Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Heartland Blasted by Ice  (Read 5453 times)

hogasm

Re: Heartland Blasted by Ice
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »

Ken,
You shouldn't need more than a 16KW generator looking at the pictures of the house. I have a 15KW and 4000sf.
This puts out 70 amps at 240v. on propane. These units are air cooled and a good bit less than the 20KW wich are water cooled. Mine is a Generac Gardian.
Theu are not hard to install. The gas is the hard part. I used to do installs ( electricaly ) up until year and a half ago.
Let me know if I can Help.
Stay warm.
Mike
 :drink:

Ken my mom......Mike's sister, has the same Generac Gardian installed with a transfer switch for their farm house. After Hurricane Isabelle they had it installed :2vrolijk_21: They lost power for 21  days after that storm.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »

Appreciate the concern guys. I'm a country boy, and you know what they say about country boys. A country boy can survive.

It does help to not be broke. I had to go 40 miles south to get gas for the generator today. Even after finding gas I couldn't find a gas can for an additional 40 miles. I bought all 8 they had. I've got 60 gallons now, and that would run me 4-5 days. In Union City Tn, traffic was backed up at ever gas station. Most of the cars were from Kentucky.

On the way back I stopped by an electrical contractor I do business with. Their phone was ringing off the wall about generators. The Generac air cooled 20KW model with a Briggs and Straton 35 HP engine can be bought for $4,000 or so. The one I bought is more in the $9,500 line. It's a 25 KW propane fired generator with a 53 HP Ford water cooled engine. . It will output 100 amps or so. That's enough to do what I need to do. It's not the cheapest route but if the power goes out, I want this thing to run. The next best part is, they have a truck load of generators coming in from Minnesota, and will be here tomorrow. Mine was able to get shoved on the truck as we spoke. The install will take a little time, but, by monday or Tuesday, I should be hooked up. It will have an automatic switch to disconnect off public power before energizing.

It may be overkill to install this generator, but, it's worth it to me to be pretty much self sufficient here. Now, to just stock up on ammo, and I'm good to go.  ;D
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »

Have you seen any FedEx trucks on the road? Are they able to make deliveries yet?

I've seen Fed Ex trucks around AJ, but most businesses are closed and there's no one there to take the delivery. We got a UPS delivery yesterday. I'm still hearing we could be 4-6 weeks w/o power.

Don, that is an interesting article and pretty much sums it up. The thing that gets me is they want to act like the governor will fly in and make all our problems go away. I'm smart enough to know better. There are plenty of people who aren't. If anyone is waiting on FEMA to rescue them, they're just waiting to die. Federal assistance will help the power companies recover somne of their costs, and I'm not against that. The National Guard will help to clear roads and keep the peace, but they're not going to make sure HogBreath has heat in his house. And I welcome their assistance, I'm just saying people have got to take care of themselves. If they don't they die.  :nixweiss:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2009, 05:17:42 PM »

Water cooled is good....100 amps is good...be able to run lots of inductive load...like blenders n such...

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »

Water cooled is good....100 amps is good...be able to run lots of inductive load...like blenders n such...

and beer fridges, and ice makers, and TV's.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

There you have it....inductive load from stuff like compressors (on the fridge) and large lecric motors or heaters starting can be a high ampacity spike, alot higher than you may think...The AC alone for our little house is dern near 60 amp at start up and then settles back to bout 20 running.

I would not fire up christmas lights at night and stuff though, no know??
Say hey to JD for us, schmoops is using alot of lectic right now, vacuuming up dog hair...

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »

Just caught up on all of this thread Ken. Sounds like KY is having a rough time. I'm pleased to hear that you have it covered though. Keep smiling, spring will get here eventually.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »

Sorry to hear of your ice troubles. We had an ice storm here in Maine a few years back and was without power for 2 weeks. The ice came on top of about a foot+ of snow, so I just dug out a hollow in the snow bank, put in my beverages, and covered it up with a slab of the ice. Worked well, kept it cold, but it didn't freeze. We are on a well also, so we brought chunks of ice in and melted it on the wood stove and used it to flush with. As for showers, we were lucky and was able to go to my mother-in-law's for a shower every other day, couldn't go any longer than that! We got use to reading and playing board games by lanterns instead of watching TV in the evenings. My son would ride his bike all over the ice covered snow, and not break through! Also, with all the trees that lost branches, or just came down completely, we gathered them for more fire wood.  When the power came back on it was a little sad, as we were having fun together as a family, but 2 weeks was enough. One of the things that I did notice was the way people came to help others out. If someone needed something or some sort of help, everyone in the village was more than willing to lend a hand. I hope that your homelife gets back to normal soon. This winter has been a rough one!
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »

...The guys that work for me will be needing cash to get by. Even if I could make payroll, the banks aren't open. Stores that are open accept cash only...

I've seen Fed Ex trucks around AJ, but most businesses are closed and there's no one there to take the delivery. We got a UPS delivery yesterday. I'm still hearing we could be 4-6 weeks w/o power...

Appreciate the concern guys. I'm a country boy, and you know what they say about country boys...

I know that sometimes they say country boys aren't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree... Do you need cash? (via FedEx) ???

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2009, 08:17:01 PM »

I know that sometimes they say country boys aren't the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree... Do you need cash? (via FedEx) ???

Well the banks opened up partial service today AJ. I got enough cash to pay my guys for a couple of weeks if need be...BUT.......

Damn...It's hard to turn cash down.....

If you send me the cash, I'll send you a check when the banks open. I'll just need your SSN so I can send you a 1099 next year.

Seriously, I appreciate it AJ, but I got it covered.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »

Ken,
Glad to hear you were able to score on the generator. sonds like you have things covered. Let me know if help is needed.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2009, 10:13:31 PM »

Hogbreath it appears you're only 90 miles from me. We got hit, but not near as bad as you. We'll have to get together and ride, meet up and have a beer or something when the weather gets better.  Glad you're persevering through the storm.  Here's a mapquest map from my town to yours.  Good Luck!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1z=62918&2c=Clinton&2s=KY
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 08:17:58 AM »

Hogbreath it appears you're only 90 miles from me. We got hit, but not near as bad as you. We'll have to get together and ride, meet up and have a beer or something when the weather gets better.  Glad you're persevering through the storm.  Here's a mapquest map from my town to yours.  Good Luck!

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1z=62918&2c=Clinton&2s=KY

Hey JbBrown73. We're not far at all. Some of us will get together and do the "River Run" occassionally into Southern Illinois. We go to Paducah, Metropolis, Brookport and to Golconda. From there sometimes we'll ride on up to Old Shawneetown for a cold beverage. I'll PM you with my cell number etc.

I'm reading you guys had more snow than we did, but we got the ice. Ice sucks, unless Bourbon is poured over it.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »

Big Azz Generator

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »

Big Azz Lull TeleHandler
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.