Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Author Topic: cee bailey windshield for 09 SERG  (Read 35849 times)

mmann

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: cee bailey windshield for 09 SERG
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »

I'm 5'9 and installed the CB 13". Road it to Myrtle Beach for bike week (2100 mi RT) and was extremely pleased with the wind protection. Visibility over the windshield was good as well. I also got caught in a few brief rain showers and was disappointed that the windshield offered virtually no protection. Anyone else here have "rain" experiences to share?

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2009, 01:08:03 AM »

Any windshield on a RG is further away than other HD styles.  I have a CB 14", am 5'10" and have been in sleet & rain....hunched down a couple of inches & all was good.  I am ordering a CV 15" since I ride 2-up and need a little less wind buffeting.Will be selling the 14" when it gets here.
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes
#1 = 1960 Cushman Super Eagle

Wildrat

« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »

So how does the c.bailey compare to the clockwerks or whatever it is?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »

So people, I've just re-read this entire thread, and again it's seems to be totally useless for helping me pick a new shield for my new '09 SERG.

Okay, that was a bit of an exaggeration, it has enlightened me in many ways, but I'm still no closer to a choice.

No one here has said a thing about the BSR and how any of these windshields affect the wind to the back of the bike.

After looking at all the posts and seeing 12", 13" 14" 15" and so on, everyone for the CB shields measure from the center bolt back to the lip.  Depending on the angle of the dangle, a 15" CB may not be any taller than a CV 13" if they measure from the top of the cluster up to the top edge of the shield, as an example.

Let me ask a very basic question.  On a stock RG with a factory stock height windshield, are there any wind noise of buffeting issues with front or rear rider?  Is it just that they look atrocious and would NOT work "look" good on a SERG?

I've said some place else on the forum about how I sit in a saddle, but even though I'm just 5'-13", I tend to have a head height of someone around 5'-16".  So any of the windshields designed for a 6'-2" and above person would probably be just the ticket for me.  But I hear people with CV shields say they like them and that they also hate the CB and others are just the opposite.  I don't have anyone to ride with that has other shields that I could try and looking at the price for a CB at nearly $300, that's a bit over budget for me.  But...... If I had the proof that I could use and would love a $300 windshield would I buy it, probably I would just like others have said they would if it worked as promised.

So with ALL the opinions listed on the 15.5 past pages on this thread, can anyone give me any info on the BSR that might help me make an informed decision?

I want to thank you all for putting up with all the SERG newbie questions I've plastered on this forum since last Saturday, but as you all probably know, I'm excited about my new ride just as you all were when you got yours.

Thanks again for the help on everything.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2009, 10:40:51 PM »

So people, I've just re-read this entire thread, and again it's seems to be totally useless for helping me pick a new shield for my new '09 SERG.

Okay, that was a bit of an exaggeration, it has enlightened me in many ways, but I'm still no closer to a choice.

No one here has said a thing about the BSR and how any of these windshields affect the wind to the back of the bike.

After looking at all the posts and seeing 12", 13" 14" 15" and so on, everyone for the CB shields measure from the center bolt back to the lip.  Depending on the angle of the dangle, a 15" CB may not be any taller than a CV 13" if they measure from the top of the cluster up to the top edge of the shield, as an example.

Let me ask a very basic question.  On a stock RG with a factory stock height windshield, are there any wind noise of buffeting issues with front or rear rider?  Is it just that they look atrocious and would NOT work "look" good on a SERG?

I've said some place else on the forum about how I sit in a saddle, but even though I'm just 5'-13", I tend to have a head height of someone around 5'-16".  So any of the windshields designed for a 6'-2" and above person would probably be just the ticket for me.  But I hear people with CV shields say they like them and that they also hate the CB and others are just the opposite.  I don't have anyone to ride with that has other shields that I could try and looking at the price for a CB at nearly $300, that's a bit over budget for me.  But...... If I had the proof that I could use and would love a $300 windshield would I buy it, probably I would just like others have said they would if it worked as promised.

So with ALL the opinions listed on the 15.5 past pages on this thread, can anyone give me any info on the BSR that might help me make an informed decision?

I want to thank you all for putting up with all the SERG newbie questions I've plastered on this forum since last Saturday, but as you all probably know, I'm excited about my new ride just as you all were when you got yours.

Thanks again for the help on everything.

