Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vance & Hines Fuel Pak  (Read 10576 times)

steve282

• Live For The Moment

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Vance & Hines Fuel Pak
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »

Has anyone had any experiance with the V&H fuel paks. I'm in the process of putting one on my 06 FLHTCUSE.

I'm currently running V&H Oval Slipons and a SE A/C. I don't want to get into the expence of  a SERT or Power Commander, and have no plans of anymore performace upgrades.
Live for the Moment

Steve

eddfive

Re: Vance & Hines Fuel Pak
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »

If you never plan on touching it again then you should have it dyno tuned with a tuner that programs the ECU.  Once tuned this way it will never change unless something mechanical breaks or maintenance is not kept up.  The Fuel pak only does fuel where a good dyno tune will tune everything from starting to warmup to fuel to ignition to decel to accel, anyway there really is no comparison between the two.  I never understand this mentality as you have a roughly $30,000.00 motorcycle and why would you not want it to run at it's top efficiency?  Running at peak efficiency will make you much happier and the bike will run better for longer.

Spazz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »

The V&H Fuel pack can not be tuned. You can only download the map from V&H and that's it. In fact, you can not install one on a 2009 because they don;t have maps for the 110 yet, especially this years version. I would suggest a power commander or similar. If you want to argue with me you can(some here argue just to prove how smart they are, even if they are wrong), but before you do, call V&H and ask them so you can hear it from their mouth.

MAXX

• C-17 Loadmaster Beer Drinking Lush
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »

Brother, I'm with you on the SERT and PC5. I about crapped my pants when I found out how much they were going to charge me for the install. I just had V&H Power Duals, V&H Basic slip-on's and the V&H Fuel Pack installed. I can't tell you from my own experience how it runs or sounds. I'm still in the sand box and won't be back till mid May. The dealer, my son and best friend all said it sounded and ran amazing. I also have no plans for any engine upgrades.
Besides price, I went with the Fuel Pack because everything else was V&H. In addition, it doesn't have to be ran on the dyno at $80 per hour to tune it.
Another reason I didn't go with the Power Commander was because of a bad experience with my last bike. I took to several tuners and could never get it dialed in. I ended up just taking it off the bike and throwing it on the shelve.
 Once I get back and get some miles on the bike I will let you know how it runs. I will also add some pictures once my son sends them to me.

Maxx

Kodiak

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:19:02 PM »

The fuel pack did my friends bike more harm than good and others he has talked to that had them.
2012 Candy Cobalt Twilight Blue FLTRXSE, Vance & Hines Power Duals, 4" Rinehart's, SE Super Tuner, Mustang Super Solo with backrest &  passenger seat.

MAXX

• C-17 Loadmaster Beer Drinking Lush
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:41:13 PM »

The fuel pack did my friends bike more harm than good and others he has talked to that had them.

What happened to your friends bike? I hope I didn't make another mistake by purchasing another fuel managment system that doesn't work. I posted a question regarding all 3 systems on HDForums and could never get a answer one way or the other on any of the 3. Some hate the Fuel Pack and others hate the SERT. The only hands on experience I've had was with PC was with the PC3, it would cut out initially when cranking on the throttle. Had 3 different dealers dyno it with no success. Last dealer removed it and it ran fine. Who know's why it wouldn't run right.
Really not sure on how the dealer tuned my FP if V&H doesn't have the numbers for the settings for the 09's?
I know, you pay $30,000 for a bike, what is another $1,000 for a SERT or PC5 with auto tune (and dyno). Well, I make the payments, but don't have the money for big dollar extras. Maybe once I retire and get rid of some kids I can splurg for the high dollar add on's.
What ever you go with I hope it works out for you. I also hope I didn't make a $269 mistake.

Maxx

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »

Really not sure on how the dealer tuned my FP if V&H doesn't have the numbers for the settings for the 09's?
I know, you pay $30,000 for a bike, what is another $1,000 for a SERT or PC5 with auto tune (and dyno). Well, I make the payments, but don't have the money for big dollar extras. Maybe once I retire and get rid of some kids I can splurg for the high dollar add on's.

Maxx

The dealer did not tune your bike. All he did was download a map, which was probably the best available match he could find. Hopefully it was for a 110.

I suspect (certainly not positive, as I've been wrong before :)) that the stock ECU is still controlling fuel in the closed loop range of 2200 to 4000 rpm. I believe your download is only effective outside of that range when you are in open loop mode.

BTW, I understand and am sympathetic about kids, descretionary income etc. My motorcycle expenditures and funds went up significantly after 55.

