Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2009 cvo 110 overheating problems  (Read 26216 times)

Geothermal

2009 cvo 110 overheating problems
« on: February 01, 2009, 09:57:15 PM »

Just bought a new 2009 fat bob from day one there was alot of noise in the top end at 2800-3200 rpms plus the bike seemed to be running hot.
Took it into the dealer, explained what was going on. The mechanic took it for a ride, came back and told me that the noise was normal in the 110 motors and that they were going to run hotter. I have been riding bikes for 30 years and declare bull. He told me to let it get broken in. Well it now has  625 milesw on it and got on it a few times well guess what it got so hot i couldnt even sit on the bike. Got in some slow traffic and the motor started to idle down to about 6000 like it dropped a cylender. It also starts to stall when this happens. Funny thing is I live in Colorado, it's January and 45 degrees. I also own a 2007 dyna superglide custom, was checking the temp on it all summer the highest it ever got was 294 on a 100 degree day.
Also checked alot of other harley all summer long 294 was the hottest i could find. Decided to take the cvo out last night 50 degrees , rode it for 3 miles it was at 292 degrees and was cutting out at stop lights. Have been reading all the overheating, top end noise problems with the 07/08 holly cow. What this bike going to do at 100 degrees, also was reading about the oils leaks, went out and checked my bike, well guess what, it's starting to seap oil. I thought Harley had fixed these problems. Well the bike is headed back to the dealer, along with my boot. You pay top dollar for a cvo harley and it makes more noise on the top end than a bad running diesel and runs so hot you could ride it naked at 40 degrees.

Anyone else having problems with the 2009 110 cvo

Mike         

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 2009 cvo 110 overheating problems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:16:29 PM »

Welcome aboard Geo! Interesting Screen name! You in the business?

Re your motor, all's I can say is regardless of any mods you want to do or not, GET THAT THING TUNED AND GET YOUR AFR DOWN!!!! Even stock motors need it. Your motor's setup to meet EPA, but not real world, keep your motor together form!!! You need to look at all the info here on how to overcome that! But it's easily done! By spending more money of course!!! Enjoy this Great Site man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:38:51 PM »

I agree with hoist and get that mtr tuned   and welcome to the site
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:49:36 AM »

it almost sounds like its got a air leak..... :-\

sfarson

• On a Ride
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSE3

• CVO1: 2007 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:46:31 AM »

Mike, Clearly there is something wrong.  I've had a 110" CVO Road King up in Park County for over two years, riding down to Denver all the time on the warmest (and coldest) of days.  I run it hard.  Zero over heating problems, zero top end sounds, no leaks, etc.  Had the "enhancement" campaign performed just to have it done.  And, I've had no tuning or FI adjustments made.  Bone stock except for some slip-ons.  But there is from the sound of things issues with your bike that need sorted.  Take it to another dealer if you have to.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:34:56 AM »

Just bought a new 2009 fat bob from day one there was alot of noise in the top end at 2800-3200 rpms plus the bike seemed to be running hot.
Took it into the dealer, explained what was going on. The mechanic took it for a ride, came back and told me that the noise was normal in the 110 motors and that they were going to run hotter. I have been riding bikes for 30 years and declare bull. He told me to let it get broken in. Well it now has  625 milesw on it and got on it a few times well guess what it got so hot i couldnt even sit on the bike. Got in some slow traffic and the motor started to idle down to about 6000 like it dropped a cylender. It also starts to stall when this happens. Funny thing is I live in Colorado, it's January and 45 degrees. I also own a 2007 dyna superglide custom, was checking the temp on it all summer the highest it ever got was 294 on a 100 degree day.
Also checked alot of other harley all summer long 294 was the hottest i could find. Decided to take the cvo out last night 50 degrees , rode it for 3 miles it was at 292 degrees and was cutting out at stop lights. Have been reading all the overheating, top end noise problems with the 07/08 holly cow. What this bike going to do at 100 degrees, also was reading about the oils leaks, went out and checked my bike, well guess what, it's starting to seap oil. I thought Harley had fixed these problems. Well the bike is headed back to the dealer, along with my boot. You pay top dollar for a cvo harley and it makes more noise on the top end than a bad running diesel and runs so hot you could ride it naked at 40 degrees.