:)  :)  :)

Dan, For what it's worth , I had a CV 'Stock Height" and my BSR was miserable, getting beat up by the wind. Went to a CV Med, 14.5 " I believe, CV has the measuring instructions on their site so you can at least get a baseline for the CV stuff    BSR was good after I went to the Med...If you want to eliminate the turbulence, the taller you go , the better off you are. I'm 6-3 34" inseam and I barley look over it with the Harley slouch, sitting straight up I'm over it.  I am going to the next size up to knock out more turbulence to the top of my helmet. I'll be looking thru the shield and I will go clear. Getting ready to head for the Springfield Mile here in about 6 weeks and want to run about 700 miles. AS you already know the shield on the RG sits much farther away from you and the pocket is different, Have to run a taller shield to get the same or similar air management as the batwing fairings. Are you really confused yet...? Just buy a few different ones...hell you should be able to get it sorted out for under a grand...Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #230 on: July 22, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »

Quit wasting your money and time. WindVest is the answer. I tried them all. Some are ugly but work and some are the opposite scenario. I got tired of the turbulence of the "snow mobile shields" like KW an CB and I can't stomach "big ass Ugly Vetter style shields. To me this is the best looking and best performing. You get air but it does't bite. :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2009, 06:54:55 AM »

Quit wasting your money and time. WindVest is the answer. I tried them all. Some are ugly but work and some are the opposite scenario. I got tired of the turbulence of the "snow mobile shields" like KW an CB and I can't stomach "big ass Ugly Vetter style shields. To me this is the best looking and best performing. You get air but it does't bite. :drink:
I have tried all the shields except the windvest , have looked at one on a bike, pretty flimsy, the guy who had it said it shook at highwat speed, heard the same from some others.
if I had to do it over again, I would have gone straight to ClearView GT stock w/ recurve.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »

I have tried all the shields except the windvest , have looked at one on a bike, pretty flimsy, the guy who had it said it shook at highway speed, heard the same from some others.
if I had to do it over again, I would have gone straight to ClearView GT stock w/ recurve.

Yep...Let me add the new Kurakyn Air Master to that list, had one on for my last trip to Il. yanked it off sent it back, too flimsy and had lots of turbulence around top of helmet and ears...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »

I have tried them all and the only one that is not sitting on the shelf is the Windvest 12" I'll sell the others cheap!

Bandit4142

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE - Scorcher
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 - Titanium
    • CVO3: 2009 FLSTFSE3
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2009, 11:18:23 PM »

There are so many different factors with a windshield, there will never be one that is perfect for everyone.....   I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam (so long legs, short body), plus, I slouch when I ride.   I've had the stock HD, the Clearview -1 w/recurve, the Clearview GT Short, the Klockworks 12" Tint, and finally a Cee Bailey's 16" Dark Grey Euro TRSSC.    I haven't had a bad experience in dealing with any of the companies from John at CV, Brian Klock at Klock works, or Joe at CB's, everyone has been fantastic and tried to answer all my questions, I'm just hard to satisfy.   

The winner for me is the last one being the TRSSC, because, while the 16" was too tall, Joe had me measure my exact height while it was on my bike, and mark exactly how I wanted it cut, send it back to him and he built me exactly what I wanted for no additional charge past my original purchase price.   What I have now, is a cross between the dome and the Euro measuring 14 5/8" to the center bolt.   I love it.

While the CB's is perfect for me, I don't ride with a passenger, my wife has her own bike, so I have no input for a BSR.    My point with this whole story is that, buy the windshield that you like the looks of and work with it from there.   If you think its ugly or flimsy, or you're getting too much wind, find something else....  Like me, I'm sure there are plenty of guys selling used ones as well.  Buy used one's to figure out what you want, once you pin it down, then throw down to buy your own new "perfect" shield.    But then again....  that's just my opinion, everyone's got one, if we didn't our forum would be very quiet.   :P
V&H Power Duals, CFR's - basically stock

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #235 on: July 24, 2009, 02:26:15 AM »

The Windvest is not flimsy at all. It is thick... unlike the thin KW. I fit mine to the SERG gasket and it is rock solid. :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #236 on: July 24, 2009, 06:44:44 AM »

The Windvest is not flimsy at all. It is thick... unlike the thin KW. I fit mine to the SERG gasket and it is rock solid. :drink:
you must've got the one made on a Wednesday because the one I saw was really flimsy as is what I've been told
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2009, 01:55:25 AM »

The WV is not as thick as a CV , but it is thick enough and very stable , the fitting is not perfect , but with the standard-gasket it works well .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »

Actually I was wrong... I measured WV and KW and they are both .120 thick.  Fitting the WV to the stock gasket must be why I have such a stable attachment. I fit the KW to the stock gasket and it was perfect also. The WV out performs the KW and CB and looks better in my opinion. Smoother, slower air stream. The "snowmobile" effect of the KW and CB seem to accelerate the air stream and create turbulence within the pocket...I am very happy with the 10" WV. Looks and performance were equally important... :drink:   

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »

Two questions, Highwaystar:

How is the Windvest for BSRs?
What did you do to fit the windshield to the gasket?

Actually I was wrong... I measured WV and KW and they are both .120 thick.  Fitting the WV to the stock gasket must be why I have such a stable attachment. I fit the KW to the stock gasket and it was perfect also. The WV out performs the KW and CB and looks better in my opinion. Smoother, slower air stream. The "snowmobile" effect of the KW and CB seem to accelerate the air stream and create turbulence within the pocket...I am very happy with the 10" WV. Looks and performance were equally important... :drink:   
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 24 queries.