Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch  (Read 10696 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Hydraulic clutch
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »

First HD I have owned with a hydraulic clutch. 
Just wondering what your opinions are? 
I like it but miss the adjustment ability for where the clutch engages related to clutch lever release.
Any required maintenance to these?

Thanks
gt

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Hydraulic clutch
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 11:11:43 PM »

The only drawback is the inability to adjust them. Fluid should be flushed every two years.

nautilus

• CVO1: 2009 FLTSE3 Slvr/Tit.
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHPI
    • CVO3: 2004 FLSTFI
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »

This is my first hydraulic clutch also and I have a question...   Is there any adjustment to make it easier to pull in..?

I had surgery on my left hand a while back and I'm finding out very quickly that the "pull" on the clutch on my SERG is taking a bit of getting used to.  My HD dealer says there's no adjustment, but I have to question that.

Anyone know the answer..?

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »

I'm not sure how it could get any easier.  Will working it strengthen your hand and improve your ability to operate it?
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »

The short answer is no. There is no adjustment. The Hydro clutch should be very easy to pull, I would check others and see if yours is different.

nautilus

• CVO1: 2009 FLTSE3 Slvr/Tit.
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHPI
    • CVO3: 2004 FLSTFI
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 07:56:42 AM »

The short answer is no. There is no adjustment. The Hydro clutch should be very easy to pull, I would check others and see if yours is different.

I think that's a very good idea.  That way I'll know for sure.

I'm not sure how it could get any easier.  Will working it strengthen your hand and improve your ability to operate it?

I think over the long run my hand strength will continue to improve as it's already doing.  Compared to my 04 RK which has the EZ clutch this SERG clutch feels like it has twice the resistance on  the pull.  I'm looking forward to verifying the proper operation of my hydr. clutch.  Either way, it's a sweet ride.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »

The hydraulic clutch is harder to pull than the ez clutch on my 2008 road glide.  About 50% more effort.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

bbsiding

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:22:12 AM »

I'm no heman but I can operate my wet clutch (2005 seeg) with my little finger for shifts and two fingers at a light
2005 SEEG Teal
20011 FLHTCUSE6

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 11:27:30 AM »

Comparing the SE Hydraulic clutch to the EZ pull might not be correct.  The CVOs (07 for sure) have a heavier clutch spring.  That is helped by the Hydraulic clutch but may be the same as the standard spring clutch pull prior to the EZ pull.  If you follow that logic, the EZ pull clutch may be lighter as compared to Hydraulic with much heavier spring.

I've installed EZ pull conversions and in the kit is a spring that is even lighter than the standard non cvo spring.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:22:28 PM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »

I HAVE A 07 fXSTSSE with the Hydraulic Clutch and Love it. I was actually thinking of installing one on my 01 Road King. To me the feel is better. Sure it is a heaver pull. I guess to each his own as far as likes and dislikes. It is diffrent from riding the Springer from Road King. You'll know when you pull in the clutch.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »

The only drawback is the inability to adjust them. Fluid should be flushed every two years.

Just completed this task on the Green Bike along with the brake fluid.  Also changed the brake fluid in the 02 FLHR even though it is DOT 5.  Never hurts to keep fluids fresh.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 12:13:35 AM »

I have an arthritic left basel joint thumb and installed the HD Hydro clutch. To make it even easier to pull and work as slow speeds, I added a lock up clutch, like those by taimachi. The combo works well for me.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 06:14:36 AM »

I have had my SERK which came with a hydraulic clutch for 5 years and have not had any problem.  It's a heck of a lot easier to pull then my Sportster was.  I have not had a problem with adjustment.  Changed fluid & bled 1 time, no other maintenance or adjustment needed.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »

Don't really notice much difference between the hydraulic clutch on the Green Bike and cable clutch on the Purple Bike.  I keep the cable lubed with INOX, and it is always very easy to operate.

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 04:38:27 AM »

The Hydraulic clutch engagement is trick only. Honestly, after having both, I like the clutch cable better. My bike is very hard to find neutral stopped, like my old shovel FX was.
Only this time there is nothing I can do about it. I don't hate it. But, I've had better, let's put it that way..
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.