Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nav System Question  (Read 1182 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Nav System Question
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:19:20 AM »

I usually leave my Nav CD loaded - just in case I don't have my Zumo with me.  Every time I start up the bike, the Nav warning screen appears, which has to be cancelled, and then the radio defaults to Nav mode.  I'm sure that this is the default, but is there a way to disable the warning message and/or turn off the Nav module?  Neither one is a huge deal, but it's annoying having to cancel them both each and every time.

Thanks,

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Nav System Question
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 01:30:02 AM »

Ed,

I'm wondering if that's because you leave the CD in, that it defaults to that.  I didn't have that problem when I have a CD in, but I did notice that today when I was trying out my NAV system, which seems to be working now.  Just my guess, but I didn't see anyone else answering.  I'll try to figure that out in the next few days myself, once it starts to annoy me too.

Dave

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:10:37 AM »

Dave,

I'm pretty sure that it is because I'm leaving the CD in, although I haven't tried without it.  That warning message is annoying.  I get the point - you shouldn't use Nav while riding.  Point taken, now go away.  I think it's more annoying to me now with big fat winter gloves on.  Those tiny buttons are a pain to push with bulky glove fingers.

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:26:48 AM »

Dave,

I'm pretty sure that it is because I'm leaving the CD in, although I haven't tried without it.  That warning message is annoying.  I get the point - you shouldn't use Nav while riding.  Point taken, now go away.  I think it's more annoying to me now with big fat winter gloves on.  Those tiny buttons are a pain to push with bulky glove fingers.

Ed

That entire NAV system seems to be a pain, but I'm still going to give it a shot.  The worst part of it is not being able to plan your own route with waypoints.  I don't think I saw anything in the manual to get rid of those warnings though.  I think we may be stuck with those.  I'm looking forward to trying those buttons without the heated gloves.  They only compound the problem of trying to hit any buttons correctly.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »

The HD nav system is junk.....JMO
Bill

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »

All navigation units have that warning when they first power up.  Even the portable ones, like the Magellans and the Garmins.  I think it's just a liability statement so that if you have an accident while you're playing with the GPS unit, you can't sue the GPS manufacturer because you "agreed" to not play with it while you were driving.  The warning message is a default message that will always come up when you fire up the motorcycle.  The only way you'll get rid of it, is to physically unplug the NAV module from the HK control head, so the radio doesn't sense the presence of the nav unit every time it powers up. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »

All navigation units have that warning when they first power up.  Even the portable ones, like the Magellans and the Garmins.  I think it's just a liability statement so that if you have an accident while you're playing with the GPS unit, you can't sue the GPS manufacturer because you "agreed" to not play with it while you were driving.  The warning message is a default message that will always come up when you fire up the motorcycle.  The only way you'll get rid of it, is to physically unplug the NAV module from the HK control head, so the radio doesn't sense the presence of the nav unit every time it powers up. 

True, but if you wait a few seconds it goes away - at least on the Zumo.

Ed

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 12:50:28 PM »

True, but if you wait a few seconds it goes away - at least on the Zumo.

Ed

True, some do, but most you have to push OK to acknowledge.  I have a Magellan 4250, a Garmin 2610, and an HD Road Tech Quest, all of which you do.  Also, both my built-ins in my Dodge Truck and my Wife's Honda Accord, you have to push the "OK" button to proceed to use the Navigation functions. It's just a liability feature to protect the manufacturer of the unit, just incase we get "stupid" and play with the GPS while we're driving and have an accident.

2012 FLHXSE3

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:48:43 PM »

RedDevil, off topic, but I hear that Fredericksburg is a great place for Civil War buffs to visit!

Ed

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »

RedDevil, off topic, but I hear that Fredericksburg is a great place for Civil War buffs to visit!

Ed

Ed,
One of the best...a lot of battle fields to visit, Chancellorville, Wilderness, Spotsylvania Courthouse, and Fredericksburg itself.  Up on the back portion of my back yard was part of a major Confederate encampment during the battle of Fredericksburg...it's all over the place here. 

2012 FLHXSE3

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.