Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seat problem #1...heat doesn't work  (Read 3537 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Seat problem #1...heat doesn't work
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »

Anything simple I could be missing?  Front and rear heat don't work.  I took the seat off, unplugged, and plugged it in again.  I tried on high and low settings. Nothing.  I assume I'll have to take it to the dealer for this, but I'm hoping it's something they can fix.  I don't want to have to wait for a new seat to arrive.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Seat problem #1...heat doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »

Is it wired to the aux. fuse?   :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »

Is it wired to the aux. fuse?   :-\ spyder

I have no clue what it's wired to.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:31:40 PM »

Try turning on the Aux. switch.
The seat may be plugged into the wrong connector.......
as per Dealer prep!

Brad

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »

as per Dealer prep!

Brad

It was working fine, so it's not that it's hooked up to the wrong place and I don't think that's an item that the dealer wire in during prep anyway.  The last 2 rides I noticed it wasn't getting hot anymore.  I just checked the owner's manual and they don't show anything in there for the fuse for the seat.  They show which fuse is for the heated grips, but they work fine.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »

It's definitely fused.  Nothing like that is going to be unfused.  If can't identify which fuse it just check them all. 

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 01:35:27 AM »

as per Dealer prep!

Brad

Just in case, I did try your suggestion with the aux switch...no dice.  still not working.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:07:50 AM »

Just in case, I did try your suggestion with the aux switch...no dice.  still not working.
I think the issues with the aux switch happened only on the early '08's where the seat was connected to a switched outlet, and it was not mentioned in the manual. Since then the seat is connected to an unswitched, but fused, outlet. By the way: Is it only the seat not working?

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »

I think the issues with the aux switch happened only on the early '08's where the seat was connected to a switched outlet, and it was not mentioned in the manual. Since then the seat is connected to an unswitched, but fused, outlet. By the way: Is it only the seat not working?

Ride safely,
Louis

Yup...just the seat.

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »

Here is a small suggestion,  Try not to come unglued and run her in to your dealer.. They will fix her right up for you. It's got to be something simple like WIRING.
There's TONS of it and it craps out from time to time.. Example: my electronic bag locks are a pain in the rear to keep working, all wiring issues, pinched wires and crap, but we are getting there. Hang in there partner, helps on the way.. ;D

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »

Here is a small suggestion,  Try not to come unglued and run her in to your dealer.. They will fix her right up for you. It's got to be something simple like WIRING.
There's TONS of it and it craps out from time to time.. Example: my electronic bag locks are a pain in the rear to keep working, all wiring issues, pinched wires and crap, but we are getting there. Hang in there partner, helps on the way.. ;D

I'm not really all that concerned, other than it would sure be much easier if there were no problems to contend with.  Luckily, my butt doesn't seem to get all that cold, but for some reason, when my butt does get cold, my thought processes seem to freeze...wonder why?   :nixweiss:  I have the dealer look at it when I take it in for my 1000 mile service as soon as my new pipes arrive.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »

Dealer checked out my heated seat and there is power going to the seat, and they said that all they could figure was the element inside the seat may be burnt out, so they ordered me a new seat.  Of course, it's on backorder and I was told that they added an "A" to the end of the part number, which means they have made some sort of change to the seat.  I'm hoping that it's something that's a fix for what happened, but then it doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem, so now I'm wondering what they have changed on the seat.  I guess I'll find out if they ever get it for me.  They told me that when it comes in, they'll install it while I wait.   :ROFLOL:  Like I'm going to drop it off overnight to put the seat on.  It was funny how he said it...like he was doing me a favor taking care of that while I wait.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »

My 08 SEUC has dual heated seats and have functioned okay since 'birth' (used them a lot this past winter).  Don't know of a change in design but there very well may be one.  I have heard more issues with heated grips.  Your dealer says you have power to the seat, but didn't he check for an open circuit in the seat?  Very easy to check with a VOM.

T-man

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 12:19:53 AM »

My 08 SEUC has dual heated seats and have functioned okay since 'birth' (used them a lot this past winter).  Don't know of a change in design but there very well may be one.  I have heard more issues with heated grips.  Your dealer says you have power to the seat, but didn't he check for an open circuit in the seat?  Very easy to check with a VOM.

T-man

Yes, the 09 seats have changed since 08.  The 08 and 09 seats are not interchangeable.  I did speak to the service manager about my seat today, when my GPS system also self-healed itself.  After swearing to me that they did nothing to fix the seat and even had a new seat on order, today he told me that the seat was unplugged when I brought it in and that's why it wasn't working.  I unplugged and plugged that seat back in many times before I ever took it to the shop, trying to get it to work.  I had found previously that if you don't plug the seat in before you reinstall the seat, the plug gets in the way and you can't even get the seat back on (unless you get lucky I guess).  For him to tell me that crap put my confidence with him further in the crapper.  I happen to know without a doubt that I made one last stab at reconnecting the plug the night before they took the bike in, and there is just no possiblility that it was unplugged when they received it, nonetheless over and over when I kept trying it.  It's working perfectly for now, but I still have to wonder if there isn't a short somewhere that will eventually turn up at some future date.  I assume that if it happens, it won't take too many more years to show up, and I'll still be covered by warranty.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.