Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How many miles will these tires go?  (Read 2530 times)

potlucky

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX
How many miles will these tires go?
« on: March 28, 2009, 02:17:45 PM »

What kind of tire wear have any of y'all seen on the new tires for the 09 seuc? These tires seem a lot better than previous years,  I got 14,000 miles on the rear of my 08seuc riding 2-up about 75% of the time. I would think these (new) tires should last longer,  but I don't want to find out the failing point. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
Re: How many miles will these tires go?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »

If you got 14k out of a D402 Dunlop, then to me that is about all you can ask for. I only got 9k out of mine and there was no more tread left after that. 10K is the maximum
I have ever gotten out of a rear tire on any bike, and I don't waste the tires by doing burn-outs. I would be stoked if I got 14k. If the new tires will get 14k, that would be
excellent in my opinion. The one thing about the bigger tire that is a problem is that they tend to pick up nails and screws off the road easier than the slimmer tire. Were you
running a tire different than the Dunlop? My only experience is with the Dunlop. Maybe that is the reason you had increased mileage.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:15:17 PM by JohnT. »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 05:40:07 PM »

I have never ever gotten over 10k on a rear tire. dunlop, metzler, avon. front goes about 16-18k
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Ultrafun

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:51:01 PM »

Like LarryB I'm getting approx 10K with the back and 15-16K with the front.  That's been consistant with all of the Ultra's I've had over the last 10 years.  I do know that the 09 CVO Ultras have dual durometer tires.  We'll see how they do.  Hopefully with the new tire size the mileage life will get better.

Ultrafun

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 07:32:02 PM »

10700 miles on the front and that looks like it's about it ,due to the cuping..........09flhtcuse4
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:51:44 PM »

If I ever got 14,000 miles out of a rear tire, I sure would be pleased.  I am used to getting from 5000 to 7000 miles on a rear tire, and since I've never put over 14,000 miles on a bike before trading it in, I don't know how many miles to expect from a front tire...other than I've never been close to replacing the front tire, even at 14,000 miles.  Actually, come to think of it, I did get about 8500 miles off the rear tire on my last bike, but it was definitely shot when I traded in the bike and I was about to replace it when I replaced the bike.  To me, 8500 miles was stretching it well beyond what I really felt comfortable with.  I hope the tires on my 09 give me more miles, but I'm not counting on it.

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 04:39:09 AM »

14K is unheard of in a rear tire on a motorcycle, tires must have been spun on a good day, for sure..
I used to work at a General Tire, tire plant,  and used to ride a motorcycle there.. I KNOW how long tires last,
on vehicles...

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »

The most I have ever seen on my bikes is 10,000 on a rwar and 15,000 on a front. Was the bike on a dyno that got 14,000............
Bill

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:32:48 AM »

10700 miles on the front and that looks like it's about it ,due to the cuping..........09flhtcuse4
Sounds like a pressure issue. If the middle of the tire wears out quick, might be overinflated. cupping can be from under inflating.
You'd be surprised how many people run wrong pressure in the tires. Just because it says 40lbs on the sticker doesn't mean that's what you run. that is the Max.
OK, Now everyone go to your garage a check your pressure, I did mine yesterday.both bikes were at 34-35 lbs I bumped mine to 37 and kept the wife's at 35.
the new dunflops are much improved as the middle is a harder surface and the outer softer for grabbing on curves.
All this is just my opinion and should not be considered the opinion of all.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 10:32:21 AM »

Not an '09, but I believe Dunlop changed something in the compound of their tires in '04. I got 14,950 out of my first rear tire and 19,815 on my first front tire on my '04 SEEG. I run 36 psi in the front, and 40 psi in the rear.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

potlucky

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:55:06 PM »

Thanks for the input. I was told that the tires on the cvo were different than on the regular models, but aren't they the same size? Different compound? I was real pleased with my milage. I was told they look good until just before they get bad. Is this true?  I only have 2100 miles on the new bike. At my 1000 mile service they said the tires did not show any wear yet, so i am hoping to get about 15000 miles from this tire. But if it needs it sooner it will get replaced. I will not push it. safety is too important with only 2 tires between me and the pavement. So far very happy with these tires.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 10:39:53 PM »

Thanks for the input. I was told that the tires on the cvo were different than on the regular models, but aren't they the same size? Different compound? I was real pleased with my milage. I was told they look good until just before they get bad. Is this true?  I only have 2100 miles on the new bike. At my 1000 mile service they said the tires did not show any wear yet, so i am hoping to get about 15000 miles from this tire. But if it needs it sooner it will get replaced. I will not push it. safety is too important with only 2 tires between me and the pavement. So far very happy with these tires.

I would check those tires occasionally for wear.  I only have about 1600 miles on my bike, so I've got plenty of tread left, but I still check them to see look for any uneven wear.  I haven't experienced these new tires over the long haul yet, but I still can't imagine getting that many miles out of a rear tire.  I'm still assuming that around the 5000 mile mark, I'll be starting to watch that rear tire even more carefully.  I'll ride down to 2/32" and will proceed with extreme caution if I run into wet roads when I start getting down to that range.  I would love to be able to get more miles out of tires, but I think the more you rip through the gears, the more you wear the tires.  Maybe under relaxed riding conditions, I might get more mileage, but I seem to have this nervouse twitch that tends to crack that throttle pretty hard.  I always figured that the hard shifting was causing the tires to wear more.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »

I tend to agree with everyone else on this subject. I have never been able to get over 10K on the rear tire no matter who the manufacturer was. I average about 12K on the front. Seems like tires and brakes go together in my life never change one with out the other needing it about the same time....

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »

I never got over 6,000 on the rear. I usually trade every 2 years so I don't have to replace the front. I read somewhere the 180s on the 09s aren't even going 5,000. The 180 on my rice rocket was gone at 4,000. I keep 45psi in everything.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »

They better get more than 5000 miles.  I'm not replacing my tire 4 or 5 times a year.  That's almost a tire a month in the 6 to 7 good riding months here.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.