Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch  (Read 10699 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hydraulic clutch
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »

The only advantage I can think of for the cable version is the ability to fine tune the engagement point.  Everything else is a disadvantage, as in broken clutch cables out in the middle of Bumf@#k Egypt, cleaning/lubing/adjusting the cables on a regular basis, etc.  Hydraulics are the way to go, but for those who prefer nostalgia I plan to work up a retro rear brake package with drum brakes and a rod connected to the pedal to go along with the cable operated clutch.  ::)

BTW, if you have clutch drag which affects finding neutral or makes certain shifts difficult, you need to make absolutely certain that there is no air anywhere in the system.  Bleed the line at the fitting to the master cylinder first, then at the bleeder valve at the actuator.  If it still drags, remove the clutch inspection cover (derby) and measure the total travel of the release rod.  It must travel at least 1.65 mm (0.065") when the lever is pulled to the grip.  If it doesn't, there is still some air trapped somewhere or you have a mechanical issue in either the master cylinder or actuator.

I won't mention the out-of-flat clutch plates that also create drag, since those have been common with either type of release mechanism.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »

The Hydraulic clutch engagement is trick only. Honestly, after having both, I like the clutch cable better. My bike is very hard to find neutral stopped, like my old shovel FX was.
Only this time there is nothing I can do about it. I don't hate it. But, I've had better, let's put it that way..

What are you using in the transmission and primary?  I had Mobil 1 V-twin in both and had difficulty getting neutral at a stop.  When I put Redline in the trans and their primary fluid in the other hole the problem disappeared immediately.  I suspect the transmission was the main difference.  When I got my '07 the clutch was very grabby, the engagement zone was almost instantaneous.  After a few thousand miles it got a lot better.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 12:01:30 AM »

The only advantage I can think of for the cable version is the ability to fine tune the engagement point.  Everything else is a disadvantage, as in broken clutch cables out in the middle of Bumf@#k Egypt, cleaning/lubing/adjusting the cables on a regular basis, etc.  Hydraulics are the way to go, but for those who prefer nostalgia I plan to work up a retro rear brake package with drum brakes and a rod connected to the pedal to go along with the cable operated clutch.  ::)

BTW, if you have clutch drag which affects finding neutral or makes certain shifts difficult, you need to make absolutely certain that there is no air anywhere in the system.  Bleed the line at the fitting to the master cylinder first, then at the bleeder valve at the actuator.  If it still drags, remove the clutch inspection cover (derby) and measure the total travel of the release rod.  It must travel at least 1.65 mm (0.065") when the lever is pulled to the grip.  If it doesn't, there is still some air trapped somewhere or you have a mechanical issue in either the master cylinder or actuator.

I won't mention the out-of-flat clutch plates that also create drag, since those have been common with either type of release mechanism.

Jerry

When installing the SE six speed gear set on my CUSE, I installed a energy one clutch plate kit (check link below)
and Redline Heavyshock proof gear oil and MTl primary oil,,,, Very satisfied with the marriage of both.  :2vrolijk_21:
http://energyoneclutches.com/product.php?productid=15&cat=9&page=1
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:06:52 AM »

Does the clutch master cylinder also take DOT4 fluid?
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSEĀ³
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:19:50 AM »

Does the clutch master cylinder also take DOT4 fluid?
Yes.

:)
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

Scooterleg

• Its just cash.

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE - Red
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »

I have a 07 FXSTSSE. The Clutch has not been serviced since new, and perhaps this is my problem. This spring, I pulled the cover off and got the Springer out and went to start it. No problem. Pulled the clutch lever in and shifted to first and the bike lurched forward and stalled the motor. I found that the cluch isn't operating. If it were a cable style, its acting like the cable is broke. Last fall when I put the bike away for the winter, the clutch was working fine.

I pulled the clutch lever resovoir lid off to inspect the fluid level. It is full.

Anyone got any ideas what I should do here? I have no idea if there is air in the line, nor any idea how air would have got in there.