Riding is much more fun than debating the merits of one system over another anyway.
live free and ride safe

admccrea

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »

here is what happened to me with my last bike.
1.  I changed the pipes and new intake then got the harley download.  I lots of decel pops.
2.  next I bought the V&H fuel pack...they didnt have an exact match...not much better.  Now I have over $300 invested.
3.  Next I got the race tuner and the bike ran great.  Yes it cost more but I wish I didn't spend the $300 first only to be dissapointed.  Bite the bullet spend the money upfront and be happy with the results.
4.  You know you are going to make more changes later, it the way we are wired...

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:35:01 PM »

I installed the V&H Fuel Pac on my '06 Road King (stock motor /VH TruDuals/VH Mufflers/ SE A/C). Ran well with the settings as specified in the owners manual, but I had a few flat spots between idle and WOT. Called their tech help line, very helpful, changed a few settings, bike ran great afterwards. Never dynoed, "all seat of the pants" opinions, but these pants have many years in the seat. Put 12,000 hard touring miles on it, no problems.
Tommy P

steve282

• Live For The Moment

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »

Brother, I'm with you on the SERT and PC5. I about crapped my pants when I found out how much they were going to charge me for the install.
Maxx

Thanks Maxx,

I also had a similar problem with a PCIII after a dyno on my 05 FLHTCSE. I ended up unplugging it and the bike started and ran better. I was quoted 1000.00 dollars for a SERT with a dyno, and chit my pants. I have a couple of dealers in my area, so I called another one about a H-D download. They recommended the Fuel Pak. I spoke to a tech at the dealership, and he said that they were in installing these on all their bikes with much success, and very little problems, this is what sold me on the product. Installation and mapping is also very easy for the average Joe. You can have it installed and mapped in less than an hour. They also mentioned that tech support at V&H was very good and that they could tweak the factory mapping for you if you incur any problems. For the guy who said there is no mapping for the 09 110. Vance & Hines has a Fuel Pak available for 08-09 touring models with mapping. P/N 61009. This is probably whats on your bike. I'm going to be a little more optimistic, than some on the Fuel Pak that it will work fine on a stock bike. I will also let you know how it works out for me.

I'm taking the plunge on a Fuel Pak.

P.S. Wishing you all the best! and be safe.
Live for the Moment

Steve

Spazz

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »

V&H does NOT have a map for a 2009 110 engine. I don't think this option will work for you if your bike is a 2009. Try something else like a power commander or whatever tickles you.

FLHRSE3

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 06:10:54 PM »

V&H does NOT have a map for a 2009 110 engine. I don't think this option will work for you if your bike is a 2009. Try something else like a power commander or whatever tickles you.

Not to be argumentative, but their website does list a very limited number of settings for a 2009 110”, actually one for Rush slip-ons and three for various V & H pipes.

Regards

Gregg

Greybeard48

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

Last year at Sturgis one of my old Army buddies had V&H duals, Monster Ovals and Fuel Pak installed by the V&H crew at their trailer at Black Hills H-D. After 5 maps and 2 days spent it finally got the right map and ran very well.
 He loves the way it sounds and runs now. I think so too, but I would caution anyone that assuming that a pre-installed map will be perfect out of the box.
 This install was on a '07 Stage I Roadking, so it wasn't a complex setup. The Fuel Pak runs fine but it wasn't a plug-n-go situation. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:07:01 PM by Greybeard48 »

steve282

• Live For The Moment

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 07:28:33 PM »

The Fuel Pak runs fine but it wasn't a plu-n-go situation. 

I have to agree with this qoute. I installed the fuel pak this weekend. Bike runs good, no poping. I do get a cough out of the breather every once in a while. I'm sure there is a quick fix, for this. Let's see what V&H comes up with after I contact tech support. Overall I'm very satisfied with the ease of installation and use. I'll let everyone know how the fix works out.
Live for the Moment

Steve

Spazz

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »

I just don't get you guys sometimes. I did little on my 2009 SEUC4. I changed my cams, put on a high flo air filter, and then the V&H monster ovals with the power duals. This set up is fairly basic and V&H does not have a map for it. I can't even debate this as I tried with them to map it and they haven't tested nor do they offer a map for this basic set up. You all must know more the the company itself. I had to find an alternate fuel management system due to V&H's lack of maps for a 110. Anyone here is welcome to call V&H to find this out for themselves. I finally put on the newest version of the Power Commander and Dyno Tuned my bike. I didn't kill my warranty or had my exted warranty voided as they would have surely done with a SERT. I am now bullet proof with performance,warranty and reliabilty.

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 24 queries.