which is scar tissue that my be holding my vocal cords closed (Hope this is the problem) and possibly some cartilage damage as well (hope not).  They are doing laser surgery in a week or two to cut the scar tissue out and injecting steroids into the cartilage to see if inflammation is an issue.  If the scar tissue can be kept at bay and my vocal cords end up working the great I am done  :2vrolijk_21: If not I will have to have further surgery by laser to cut one of my vocal cords and make an opening for me to breathe through so I can lose the trach.  This will probably cause my voice to get hoarse but hell that I can deal with.  The breathing through a tube sucks big time but at least I can breathe without gasping like before surgery.

I will be seeing the bike inspector this coming wee k to see if they can figure out what happened with the bike and who is at fault. Will keep you in the loop as usual on everything.  Those who can ride this time of year enjoy and know that I would be with you if I could.  Those who cant hope I can join you in the spring or summer.  My family of course doesn't want me to ride anymore (wouldn't have the vocal cord issues if I didn't have the accident  :soapbox: etc) But my wife knows I will ride if given the green light.  Riding 20 yrs without an accident and I dint believe this one was my fault in the slightest so I am not giving it up for a freak accident. Ride On  :angel:

Ed

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Post Surgery Update
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »

Ed,
I wish you well and hope that the surgery is successful the first time.
Sorry to hear about the accident, but like most of us here, that will seldom stop us.
God Speed and good luck
Jeff
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:38:11 PM »

hope all goes well and fast ,keep us up to date   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:hang in there

jon
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »

Ed,

May GOD's skillful hands be a part of your procedure and the recovery be a short one.  A prayer is being sent for you and your family.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »

Ed,
Happy to here you are mending! Our Prayers are still going out for you and hope the surgery is successful on the first go.
Keep us posted.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:55:13 PM »

Good, luck, we'll keep you in our prayers!

navdav51

• Senior CVO Member
  • US Navy Retired, Old Antarctic Explorer, 75-78

• CVO1: 2009 Silver SERG
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »

Ed will for sure say an extra prayer tonight for you and your family, hope all turns out well for you. Great attitude as far as riding future goes, freak accidents happen to the best of us, hope the family supports you in all your decisions. Get better soon and we will see ya on the road to happy destiny!
...VETERAN....Whether active duty,retired, National Guard or reserve,is someone who wrote a check made payable to The United States of America,for an amount up to and including my life....Author unknown

hdhog1

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: Autumn Haze CUSE
    • CVO2: Canyon Copper SEFB2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 10:23:01 AM »

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear your surgery was not the end all, we had all hoped for.  The laser surgery sounds promising though.  How is the rest of the bod feeling?  Your spirits sound high.  That is very important.
  We know and support your wish to get back in the saddle.  Don't rush anything though bro.  Get the medical issues all squared away first.  We do know that is your intention.  We are all here Ed, wishing you the very best.  Update us when you can.

Randy   

emcclary

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »

Thanks All for the support it means a lot.  I am trying to keep my head up on this but it is a major change of lifestyle having to breathe thru a tube. I am hoping for the best and am scheduling surgery as soon as possible to keep this moving. I hope I will be the suprise case and the first surgery will prove scarring is the main problem.  I just hope they can keep it at bay because there is a risk of it reforming meaning a second or even third surgery to clear it all up. Luckily I have a great wife and group of friends to help take my mind of things. This is what I am waiting to do in the next few days  :drink: Nice glass of Guinness

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »

Good luck with your recovery, take your time getting back on a scoot. Take care...........................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 05:46:26 PM »

Ed, everyone on the site is disturbed by your set of circumstances, particularly given the unknown of how this happened.  I am sure you are in good medical hands so try to be patient (and it seems you are) and let them do their good work. 

Please keep us advised on your progress.  Hopefully you can feel the prayers.
Best,
Warren   

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »

Ed, thanks for the update...Best of luck with your recovery.. :drink:

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:35 AM »

Mi amigo Ed...hopefully you will be ok soon an have more miles to ride  :drink: My prayers are with you..................

emcclary

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »

Thanks Again all I am keeping my fingers crossed we can fix this sooner rather than later and will be keeping you up to date especially with the bike inspection. I will be very curious to see what they find regarding my clutch failure the electronic throttle is a whole nother issue that I think will be much harder to determine.  Since my accident I have found two other riders who had unexpected acceleration problems with their FBW. One was riding back from Sturgis on the highway when his bike accelerated by itself and another where a guy had just started his bike and put it in gear he went to accelerate and ended up driving right into a curb without warning the bike took off on him.  Fortunately he wasn't hurt and the bike wasn't damaged because it landed in dirt.  I really think this is going to be a major headache for Harley at some point.  They have already acknowledged that if you hit the kill switch with the bike under throttle it will reset your idle to the engine speed at shutdown until you physically reset it which should not happen in my opinion.  The bike computer should ignore anything except user or dealer input data. :soapbox:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:46 AM »

Ed, how many miles were on the bike when this happened? 
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.