Mike         

Good morning Mike,

:welcome_005: on the CVO website  :2vrolijk_21:

It would be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread New member introduction
with a pic of your bike  ;)

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:48 AM »

Mike         
Mike,
To my knowledge there has seldom been any overheating on the Softail or Dyna CVO's. That was usually limited to the Touring bikes, mostly the E-Glides. If your bike is running that hot, you have a mechanical problem there. You should probably try to get a second opinion from another dealer in your area.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 07:14:12 AM »

I have a 09 SERG that when new with no miles is was very hot and noisey. The noise is still there and the temps have come down with about 2000 miles on the clock. Just have baffle change for now but will be tunning it before summer and 90* days. I disabled the rear cylinder shut down as it would come on at every light I stopped at untill I had some miles on it. My oil temps remain at 220 to 240 in 70* days now.  Doc

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:09:19 AM »

Have had my 09 CVO Springer since end of August last year.

I was not able to get some good miles on it at the end of summer but now have 600 miles bone stock, with no leaks, over heating, or excess noise that I'm aware of.

Hope you can get the dealer to take this seriously. Please keep us updated, all us late 08's & 09'ners are hoping the 110 problems are all fixed. Sounds more like what happens when a bull gets fixed...

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

Shouldn't be having the overheating problem on your bike.  My '09 Springer runs considerably cooler than by 103 SEEG did.  The problem at idle is the auto shut down on the rear cyl as the ECM is picking up the high temp.  Most dealers I know turn off the shutdown on all models except dressers during the PDI as it always tends to be a pain in the ......  The noisy top end is not typical either in the '09's.  Sounds like you need to find a dealer that will address the noise issue while you take care of the miserable AF ratio set at the factory with a good tune and free flowing exhaust.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 10:02:55 AM »

Not sure where you live in Colorado, I'd try going to a different dealer, have them check it out.
Craig

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 02:58:20 PM »

I think TIMO is right ,you have a intake leak. I had 1 intake {tb} seal that was BAD from the factory. Easy to check , spray something on the intake and see if the motor revs up or dowm. I said  'something' because you will get 2 hundred dif things to spray. Dewey

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »

Welcome to the forum Mike, like you im new also, your post is a bit scarey, im waiting on a 2009 Springer Softail CVO and aware of potential problems, get your bike sorted right away, a question here people, is there an oil temperature guage/monitor on the bike or is it an accessory, also can you fit a rev counter to it
Thanks Charles   

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 04:15:55 PM »

Mike...

My CVO Fat Bob didn't have the top end chatter that I've heard others report.  But it did run hot.  Even on cool days the Temperature Management System would shut the rear cylinder down at idle way too often.  I was going to have the dealer shut it off but opted to tune it.  Put on 2" Rush Pipes and a Power Commander and a tune and it runs much cooler now.  The rear cylinder rarely shuts down now.   

Around 500 miles I found oil leaking from the breather.  With a few test runs I discovered it was blowing oil into the breather when I was running it hard (at highway speed.  I now run the oil a little low (1st Hash mark under full) and keep an eye on it.  Seeing a small amount of oil at the breather but is manageable.  Just a shame it would leak at all.

Overall the bike is outstanding. 

Geothermal

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Talked with the dealer again today. They told me that they wernt aware of any overheating problems with the 110 motor or any other problems. Thats when i declared bull, showed them the recalls and all the problems with th 07/08 models. Also showed them them a potential class action suit under investigation on the 07/08 models for the same problems i am having.

After showing them all of this and a long disscussion with the head service tech, he agreed my bike has a serious problem. They will be picking it up in the morning. I will let you know what happens. The head service tech was great, I told him to do whatever it takes to fix the problem, being race tunner pipes, dyno etc. His responce was sounds like we need to fix the problem first, instead of masking it. That was a little more comforting.

Thanks againg everyone...Mike           
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.