Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: ACRs  (Read 2753 times)

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
ACRs
« on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »

Would bad ACR/s cause the bike to not start?

Bike and set up:
2007 CUSE2, TMAT, FATCAT, BIG SUCKER A/C

Symptom:
Hit start button and semi loud pow(spark plug side of eng) and bike turns over slowly and labored but
does not start up?  Tried 3 times then stopped to avoid any damage.

Have not done the Enhancement yet, have waited til something like this happened or another leak.
No problems like this in the past.

Thanks,
TimBone

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: ACRs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »

My first thought is to get it to the dealer....

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »

My first thought is to get it to the dealer....

Marty

Yup, Ditto that at this point.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »

I had all the enhancements done with new heads and ACR's and mine continually has the start issue. Have taken it to two different dealers and they cannot find anything wrong with the ACR's. They check good per there inspection requirements. This is a 2008 SEUC. I did have the ring gear changed way back but it still does it. I'm lost on this subject without going out on my own dime and re-engineering the start process of this new bike.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:45 AM »

I see you are on the East Coast...How's that battery? My ACR's were fried and the bike still cold started, although laboriously.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »

I had all the enhancements done with new heads and ACR's and mine continually has the start issue. Have taken it to two different dealers and they cannot find anything wrong with the ACR's. They check good per there inspection requirements. This is a 2008 SEUC. I did have the ring gear changed way back but it still does it. I'm lost on this subject without going out on my own dime and re-engineering the start process of this new bike.

Man, I hope they can figure something out on your bike soon.  Nothing worse than worrying about and existing condition with the bike!

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »

I see you are on the East Coast...How's that battery? My ACR's were fried and the bike still cold started, although laboriously.

Battery good, been on the Tender for at least a week with Green light.  Will get better look at it tonight.

Called Dealer and said I needz the enhancement so they are ordering up the parts and will call me when it is time to bring it in.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 06:08:01 PM »

You would be surprised how much happier this motor will be with just a cam change. A lot of the problems being seen are as a result either directly or indirectly to excessive cylinder pressure from the SE255 cams that have a very early intake close and the associated 220psi CCP

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:59:24 PM »

You would be surprised how much happier this motor will be with just a cam change. A lot of the problems being seen are as a result either directly or indirectly to excessive cylinder pressure from the SE255 cams that have a very early intake close and the associated 220psi CCP

You must have been looking on the shelf in my garage. 
I have the Woods TW7Hs, thanks to HD-Dude (Jim), waiting to go in bike as we speak,
so once it gets back from the Dealer after the enhancement, I will install those Babies!
And I can't wait for the Temps to come down and a little more power to boot!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:15:58 PM »

My 07 kind of started with a big knock and then after the fix it starts nice and smooth now.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »

My 07 kind of started with a big knock and then after the fix it starts nice and smooth now.

Rooster, that sure is good to know and hopefully mine will do the same!
Thanks for the scoop,
Tim

ae8850t

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »

I never had a starting issue on my 07 FLHTCUSE2, but I did get the oil leaks at the head gaskets at 4500 miles. They replaced the cyclinders and pistons and installed the latest head gasket design at the time. All was still well when I brought it in two weeks ago with 7500 miles for the update which included heads, latest head gasket design, ACR's, and crankcase center bolt. My service manager, who I've become very familiar with over the last two years, mentioned that during the upgrage process, it might be a good time to perform any other upgrades I may be considering as the motor would be apart anyway. He even offered to knock a few hours of labor off the bill since the motor would be apart anyway. That along with the 20% off all parts sale they had going, was enough to convince me. So, after much research and talking to a couple of respectable engine builders, I went with the SE251 cams and also upgraded the Throttle body to a HPI 51mm unit. A set of SE Quick Install adjustable pushrods was also put in. All I can say is what a difference. NO MORE pinging, runs noticably cooler, and picked up 13 HP and 7 lbs/ft torque in the process. The point of my thread here is, you may want to talk to your service manager and see if he's willing to give you a break on installing your cams while the motor is apart. Just a suggestion.
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stg.1 A/F kit
SERT
SE 251 Cam Kit
SE QI Push Rods
HPI 51mm TB

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »

A well thought out fix there
The SE251 is a hot performance grind in a 95" motor but in the 110 very civil and the TB change lets it breath on top. Now a little head work and slight compression bump, good pipe and tune and the 110" motor is the way it should have been from the start if EPA wasn't a factor.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »

I never had a starting issue on my 07 FLHTCUSE2, but I did get the oil leaks at the head gaskets at 4500 miles. They replaced the cyclinders and pistons and installed the latest head gasket design at the time. All was still well when I brought it in two weeks ago with 7500 miles for the update which included heads, latest head gasket design, ACR's, and crankcase center bolt. My service manager, who I've become very familiar with over the last two years, mentioned that during the upgrage process, it might be a good time to perform any other upgrades I may be considering as the motor would be apart anyway. He even offered to knock a few hours of labor off the bill since the motor would be apart anyway. That along with the 20% off all parts sale they had going, was enough to convince me. So, after much research and talking to a couple of respectable engine builders, I went with the SE251 cams and also upgraded the Throttle body to a HPI 51mm unit. A set of SE Quick Install adjustable pushrods was also put in. All I can say is what a difference. NO MORE pinging, runs noticably cooler, and picked up 13 HP and 7 lbs/ft torque in the process. The point of my thread here is, you may want to talk to your service manager and see if he's willing to give you a break on installing your cams while the motor is apart. Just a suggestion.

Great to hear the Dealer taking care of you, looks like I need to bring my scoot to Boston for some good treatment.
My Dealer down here is bare minimum and I sure hate bringing the bike in for the enhancement, but they have done the last two head gasket leaks and dont give me a hard time about the TMAT and FATCAT.

ae8850t

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »

I also considered headwork as well when I was researching the possible upgrades. I spoke in-depth with Reggie at R&R Cycles in manchester NH. These guys really know their stuff and design and build their own motors from the ground up. Check them out sometime if you've never heard of them: http://cart.rrcycles.com/  Thier fuel injected 155 Cu. In. motor is to die for!  (Roger Bourget uses them as an engine upgrade on some of his custom choppers).
Anyway, I told him what I wanted and he basically talked me into the motor upgrades I did. Simple and very effective (105 HP & 112 Tq vs 79 HP & 95 Tq stock). He also mentioned 2 levels of headwork he could do which could bump compression and airflow and probably add another ~10 HP/TQ. But considering the issues with these motors, heads/cylinders, I was a little leary about dumping a bunch of money into the replacement heads. I think down the road I may consider possibly going with an R&R 113 Performance Kit if the rest of the motor stays healthy, and if I decide I really need more oomph. I'm very happy with what it has now.
Rinehart True Duals
Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stg.1 A/F kit
SERT
SE 251 Cam Kit
SE QI Push Rods
HPI 51mm TB
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.