Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Group riding tips.........  (Read 4158 times)

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
Re: Group riding tips.........
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:14 AM »

Any safe riding tip is a GOOD TIP!

Lil-Bit

• Elite CVO Member
  • My Next Husband Will Be Normal...
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

well then, forgive my redundancy. But mine had Pictures.

We like pictures  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 08:38:02 AM »

I just experienced a horrible group ride.  I rode with 3 others from PA to FL and from the start, the other 3 rode in a tight group...way too tight.  They were weaving in and out of cars at 90+ mph.  I chose to stay back a distance from them, as I didn't like what I was seeing.  I saw that they had no concern for me falling back when they weaved their way into clear road and I decided not to even try to stay with them.  The first time they stopped to wait for me, I told them to continue on and not to worry about me with future stops.  I did catch up to them many times along the way, as one of them was on a Sportster with a 2 gallon tank and for some ungodly reason, by luck of the draw, I ended up at the same exit and gas station as them on every second gas stop for them.  Then they would lose me again, only for me to find them again around 160 miles down the road.  Also, the guy with the Sportster ran out of gas twice on the trip, which caused me to catch up then also.  These guys were just not safe riders and did not use their heads under any circumstances.

To make matters worse, they did not have their bikes maintained and ready to go for the trip.  The Sportster had a completely bald rear tire, and one of the other bikes had no rear lights at all and one front turn signal out.  They wanted to continue on the in rain, at night, even though I urged them to stop riding with a bald tire and no rear lamps.  The leader of the pack said it was okay to ride without rear lights as long as he stayed in 2nd position and stayed to the right of the highway.  I finally stopped and got a room for the night, and those "wingnuts" continued on.  Of course, to round things out, the leader kept bragging to me that he had 41,000 miles on his bike and he had never cleaned it yet.  I was very glad that they decided to continue on without me.  I was only planning to ride as far as Jacksonville with them and then I had my own plans in FL anyway, so splitting off south of Savanna, GA was no big deal to me at all.  I was more than happy to make the ride home on my own.

More goodies to point out.  We left PA with temps in the 30's and one guy had grown out of his leather jacket and had to leave it open the entire trip.  He had everything with him in 2 small throw over saddlebags.  The guy on the Sportster had nothing but a backpack he wore.  Only one of the three had any money with them, so they passed around the one guy's credit card everytime we stopped for gas and he was ending up paying for all 3 of them for everything.  When they wanted to sneak all 4 of us into one motel room, I got my own room.  I noticed that what they had packed in the throw over saddlebags and the backpack was a huge assortment of candy. So much for a packing list!  It was truly like riding with Larry, his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl.  Keep in mind that this wasn't a quick trip they had planned.  I spoke to them a few days ago and they had continued on to New Orleans, and were last in the Houston, TX area, so they have a major trip in getting back to Pittsburgh ahead.

I feel bad posting this about them, but I'm guessing the chances of them ending up reading this on this forum are quite slim.  I had been wanting to take a ride to FL and the one guy announced at a HOG meeting that he was riding to FL if anyone wanted to ride along, so I thought this would be a good thing...having someone to ride with.  Perhaps my standards are set too high, but I don't think so.  I stayed at $30 to $40/night motels, as I am more concerned about being able to park my bike directly outside my door than having great accomodations on a bike trip.  It's not like I was looking to stay at the Hilton or do anything even mildly extravagant.  But safely returning home was priority number one, and making sure I have a change of clothes and food available aren't far behind.  I guess I need to evaluate more closely who I ride with in the future.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »

Dave, Let me start by saying I, was not the Larry you mentioned  :huepfenlol2:
When you told me about this the other nite I laughed at it, but now as you explain it in detail i find it more disturbing than anything. Sad that there are riders with this attitude. Makes us seasoned rider look bad to Cagers.
These are the kind that something terrible has to happen to them to straighten up and fly right, or not
Glad you made it home ok, and looking forward to riding with you in Eureka Springs :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 08:46:15 PM »

I just experienced a horrible group ride.  I rode with 3 others from PA to FL and from the start, the other 3 rode in a tight group...way too tight.  They were weaving in and out of cars at 90+ mph.  I chose to stay back a distance from them, as I didn't like what I was seeing.  I saw that they had no concern for me falling back when they weaved their way into clear road and I decided not to even try to stay with them.  The first time they stopped to wait for me, I told them to continue on and not to worry about me with future stops.  I did catch up to them many times along the way, as one of them was on a Sportster with a 2 gallon tank and for some ungodly reason, by luck of the draw, I ended up at the same exit and gas station as them on every second gas stop for them.  Then they would lose me again, only for me to find them again around 160 miles down the road.  Also, the guy with the Sportster ran out of gas twice on the trip, which caused me to catch up then also.  These guys were just not safe riders and did not use their heads under any circumstances.

To make matters worse, they did not have their bikes maintained and ready to go for the trip.  The Sportster had a completely bald rear tire, and one of the other bikes had no rear lights at all and one front turn signal out.  They wanted to continue on the in rain, at night, even though I urged them to stop riding with a bald tire and no rear lamps.  The leader of the pack said it was okay to ride without rear lights as long as he stayed in 2nd position and stayed to the right of the highway.  I finally stopped and got a room for the night, and those "wingnuts" continued on.  Of course, to round things out, the leader kept bragging to me that he had 41,000 miles on his bike and he had never cleaned it yet.  I was very glad that they decided to continue on without me.  I was only planning to ride as far as Jacksonville with them and then I had my own plans in FL anyway, so splitting off south of Savanna, GA was no big deal to me at all.  I was more than happy to make the ride home on my own.

