Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: x  (Read 7009 times)

egultrac

x
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »

D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:12:55 PM by egultrac »
08 FLHTCUSE3, 09 FLHTCUSE4, 15 FLTRUSE, 17 FLHTKSE, 19 FLHTKSE, 19 FLTRXSE.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Vance & Hines Monster Oval fix
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

Interesting.  Mine arrived yesterday and I plan to put them on this weekend.  It's supposed to snow, so I won't be able to hear what they sound like, but it's good to know there is a way to quiet them down if they are too loud.  I hope this is the last set of slip-ons I have to buy.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 01:59:44 PM »

The pipes are back on the bike with just a little more sound over stock.

egultrac

Do you still have the cat?  
I love the looks of the monsters...but you are 1 of many who has not liked the deep base for long rides...glad you made them work to your taste.
They look outstanding!  
What is the chance of you posting a video so we can hear the end result?
guppytrash

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:49:32 PM »

Do you still have the catalytic converter?

vtwincvo

• CVO1: FLHTCSE1
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: FLHTXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

After mounting the Monster ovals and going for a ride I was going to sell them due to the constant booming bass sound at highway speeds. I've found an simple fix that makes these pipes just a little louder than stock. The three sided exhaust heat shield at the front of the pipe acts to magnify the sound. So I used muffler packing to fill in the space and what a huge difference that makes. No more reverberating bass sound at any highway speed.

All the sound now comes out the back instead of reverberating out the side right in front of the bags.

I totally agree with your analyse; I've just mounted them last Saturday with power duals, screaming eagle "ventilator"air filter and Super SERT, and I was really desapointed by the level of sound at bass level, even at 2000 rpm !

I ran yesterday 300 miles and it has been a torment for my ears and my head with a strong bass resonance in my helmet, very far away from my waitings.
However, I love the quality (not level) of the sound, power & torque feeling when I turn the throttle. The look of the total line is also terrific ! with a good quality perception.

Due to these "bass resonance" I wondered yesterday whether I were not going to resell them..... Until I read your thread today; thank you !

Some questions more :
1- You have packed the mufflers and not the head pipes, isn'it ?
2- Where do you buy the material to put between the mufflers and the heatshield.
3- What do you think about the resistance to the heat of this material in the future after riding a lot of miles ?

Thanks for your help.

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »

What will riding in the rain/getting the packing wet do it ?

vtwincvo

• CVO1: FLHTCSE1
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: FLHTXSE
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:21:29 AM »

The packing is only around the front hollow in the heat shield. Quality packing material can be bought at any motorcycle shop for around $10 to $15. Heat resistance has been excellent, this is the same stuff used inside the muffler to quiet the baffles. You will notice a bit of an odor coming from the packing material when you park your bike after the first few rides but that does go away. Riding in the rain will probably get the outside of the packing wet but the heat from the pipes will dry it quite fast.

I'm thinking V&H will have to revamp these pipes. Maybe those of us who bought them are being used as their guinea pigs. Many of us want the familiar rumble and more power but without the harsh noise.  

Thank you for this precise details, unfortunely I don't think it will be so easy to find the material on this side of the ocean (I live in France) but I will search for it.

I think like you that V&H will have to revamp their exhaust to avoid to destroy the ears of their clients !

I hope they will read this post.

Thank again Egultrac

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 20 queries.