Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Kuryakyn Air Master Windshield  (Read 23855 times)

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
Re: Kuryakyn Air Master Windshield
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2009, 09:38:20 AM »

Hi 61bbltop, you still liking it.  The only thing stopping me from ordering this shield is the fit.  I don't have a CV gasket only the stock one.  Currently using the CB14.  So exactly what have you come up with as far as getting it to fit and seal properly?  Some close up photos would be helpful.  Would purchasing the #1370 windshield trim piece (another $129.99) help?  Thanks for your help.
Dave

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2009, 04:21:45 PM »

Okay, we just got back from a 2K trip down to Key West and back.  The windshield performed flawlessly...so much so, that I didn't even notice it in front of me.  We hit some extremely bad rain coming into Homestead and with my visor cracked open on the full-face and me looking under it and over the windshield I could maintain about 65-75 mph where cars were pulling off the road or doing about 45 mph with wipers flailing and flashers on.  They must have thought I was nuts!

As far as the seal goes, I've posted a pic of the package from Lowes below.  When you apply it to the inside of the Kury, put it just below the black on the sides and when you get to the front, run it just below the Kury decal so the top edge of the seal underlines Kuryakyn.  This will seal the inner portion perfectly.

I've been thinking about cutting a new section of the seal to fit the outer/bottom portion of the windshield.  The seal has two holes running the length so I'd slice just behind the first groove so the bottom edge of the shield fits in there and then carefully mount the windshield with the major portion behind the shield.  I'd leave the tape in place with a little extra hanging out so when I get it positioned right with all the screws started and almost snug I could pull the backing free and the seal would be perfectly affixed to the fairing.  Just a theory but I think it'll work.  I'll try it next time I've got the shield off. 

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »

Other side of package

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »

Installed

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »

One more

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »

Okay...what the heck...just got motivated and installed the seal on the bottom.  Change to the procedure...you don't have to slice the seal down the length.  Here is a pic of how you should lay it down.  Clean the surface with some windex.  Go ahead and cut a length where you have an inch extra on either end.  Peel the tape of the back of the seal and install as you see below.  As you fit the shield you can peel up the seal and reposition as much as you need to.  Start in the center and make sure when you install the shield to shove it down so it contacts the seal so just the outer most ridge just clears the outer edge of the shield.

As you can see the seal looks pretty clean and is water tight.  I still need to do a little tweaking but it fits pretty good for 30 minutes work.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »

Seal placement.  NOTE: make sure you cut a half-moon relief for the outside/aft holes.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2009, 07:59:34 PM »

Looks pretty good...only needs a little tweaking.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »

NOTE:  This seal will work with other shields too.

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »

Very nice and clean fit.  It was worth waiting for you to get back from the keys.....I'm ordering the Kury tonight!  Thanks loads for your imput!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 11:22:42 AM »

Okay, we just got back from a 2K trip down to Key West and back.  The windshield performed flawlessly...so much so, that I didn't even notice it in front of me.  We hit some extremely bad rain coming into Homestead and with my visor cracked open on the full-face and me looking under it and over the windshield I could maintain about 65-75 mph where cars were pulling off the road or doing about 45 mph with wipers flailing and flashers on.  They must have thought I was nuts!

As far as the seal goes, I've posted a pic of the package from Lowes below.  When you apply it to the inside of the Kury, put it just below the black on the sides and when you get to the front, run it just below the Kury decal so the top edge of the seal underlines Kuryakyn.  This will seal the inner portion perfectly.

I've been thinking about cutting a new section of the seal to fit the outer/bottom portion of the windshield.  The seal has two holes running the length so I'd slice just behind the first groove so the bottom edge of the shield fits in there and then carefully mount the windshield with the major portion behind the shield.  I'd leave the tape in place with a little extra hanging out so when I get it positioned right with all the screws started and almost snug I could pull the backing free and the seal would be perfectly affixed to the fairing.  Just a theory but I think it'll work.  I'll try it next time I've got the shield off. 

Thank you . I went to Lowe's and bought some weatherstrip put it on the back with a CV gasket worked well. I am 6-3 with a 34 in inseam and after using it for about 2K miles it works well, I got a little more buffeting on the top of my helmet than I really liked. For me I could be another inch or two taller...Going to call my plastics guy here in Dallas and see if he can put a " Euro Flip " on the top kinda like the CV. Other than that...I'm pleased. Thanks Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »

has anyone tried to take 1" to 1 1/2" off the top to see if it still performs well?

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »

According to my UPS tracking it will be here Tuesday 6-16.  I'm heading to Lowe's now to get the MD Weatherseal.  Let you all know how it turns out soon.  Thanks 61bbltop!

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:45 PM »

Forgot to include the pic of how/where the inner seal should go...here it is.

P.S. I played with the seal a little more and got it to fit even better than in the above pics.

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2009, 09:09:12 PM »

It did arrive and it's pretty.  When on the bike it's the best looking shield I've seen.  Now for the  :oops:.  Should have paid more attention to 61bbltop height recommendations.  At 5'10 I'm looking about 1 1/2 inches below the top and getting a glare/mirror image of the speedo/tach right in my field of vision.  As much as I would like to make this work, I'm calling Kury for an return authorization tomorrow morning.  Guess the next step is Clear View. :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.