More goodies to point out.  We left PA with temps in the 30's and one guy had grown out of his leather jacket and had to leave it open the entire trip.  He had everything with him in 2 small throw over saddlebags.  The guy on the Sportster had nothing but a backpack he wore.  Only one of the three had any money with them, so they passed around the one guy's credit card everytime we stopped for gas and he was ending up paying for all 3 of them for everything.  When they wanted to sneak all 4 of us into one motel room, I got my own room.  I noticed that what they had packed in the throw over saddlebags and the backpack was a huge assortment of candy. So much for a packing list!  It was truly like riding with Larry, his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl.  Keep in mind that this wasn't a quick trip they had planned.  I spoke to them a few days ago and they had continued on to New Orleans, and were last in the Houston, TX area, so they have a major trip in getting back to Pittsburgh ahead.

I feel bad posting this about them, but I'm guessing the chances of them ending up reading this on this forum are quite slim.  I had been wanting to take a ride to FL and the one guy announced at a HOG meeting that he was riding to FL if anyone wanted to ride along, so I thought this would be a good thing...having someone to ride with.  Perhaps my standards are set too high, but I don't think so.  I stayed at $30 to $40/night motels, as I am more concerned about being able to park my bike directly outside my door than having great accomodations on a bike trip.  It's not like I was looking to stay at the Hilton or do anything even mildly extravagant.  But safely returning home was priority number one, and making sure I have a change of clothes and food available aren't far behind.  I guess I need to evaluate more closely who I ride with in the future.

Incredable that they made it to Florida, let alone Texas.  The one guy's credit card is probably maxed out by now.  It's kind of satirical......funny but sad because it's true.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2009, 01:32:05 AM »

How do ya think Wrongway got his name? :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Since this forum is not affiliated nor endorses any group rides and they're strictly a bunch of people deciding to ride together......there's no board.  These are just suggestions and none are absolute.  For instance, some of the HOG rules mentioned above are different from rules of most clubs.

If you're going to have a group ride, especially with a group that hasn't rode together before, you might want to think about a pre-ride meeting to lay down the ground rules for that ride, so that they know what to expect.

I remember I passed a slow moving trike on the right because I didn't like following it.  It bounced and weaved all over the lane, but mostly stayed to the left.  I didn't know you weren't supposed to pass on the right, or even pass at all.  What do you do when you are following someone that rides erratically- i.e. can't hold a line.  I was embarrassed when a friend of mine said "never pass on the right"!
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2009, 05:31:54 AM »

Pull off at the next exit, full up, have a wee, drink some coffee, have a smoke. then proceed, problem solved
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »

gave me a chuckle er two reading this. 8) but in reality it isn't funny, glad you had yer wits about ya and rode at yer own pace.

you did miss a free sandmich and beverage by not notifying me you were in the savannah area. :drink:

TN

and careful, dumbass is contagious. :coolblue:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

Always ride your own ride...and you just can't fix stupid, just can't.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »

Thats reminds of last night...10-15 of us, I was the only one 2-up...Well, as each other one decided they needed gas and then, wait, needed an atm and then...

Well, I said GFY's and I'll see you idiots when you get to where we are going...I plodded along listening to music and had a nice ride...About 20 minutes later the thundering herd of baboons showed up cussing each other and sweating form a hell ride...the exit ride was just as funny but I rode my ride not thiers.. :D

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »

Here is a link to Pashnit, a group riding post.  Long, butr pretty well written, a lot meant for new riders.  I don't agree with everthing in the post but for most people who have not ridden in groups much it is a good post.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8759
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »

Here is a link to Pashnit, a group riding post.  Long, butr pretty well written, a lot meant for new riders.  I don't agree with everthing in the post but for most people who have not ridden in groups much it is a good post.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8759

sklywag,
Your right about long, but informative. Like you, I don't agree with everything said but a lot of good info there. Makes you think about what goes through the rice burners mind, not all that different than ours.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2009, 03:39:13 PM »

Might also mention that when within a group; stay there.  See too many riders who feel compelled to show their ass somehow by cutting in and out or falling back or forward to talk to someone.  Stay put.  Enjoy the ride.  Leave the "Look at Me, I'm Cool Changing Places" t-shirt boots at home.  If someone really does need to move to speak to someone then signal intent, go where you need to and stay there.

Bump

Marty
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:35:58 AM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »

When riding in a pack in the left lane of a 2 lane each way highway, either go at least 10 mph over the speed limit, keep up with traffic, or stay in the right lane.  All that happens otherwise is you piss off the cages when they can't get around due to other slower right lane traffic.  They then either tailgate or dart into the pack to try to get around the slowdown.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »

When the route requires a U turn, NEVER, and I mean NEVER pass inside any rider that can't cut it as sharp as you! Give your friends the room to do what they have to do to be safe! Saw it happen this weekend and it pissed me off beyond belief!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 20 queries.