Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Top end "clacking" sound  (Read 52932 times)

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
Top end "clacking" sound
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »

My 110 is making a top end "clacking" noise from about 2800 to 3400 rpm's and it does this when you're going up through the gears. To better describe the sound, it's what you hear if you lug the engine too much when pulling out (OL on back). The noise is louder when the engine's on the cold side and a little quieter after you've been riding a while. Is it rocker arms ? If not, can something be adjusted during the 1000 mile service ?

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Re: Top end "clacking" sound
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:59:39 PM »

Sounds like the rockers hitting the rocker boxes...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »

check and see if the top of your pushrods are hitting the upper push rod tube cover. just drop the cover and see if there are any scrapes on the pushrods usually the exhaust will be the problem it has more of an angle to it

moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »

it would be odd to hear of the 09 hitting since those are preclearanced rocker boxes
now from the factory.  it is only a few bolts and you can have the top off and take a looksy if you are so inclined.   Are you sure it is coming from the top end and not a piston type of slap that you hear from say 2600 starting to 3400 and really noticable when you do it as a slower accelerate?

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »

Mine, and a lot of other's, does the same thing despite having the boxes clearanced.  The MOCO will tell you it is normal and give you a variety of explanations.  It comes down to you not shifting it right, the same thing that makes them run hot and leak oil.  It won't get better with time.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »

Mine, and a lot of other's, does the same thing despite having the boxes clearanced.  The MOCO will tell you it is normal and give you a variety of explanations.  It comes down to you not shifting it right, the same thing that makes them run hot and leak oil.  It won't get better with time.

Exactly!  Remember back to that 250cc two stroke from the '60's and how you had to wind it up to make any sort of headway?  Now, use that same technique with your 1800cc V-twin to avoid all the clatter and accusations of "lugging".  Keep the rpm's above 4000 and everything will be just lovely.  Oh, and maybe your crankshaft won't shift due to "lugging" either.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »

it would be odd to hear of the 09 hitting since those are preclearanced rocker boxes
now from the factory.  it is only a few bolts and you can have the top off and take a looksy if you are so inclined.   Are you sure it is coming from the top end and not a piston type of slap that you hear from say 2600 starting to 3400 and really noticable when you do it as a slower accelerate?

This bike hasn't been in for its first service yet so I'm not going to unbolt anything on the engine as long as the dealer can do that under warranty. It ran through my mind that HD's thin break-in oil might be causing it and was hoping a change to good engine oil like Mobil 1 or Amsoil would get rid of it.

The noise sure sounds like it's coming from the top end but I can't tell for sure. It makes the same sound as a V8 rocker arm when you back the bolt out during a hydraulic valve adjustment. That's why I'm thinking rocker arms. And yes, it's louder during slow acceleration but wouldn't the reason be that I'm in that rpm range longer ? Do the 110 pistons have piston slap because of short skirts ? I have that issue with my truck and in that engine, it sounds more like a rod bearing going out (down deep).

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:28:04 AM »

The oil they put in isn't thin break-in oil, it's just not that great regular Syn3.  Changing to another brand is a good idea, but don't expect it to make much if any difference.  Mine sounds the same on Mobil 1 V-twin.  One of the theories being thrown out by the squealers is "short pistons".  To begin with, they all have the same pistons so why don't they all do it?  Then there is the question of whether anyone actually started the 110 engine before unleashing it on the general public - sure it knocks, but send them out and see what happens?  And finally there are engines that use even shorter piston skirts that don't have any noise.  It's just something they can say to hide behind so they don't have to try and fix it. 
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »

It was much quieter tonite and that doesn't make sense. I could still hear it but not near as loud. It was the same tank of gas and about the same outside temperature.

Has anyone seen an improvement after eliminating the restrictive exhaust and getting it tuned ? Surely, getting rid of the lean condition and eliminating all that restriction's gotta help. The louder pipes will hide some noise too.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:30 AM »

Spark Knock? Tune it.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 06:58:16 AM »

It was much quieter tonite and that doesn't make sense. I could still hear it but not near as loud. It was the same tank of gas and about the same outside temperature.

Has anyone seen an improvement after eliminating the restrictive exhaust and getting it tuned ? Surely, getting rid of the lean condition and eliminating all that restriction's gotta help. The louder pipes will hide some noise too.

I have a test for you to do. with the bike hot after riding at least 30 miles , put bike in neutral and put the jiffy stand down and leave the bike running , get off the bike and listen to the primary, near the derby cover see if you hear it rapping or clattering. Thats what mine does and sounds like the top end when riding.   Doc

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:21 AM »

The rapping sound is caused by the short piston skirts of the 110 Engine. Harley will tell you it is normal. I just got out the first 70 miles of the season on my 09 Roadglide and it also raps from 2800-3200. Just another noise to get use to.

If anyone comes up with a fix let us know.

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 09:30:58 AM »

I had this rapping/knocking sound also. I thought it was coming from the primary in the beginning but after talking with the dealer and HD found out it was the engine. When they did the 0905 campaign I talked HD into giving me new pistons, rings and cylinders. HD told me the noise was due to short pistons and the noise would not go away with the new parts but gave them to me for customer satisfaction. The noise was completely gone. The rear cylinder base started to leak again and it started using oil so they tore it down to install a new gasket and sealer on the base O-ring and found other issues with the new heads and decided to give me a new engine. (4 sets of head and base O-rings) The new 09 engine now has 2000 miles on it and makes the same noise as the first one, but not as bad. So the only fix is to try new pistons and cylinders and hope for the best. HD will indeed tell you it is normal and they will no longer do anything about it. I am just going to live with it and hope my new engine does not start leaking.

Ultra Villa

• Full CVO Member
    • NJ

• CVO1: 14 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHX
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »

Looks like I have the same problem.  After going through all the campaigns, H-D replaced my motor back in September.  I have a little over 2500 miles on new engine, and started hearing the noise again in the last few days.  I have not found any leaks, so hopefully changing the oil will do the trick.  I still have Sync 3 in use.  :coolblue:
Live for today, for yesterday is already gone and tomorrow may never come.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 10:41:21 AM »

The only other thing I can say is I changed my oil and put in some 20w60 Redline and it definately quieted down the lifter/valve noise but did not help the piston slap. I live in Vegas and it gets very hot here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.