Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Saw something I really don't like to see!  (Read 2224 times)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Saw something I really don't like to see!
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »

As a former road captain and as someone who loves the family here I have to vent! A recent ride report had a number of shots that made me cringe! There was a number of pictures with someone next to a truck/trailer! That is hell to me. As someone in the trucking industry I can tell you what a tire or recap can do when it let's loose, you don't want to be there! It will blow your car into the next lane, so if your on two wheels what do you think will happen? Folks, if your on the road and you come up on a truck, trailer, bus, etc don't stay there. Come up and slow down, match your speed with the rig, about 2 seconds behind it, when you can twist that throttle, do it and move to your left as much is safe and get by. If your leading others please get past enough so your buddies can do the same. You are leading, so please remember those behind you, they are your responsibility, keep them safe too! Get them home!
 Sorry, but I hated to see that.   Ride safe, Dave

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
Re: Saw something I really don't like to see!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »

Buddy of mine had a habit of tailgating. I was well behind him as he got too close to the azz end of a big truck. Recap let go. Beat the he11 out of his bike and he's lucky to have lived through it. A lesson I'll never forget. Big trucks scare me for a lot of reasons so I just get the he11 around them and get down the road. I never could understand those that want to hang beside / behind them, nothing but bad news when something goes wrong.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »

I wonder if we should do a Safe Riding Tips section?

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »

Good advice and I think a safe riding tips tread would be good for new riders and some old riders.

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 07:25:43 AM »

As a fairly new rider...I'd love to see some safe riding tips and tips on riding with a group :)

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:19 AM »

Wrongway...I've been in the trucking business since the the late 70's as well....It doesn't take long to RESPECT TRUCKS!! A 40 ton rolling machine, deserves respect !!
Letz Ride

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »

Don't like following trucks and won't ride alongside them.

I have been behind (never on a bike) several trucks when tires let go and it gets messy real quick.

I have been behind two trucks that had rear tractor tamdens come off (one ion flames) - wheels, tires and brake drums - very scary.

We had a fire engine in my town lose a front wheel/tire responding to a call one day!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:13:14 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »

As a fairly new rider...I'd love to see some safe riding tips and tips on riding with a group :)

These are a few of basics if you haven't seen already might be helpful fr group riding.

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Group_Ride.pdf
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:36:27 AM »

Its always a heads up at night also, looking for those road gadders to come up and take a bite out of you. :'(  Doc

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »

Don't want to ride behind or beside a livestock truck either! :o
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »

In regards to some other riding tips, this thread can be found in the "Sticky Threads" section..........  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=5540.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »

I wonder if we should do a Safe Riding Tips section?

Done!  Go here........   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=35541.new#new

West Coast GTG   

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 09:15:45 PM »

Don't want to ride behind or beside a livestock truck either! :o

A group of use were following a LARGE horse trailer when the occupants decided to take a group Pee , about the funniest thing you have ever seen. Major amounts of pee pouring out of the trailer and all the bikes scrambling to move to dry roadway. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »

I was riding through Arkansas when I was 21 and met two 18 wheelers with livestock.  It was a winding twisty road and every corner after meeting them was like riding on ice.  When they turned the slop flew into the other lane or the shoulder depending on the g-forces.

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 11:51:14 PM »

As a former road captain and as someone who loves the family here I have to vent! A recent ride report had a number of shots that made me cringe! There was a number of pictures with someone next to a truck/trailer! That is hell to me. As someone in the trucking industry I can tell you what a tire or recap can do when it let's loose, you don't want to be there! It will blow your car into the next lane, so if your on two wheels what do you think will happen? Folks, if your on the road and you come up on a truck, trailer, bus, etc don't stay there. Come up and slow down, match your speed with the rig, about 2 seconds behind it, when you can twist that throttle, do it and move to your left as much is safe and get by. If your leading others please get past enough so your buddies can do the same. You are leading, so please remember those behind you, they are your responsibility, keep them safe too! Get them home!
 Sorry, but I hated to see that.   Ride safe, Dave

Great advice, I never spend time around big trucks for those exact reasons. Plus if one does as you suggest (and I practice) they get to wind up their rides. I remember a ride across the great state of La where there was a string of 18 wheelers and by the time I passed the lot I was going damn near 100 mph with a state patrol right there with me. He just waved at me as he passed by.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.