Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch reduced effort - not on mine!  (Read 3403 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Hydraulic clutch reduced effort - not on mine!
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:30:08 PM »

I searched for previous posts about the hydraulic clutch and it seems that there is an agreement that the lever is easier to pull.  Mine is anything but easier to pull.  Mine is very tight and it is difficult to hold when sitting in traffic.  I never had this type of problem with a cable operated clutch.  I saw that there is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.  I have had no problems adjusting to the hydraulic clutch from day one and I really like how smoothly it operates, but I have found my hand tiring, causing me to let the lever out slightly from fatigue, and the clutch engages and I start to move.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Did I lose muscle tone while I was at the dealer making my trade?  Is there any way to adjust the tension?

planenut

• 1K CVO Member
  • life is short enjoy the ride
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2022 Road glide Limited Wicked orange Pearl and Blackhole
    • CVO2: 18 115 cvo limited anniversary #1068(sold)
    • CVO3: 15 cvo Limited Maroon and silver (sold)
Re: Hydraulic clutch reduced effort - not on mine!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »

you might want to get it checked out, just checked mine and it is easy to pull,easier than my flhx with the screamin eagle heavy duty pressuer plate.Something could be up with the clutch master cyl or maybeclutch bearing actuator :nixweiss:.

What do you see in the site glass

the cuse4 manual supplement says

If the sight glass is dark,the fluid level in the reservoir is above the sight glass prism and the resevior is full.

If the sight glass appears clear,the fluid level is below the sight glass prism and the fluid level should be checked.

Clutch fluid should be level with the internal shelf marked FILL LEVEL with the cycle upright and the gskt serface level.

that is the wording from the manual,hope this helps

Jon
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:00:50 AM by planenut »
Fullsac headpipe TAb Performance 4.5 slash 2.5 baffles
SERT program   horsepower hd cam
freedom shields 13 in
Custom Dynamics full lighting Ft and rear
Soundz 6 speaker set up 1k amp
Legends Axeo ft and Revo A in rear

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »

I would get it checked.  My hydraulic clutch works flawlessly and virtually no effort to work and I can keep the clutch lever in for as long as I want and the bike won't creep.  I do ,most of the time though, put the bike in neutral when I'm at stoplights, just because I want to take my hands off the bars for a few seconds...get it checked out, there may be something wrong.  Some of the folks that are more technically inclined like Jerry (GRC), Don (TwoLaneRider), or Axil, might be able to give you a more detailed explanation as to what might be causing this.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 02:27:53 PM »

Did I lose muscle tone while I was at the dealer making my trade?  Is there any way to adjust the tension?
Maybe the neighbor lady who had the battery that needed charging can help :gorgeous:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:29:46 PM by LarryB »
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »

Maybe the neighbor lady who had the battery that needed charging can help :gorgeous:

:beatdeadhorse:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 08:15:44 PM »

Is there any way to adjust the tension?

No.  No adjustment on the hydraulic clutch.  Even were there air in the system it wouldn't make it pull harder.  Faulty master cylinder wouldn't either.  The slave only slides in and out.  So barring some significant issue with its bore making it slide hard there's nothing there.  And I'm not sure you could get that without very quickly getting a leak.  Suppose you can't discount something in the clutch pack/plate itself (though I have no idea what). 

Have to consider a hydraulic line problem.  Restriction within or crimp on the line someplace.  That would force what seemed like inordinate lever pressure to push through it.  While nothing seems likely you have to start somewhere.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.