Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Do people know what CVO or Screamin Eagle is?  (Read 4524 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Do people know what CVO or Screamin Eagle is?
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:37:34 AM »

I was at a dealer yesterday and ran into an old friend.  He told me he was thinking about buying this nice Fat Boy there, but they wanted way too much for it.  I asked his if it was a SE and he told me it's gray with a custom paint job.  We walked over for him to show it to me.  Immediately, I saw that it was an 05 SE Fat Boy.  It has 6000 miles on it and they were asking $19,000, so I assume they also have some room to move on it.  Anyway, he started pointing out to me all the add-ons:  the custom paint job - stock, the chrome hand controls - stock, the SS cables - stock, the chrome floorboards - stock, the 103" engine - stock...and on and on...stock, stock, stock.  He didn't get it at all.  He kept telling me that Harleys don't come with this stuff and I kept telling him that this was a SE and they are more money and they come with all this "stuff".  From what I noticed on the bike, it was bone stock all the way, but do you think I could get through to him?  Not a chance.  He took me over to meet the friends he was there with, and started right back in talking to them about how many upgrades someone put into that bike and proceeded to start making guesses as to what local painter did the custom paint job.  I got very annoyed and left the dealer altogether.

The point is that this isn't the first time by a long shot.  I have had so many people look at my bike, complement it, and start asking me about all the upgrades.  When I tell them it's a Screamin Eagle, it's like I'm in parenthesis and they don't hear me.  I tell them that it's pretty much stock, for the most part, the way it sits.  Right back to asking me who did the paint job?  Who did the 110" build on my bike?  and many more.  I guess I just never realized that most people, even Harley owners, don't have any clue what CVO is or what SE is.  To them, it means I put SE mufflers on my bike.  Maybe I just live in an area with a bunch of yoyo's running around

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Do people know what CVO or Screamin Eagle is?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:22:55 AM »

I tell non-HD folks that CVO is to Harley what Acura is to Honda or Lexus is to Toyota, an elevated member of the brand. It isn't exactly right but they get the concept. Different motor, fancier features, same manufacturer.

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:24:17 AM »

I tell non-HD folks that CVO is to Harley what Acura is to Honda or Lexus is to Toyota, an elevated member of the brand. It isn't exactly right but they get the concept. Different motor, fancier features, same manufacturer.

That the kind of analogy I've been using. It seems to click with most people.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »

most dealers dont know what CVO is..... I dont expect the average person to know what it is
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »

I usually get "is that the Fire bike"  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »

I know what you mean. The first one I saw back in 2000 was SERG and couldn't figure out why anyone would trick out a bike like that and then sell it with only a few miles on it. From that point on the image of that bike in the showroom was burned in my mind and instead of buying a new RG two years ago I searched the net for "that" bike and scored one with only 6K on it. I bet its still happening in the showrooms today with the 09 CVO's, they really stand out and create a awareness for the brand.  Doc

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »

Have to agree with Neal on the CVO issue.

Since the MoCo doesn't promote it much many don't have any idea what it is.

Similar to more obscure things on many automobiles.  What's a 930110 Porsche for example?  What's a Porsche Turbo?  Most know the second answer but the answer is the same for both questions, just the numeric nomenclature is used by enthusiasts the same way we use CVO nomenclature.

The average guy just doesn't have the reference library we do :2vrolijk_21:

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »

Average IQ is 100.

Half are higher.

Half are lower.

Usually it's apparent pretty rapidly which side of the line most people are on.

Not picking on your long lost friend there, maybe he just didn't get a full night's sleep or something.

But yes, there are many out there who don't "get" the concept of a factory custom called a CVO or a Screamin' Eagle series of models.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 02:03:59 PM »

$.02

I'm very grateful, esp. in these times that I can own an SE.  Many can't even afford a bike let alone an HD, let alone an SE.  People who can barely afford a bike are not likely to spend time learning about CVO's that cost like ours do.  Often, people have no idea what my bike is.  That's fine.  I ride it for me, not to impress anyone.  When someone asks about my bike, I'm proud to respond but I always ask to see theirs and talk about their bike.  You can learn something from everyone. 

Those of us here obviously like to be knowledgeable about bikes or we would not be here.  I've learned many things here.  Was I ignorant before?  (Don't answer!)  Heck, I bet Einstein knew nothing about bikes.   

The average guy just doesn't have the reference library we do :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

most dealers dont know what CVO is..... I dont expect the average person to know what it is

Imagine that , unbelievable .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 02:52:10 PM »

One of the other things is that I don't think there are enough CVO's sitting in showrooms long enough for people to even see them there and to get familiar with them.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 03:02:47 PM »

in '00 my buddy ordered and recieved an O/B SERG before the dealership started speculating and subsequently jacking the prices on SE's here.

I had NO IDEA what it was back then... but it didnt take long to figure out. I wanted one but they were always a little out of reach.

People that aske me about mine ask who did the taillights, the motor, the paint are SHOCKED when I tell them the bike comes out of the HD crate JUST LIKE YOU SEE IT (add refelctors)

I tell them the CVO is what to HD is what a SVT (Cobra) is to Ford's Mustang

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

Ha ha ha. Do they know CVO? Well for the most part in Europe they barely know Harley. They do not know if its a 1986 or 2009 bike, or about the different models, and engines, and, and, and. I leave it to the Moco to advertise the brand, and to the dealers to explain the models. And I am really happy the way it is.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »

One of the other things is that I don't think there are enough CVO's sitting in showrooms long enough for people to even see them there and to get familiar with them.

I agree with you on this one...  When I first brought up the subject of a CVO Ultra to my dealer, he gave me a head's up that one was coming in March (this was November).  He warned me that they are usually sold before they hit the showroom floor.  I'll vouch for that comment, because I know for a fact that they have received and sold four of them since December, and only one of them spent a few days on display.  The others I only saw in service being prepped for the buyers.  When they do sit around for a while, they are definitely attention grabbers and draw lots of attention.

Ed

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »

The situation is the same with the SEUC and SERG here with several dealers. They almost never sit on the showroom floor. So, many people never see them.

The day I picked up my 09 SERG, the dealer rolled it out in front of the building about 2:45pm. I had to be on a conference call at 3:00 and didn't get off the phone until after 4. Every person that walked into or out of the dealer slowed or stopped to look at my bike. Several made comments to me or asked, "Is that your bike?" It definitely gets attention.

A couple weeks ago, when I rode in to drop it off for service, the SM told me everyone in the store watched as I rode by the front windows on my way to the service bay.

I don't know about you guys, but I love the attention.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 20 queries.