New to servicing Hydraulic clutches.
My other bikes are:
1997 XL1200C
2003 FLHRCI
2005 XL883C

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

I have a 07 FXSTSSE. The Clutch has not been serviced since new, and perhaps this is my problem. This spring, I pulled the cover off and got the Springer out and went to start it. No problem. Pulled the clutch lever in and shifted to first and the bike lurched forward and stalled the motor. I found that the cluch isn't operating. If it were a cable style, its acting like the cable is broke. Last fall when I put the bike away for the winter, the clutch was working fine.

I pulled the clutch lever resovoir lid off to inspect the fluid level. It is full.

Anyone got any ideas what I should do here? I have no idea if there is air in the line, nor any idea how air would have got in there.

No difference in thought than any other small hydraulic system.  Just a master cylinder on top and a slave cylinder at the bottom.  Try bleeding it first.  Do four or five slow pumps then crack the bleeder.  Repeat serveral times and see if it makes any difference.

If the slave cylinder in the tranny side cover has failed you'll lose fluid inside the transmission.  So if the fluid level goes down but you've not gained any clutch action that's your hint.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »

Had the same problem on mine.  Just bled the air out of the system.  Get you several feet of clear hose, 1/8th inside diameter from Lowe's or Home Depot and slip it over the bleeder plug on the right side.  Cover your painted surfaces so you don't get the fluid on it.  If you do, get it off ASAP.  Remove your clutch reservoir cover and use a turkey baster to suck out most of the old fluid then add new fluid, slowly pump clutch several times and while holding the clutch lever in, slowly open the bleeder plug and watch for air bubbles and for your fluid to start running clean.  Remember to allow for expansion of fluid in the reservoir, as the clutch plates wear, more fluid stays in the reservoir. Just opposite of the brakes when they wear.
Jesus is Lord

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »

part of the problem is that as the engine gets larger the spring gets stiffer

originally the hyd clutch was to make the effort about the same on a stiff spring as a cable on a soft spring.

try a soft spring with a lock up - its not the hyd clutch that is stiff

to

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »

Could be just "sticky" plates.  Try starting it and letting it warm up in neutral.  Pull the clutch lever in and hold it in for a bit to see if the plates loosen up.  Worked for me after mine sat for an extended period of time.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Scooterleg

• Its just cash.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks to all the friends that gave tips on what to do here. I will be trying the "bleed" this week-end".
My other bikes are:
1997 XL1200C
2003 FLHRCI
2005 XL883C

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »

What is the average cost of kit for the older Evolution 5 to 6 speed conversion?
I have a Barnett Scorpian Clutch with about 500 lbs of tension on pressure plate.
Do they still use stock throughout bearings? Baker heavy duty TBK-56L? ?
Thanks
Ltank

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 04:00:42 AM »

About to flush entire clutch systems for the first time and have a bottle of Dot 4 that has been opened a bit over a year now, bottle is 90% full and colour is clear with a very slight olive oil colour.

On the bottle is suggests to discard after one week from opening. I think it would be a waste of brake fluid however its not that expensive so do I purchase a new bottle or will what I have be OK?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »

About to flush entire clutch systems for the first time and have a bottle of Dot 4 that has been opened a bit over a year now, bottle is 90% full and colour is clear with a very slight olive oil colour.

On the bottle is suggests to discard after one week from opening. I think it would be a waste of brake fluid however its not that expensive so do I purchase a new bottle or will what I have be OK?

Buy new.  Like you said, it isn't very expensive.  And that stuff sucks moisture out of the air like a sponge, so even if you think you had the bottle sealed up tight as a tick why take the chance?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scooterleg

• Its just cash.

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 09:53:18 PM »

Just to let everyone know my outcome. I found the bleeder nipple on the top of the transmission end cover. Hooked a hose up to it and fed the hose end into a jar. pumped the clutch lever about 5 times then bled some fluid out and cut off the flow. I repeated this a couple of times - thinking I would see a bubble or something - I never did. I checked the level in the resovoir and it had'nt gone down much. It was at the full line. I guess it may have been overserviced? could that have been my issue? After bleeding it a few times, the normal feel of the lever action seemed to return. So I called it good and have been riding it since  :bananarock: - All good.  :drink:
My other bikes are:
1997 XL1200C
2003 FLHRCI
2005 XL883C
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 20 queries.