Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which tuning device  (Read 1366 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Which tuning device
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:00:21 AM »

Coming up on the 1000 mile service in a couple of weeks on the 09 SEFB. Want to have the bike tuned and in particular, cooled down! So I am looking at all the different tuners, PC V, SERT etc.. I mention these two as they are where I am leaning. I have the SERT on my 08 SG and had it on my 2002 RK. It works and we have a great tuner/operator in my area. I'm not cheap but I don't mind saving $450 or so. Thats the difference between the two. $300 for the PC V from Fuelmoto, programed. SERT is $750/$775 with dyno tune. I guess I want somebody to recommened the PC V which is where I'm leaning. I will mention that I had the PC III on two Honda VTX 1800's and honestly I had to remove both because they absolutley distroyed the gas milage on both bikes. Fuelmoto is trying to convince me I won't have that problem and I would like to believe them. They have been great about listening to my many questions and I have purchased a couple of exhaust systems from them. Also had a couple of problems with a pair of slipons and they went far and beyond the call to take care of it. Anyway would someone like to enlighten me or just comment on the PC V in particular.
  Gary

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Which tuning device
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:44:16 AM »

Coming up on the 1000 mile service in a couple of weeks on the 09 SEFB. Want to have the bike tuned and in particular, cooled down! So I am looking at all the different tuners, PC V, SERT etc.. I mention these two as they are where I am leaning. I have the SERT on my 08 SG and had it on my 2002 RK. It works and we have a great tuner/operator in my area. I'm not cheap but I don't mind saving $450 or so. Thats the difference between the two. $300 for the PC V from Fuelmoto, programed. SERT is $750/$775 with dyno tune. I guess I want somebody to recommened the PC V which is where I'm leaning. I will mention that I had the PC III on two Honda VTX 1800's and honestly I had to remove both because they absolutley distroyed the gas milage on both bikes. Fuelmoto is trying to convince me I won't have that problem and I would like to believe them. They have been great about listening to my many questions and I have purchased a couple of exhaust systems from them. Also had a couple of problems with a pair of slipons and they went far and beyond the call to take care of it. Anyway would someone like to enlighten me or just comment on the PC V in particular.
  Gary
Since you mention that you have a good tuner in your area and he's provided good service on previous bikes what are they recomending? If you're not going to do the tuning yourself I would think the best way to go is by the suggestion of the person that is going to do the tuning. Just my $.02 cents. :)

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:17:50 AM »

Since you mention that you have a good tuner in your area and he's provided good service on previous bikes what are they recomending? If you're not going to do the tuning yourself I would think the best way to go is by the suggestion of the person that is going to do the tuning. Just my $.02 cents. :)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I agree. Sounds to me like you are more interested in "plug and play". If you are comfortable with your local wrench, why not go that direction? If you have any issues after, you have recourse to go back to him. For those of us who like to play with our settings, there are SERT, TTS, etc. etc.
I guess it just depends how much you like to play with your bike.
HOGMIKE

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

DING !
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

2fatbob09

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 05:34:35 PM »

Cooling down by how much??? 10-15 degrees via a fuel management system will not make much difference and will void parts of your warranty to boot. Leave well enough alone and if it ever does overheat let the MoCo be the culprit. If you read carefully you will see that it is only the touring (or boring) models that are overheating because of the lack of airflow. The lack of airflow is due to the fairings and chit which block necessary air.

Let's face it...the daze of air cooled big V-Twins are coming to an end and it is time the MoCo recognizes it.

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »

harris:

If your still undecided, I would recommend you consider the TTS MasterTuner which is offered by the same company that made the SERT for MoCo.  One of the better Dyno Tuners/Dealers who has a lot of experience with many of the tuning systems is John (HerkoBagger) at:

http://www.flyingwperformance.com/

Would definitely be worth a phone call.

Also some info here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=32986.0;all

:2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:59:42 PM by WVULTRA »
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 10:31:05 PM »

Find a good tuner have them tune in open loop with SERT and you will be a happy camper for sure. Make sure you get all your mods in place before the tune, as any minor changes has big effects on your tune. Another option would be TMAX auto tune offering wide band sensors allowing a cooler running tune. Where are you located, i may be able to help you find a good tuner in your area.

regards,

sportygordy  :2vrolijk_21:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

SPORTY he is within striking distance of Zippers!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:40:26 PM »

Cooling down by how much??? 10-15 degrees via a fuel management system will not make much difference and will void parts of your warranty to boot. Leave well enough alone and if it ever does overheat let the MoCo be the culprit. If you read carefully you will see that it is only the touring (or boring) models that are overheating because of the lack of airflow. The lack of airflow is due to the fairings and chit which block necessary air.

Let's face it...the daze of air cooled big V-Twins are coming to an end and it is time the MoCo recognizes it.

Not sure where you get your info but this information is just plain wrong. Cooling the oil temp down 10-15 degrees will be a noticable difference in engine heat. Second, adding a fuel management device does not in itself void the warranty, (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Enacted 1975) Third, It is also not only the new touring models that run HOT. Sporties, Dynas, Softails also run VERY hot. The Moco does not have different fuel burn requirements based on model and the 14.7 AFR fuel burn is the source of the heat. I will admit that a touring models with lowers do hold more heat at slow speeds and idle but at hiway speeds the lowers actually will funnel air into the engine area.

Are the air-cooled V-twin days over......who knows, I hope not but I doubt it. Victory seems to be doing a good job of it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:42:31 PM by hd-dude »

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »

Stick with what you know,as the other half would say " Save, Save and Save " , I did and I'm happy as h-ll, took an extra month to save for the same deal, But its proven and it works and it hasnt let me down, yet!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 24 queries.