Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 05 low boy  (Read 1254 times)

abajon

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
05 low boy
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

My 05 nanna was a tiny bit to high for me stock.  I lowered it 1"  in the rear and now have problems with it bottoming out.  I love it being lowered in that it allows me to have both feet on the ground flat.  Anybody have any ideas as to how I might eliminate the bottoming out.  I have tried raising the air in the rear shocks to 20lbs but better but not perfect.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 05 low boy
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »

If memory serves me correctly your bike came from the factory one inch lowered. I'm not surprised that after lowering it another inch it is bottoming out. Some that have had the problem of getting their feet firmly on the ground have opted for air shocks that can be lowered/raised by an on board compressor. Those times they need to bike lower they will let our out the system, and while riding they will put air back in it to prevent it from bottoming out. Hope this helps.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »

You may want to try putting the original shocks back on and trying a different seat to get you a bit lower.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:39:20 AM »

You may want to try putting the original shocks back on and trying a different seat to get you a bit lower.

Chris

That might work but the stock, if that's what he has, is pretty thin as is. Next is a piece of cardboard wrapped in vinyl. Yep, the '05s are lower than the non CVOs. Like dood said, the only option I see is adjustable shocks that you can inflate / deflate on the fly.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »

quite a few of the ladies we ride with went with the Arnott system.   This allowed them to raise the height while riding and and lower it for stop lights, getting on it and slow manuevers where putting your feet down matter most to them.

The seats chosen were a solo from Mustang and a sundowner from Harley.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:14:19 PM »

Try growing up.  ;D   Kidding
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »

You've got a few options.  For now, you can go all the way up to 50 lbs. pressure in the rear (if they're stock shocks). 

You can also get a Corbin Close seat.......they're lower thant the stock seat and the nose is cut narrower, too.....so your legs are closer togther when stopped.

You can switch to Progressive 440 shocks and not worry about bottoming out again.

Send Jonga (on this forum) a PM (private message)........he lowered his bike even lower than stock.

For now, just put more air in them.  I think 20 is about the least I ever had....I usually run about 30-35 for better handling.  It was a stiff ride, but handled better in the twisties.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:19:37 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.