Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle Insurance  (Read 1965 times)

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SERK Anniversary Model
    • CVO2: 09 SERG "Silver"
Motorcycle Insurance
« on: March 06, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »

It seems like everyday I'm bombarded with insurance offers from GEICO, AARP, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, etc.  What are most of you using as your carrier and what benefits swayed you to choose that insurance company (e.g. premiums, loss settlements, accessory coverage, etc.)?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Motorcycle Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »

It seems like everyday I'm bombarded with insurance offers from GEICO, AARP, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, etc.  What are most of you using as your carrier and what benefits swayed you to choose that insurance company (e.g. premiums, loss settlements, accessory coverage, etc.)?

Results will vary by state, but my approach has been to request on-line quotes from all the big players every year and then make my own comparison.  Just make sure you specify the same coverage limits and deductibles for each company so you're comparing apples to apples.  Some on-line systems tend to lowball you by using minimum coverage limits in their automatic quotes.  If you look up state minimums you may be shocked to see that some haven't changed since the invention of the automobile and wouldn't protect you even in a relatively minor accident.  (As a side note, this is the type of coverage provided in that TV ad for "Safer Auto", absolute legal minimum to get a registration and pretty much useless for anything else.)

I switched from Progressive about 5 years ago to Foremost and have been with them since.  I joined AARP last year and this year I tried adding the AARP-Foremost quote to my research.  It saved me $39 over the exact same coverage from the regular Foremost policy, thus paying for my AARP membership.  The Progressive folks jacked up premiums in Indiana about 5 years ago (they used to be the low cost insurer), and they wanted $126 more per year than AARP-Foremost.  One thing I haven't done yet is to sit down with an independent agent and see what I could do by combining my homeowner and auto policies with the bike.  My current auto and homeowner insurer doesn't do bikes.

The upshot of my long winded reply is, your results will vary depending on your choice of coverage limits and deductibles, your age, experience, etc., and your state of residence.  As for how the companies handle claims, I can't offer an opinion since I've never had a motorcycle claim (knock on wood) in 40 years. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:54:26 AM »

I use Markel, which is far cheaper than my home and car carrier, which is Country Companies.  Markel can be found at www.bike-line.com and specializes in motorcycles, atv's, boats, etc....  A friend of mine uses Foremost.  He hit a dear on his bike, and they were fantastic to work with, they didn't give him any static at all.  I checked with them, but they were a lot higher than Markel on me for the same coverage.  You just have to shop.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »

Caution The state of LA is unlike any other jurisdiction.  Where else is the Law Merchant still law.  I suggest you contact the LA dept of insurance and see if they have  a consumer guide that compares rates.  We have that in AZ and it goes so far as to rate carriers by complaints against them per 1000 policies issued.

I use state farm because they bundle all my other insurance needs with appropriate discounts.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SERK Anniversary Model
    • CVO2: 09 SERG "Silver"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:19:04 AM »

grc – thanks for the advice regarding on-line quotes annually; I'm either too lazy or too dumb to have thought of that in the past but it does sound like good advice and one I'll certainly try.  I'm currently with Progressive and have noticed their rates have gone up.

Jbbrown73 – I'll check into Markel.  Say, I like the post picture you have.  I'm currently riding an 08 Screamin’ Eagle Anniversary just as you have pictured.  I love it but fell in love with the SERG when I was at the 105th in Milwaukee and it's taken all this time to save up enough $$$ to buy one.

IROAR – yeah, tell me about Louisiana, however, I can ride all year round so I won't complain too loud.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:42 AM »

I use Farmers Insurance Group, whick i think is owned by Formost, My PU, Car and Home owners is all with them. I had a 5,000.00 claim with them when i dropped my Low Rider off the back of PU Truck, Only thing they ask was did i tear my leathers or damage my helmet, They sent a check in less than 10 days. I pay 375.00 yr full coverage, 250.00 deductable on my 07 SERK. I could not find anyone cheaper with same coverage.
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 09:57:18 AM »

There's a thread or two on this topic.......if you use the search feature.

I use Allstate.  At the time, they were the cheapest (for same coverage comparisson from all) at the time......in late 03......that I switched to them.

The reason that I stay with them......they pay very quickly at fair market value without a bunch of BS (not KBB prices).  They also require new OEM parts (vs. take offs or cheaper foreign made parts.....when it comes to cars, etc.).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »

The problem here in Ca. is all the insurers (at least the 8 that I called) want to know your annual mileage and total cost of add ons. When I told them 15K a year mileage and 10K in add ons the premiums were over 1K per bike. With 3K per year mileage and 3K in add ons the cost dropped to about 400 per bike. Some guys here said their states insurers don't ask this.

Carlos Silva

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:49:27 AM »

been with Statefarm for 20 years for the scooters, cars and house...just switched the scooters 'only' to Nationwide, they have great deal on their Recreational Vehicle end...I'm now paying just a little more for the two that I was payin' for just one on Statefarm...all my buddies are switchin' as well...Maryland/Virginia area
2000 FLTRSEI  3-ToneRed - sold
2003 FXSTDSE  Centennial Gold
2009 FLTRSE3  Silver/Titanium
2007 400-HP TRAILBLAZER SS TOW VEHICLE

...when it comes to buying toys, I can justify anything

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:05:10 PM »

There's a thread or two on this topic.......if you use the search feature.

I use Allstate.  At the time, they were the cheapest (for same coverage comparisson from all) at the time......in late 03......that I switched to them.

The reason that I stay with them......they pay very quickly at fair market value without a bunch of BS (not KBB prices).  They also require new OEM parts (vs. take offs or cheaper foreign made parts.....when it comes to cars, etc.).
x2 - Although I've never had a claim, I got quotes friom them all and actually moved everything to Allstate.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »

I have used USAA for everything since 1999.  I have been very happy with rates and coverage.  Never had a chance to test their claims until 07 with my truck.  I hit a deer, they were quick to respond, but unfortuantly on the way to get the repairs done, I hit another deer.  Again they were quick.

That said, some time between April 2007 and January this year USAA quit writting motorcycle insurance.  The are having progressive under write it for them.  They said any bikes I had could stay with USAA until I no longer owned them but they would not write a policy for the wifes new Heritage or my SERG.

So I will have to see what I think of this.  I am with progressive on the bikes for now.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »

I live in northeastern Illinois, am 60 and have only one bike (FLHTCUSE4) insured with Foremost with the following coverages:
Liability $500K each accident; costs me $89
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist $500K each person/each accident; $121
Collision ACV less $250 deductible; $118
Comprehensive ACV less $250 deductible; $39
Optional Equipment ACV not to exceed $3500; included; and
Towing/roadside assistance $8.
Total is $375 per year for full year coverage, even though I don't ride in winter which is about 5 months long for me.
I got this thru my insurance agent and think it's a good price for the levels of coverage which may seem excessive to others, but I am paranoid about being sued in the event of an accident.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »

Forgotr to mention I get several discounts totaling $56 from Foremost.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

I too carry 500K in liablity and medical.

I am seriously considering raising it to 1 million.  I believe your insurance must be able to pay out more than you are worth.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 11:48:26 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 02:44:12 PM »

I took carry 500K in liablity and medical.

I am seriously considering raising it to 1 million.  I believe your insurance must be able to pay out more than you are worth.

Well in that case I guess I can cut my coverage back to $50K and save a bunch on premiums! 

Jerry  ::)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 21 queries.