Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Close call  (Read 1389 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Close call
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:57:29 AM »

Maria and I were returning from a day of riding yesterday on my "favorite" Interstate, when I saw a large piece of flimsy plastic circulating in the wind ahead of me.  It looked like something that might have covered a pallet, about the consistency of something your newspaper might be delivered in.  Anyway, I was watching it as I was approaching so that I could avoid it, when a truck pulled in front of me, blocked my view, and caused the thing to swirl right at me.  I still thought that I had missed it, when the passenger in a passing car frantically pointed to my wheels to warn me of a problem.  There was no place to pull over, since this section of highway is perpetually under construction, so about 1/2 mile later, I pulled off of the road.    What I saw scared the crap out of me... The huge piece of plastic had hooked onto the end of the kick stand and was flapping in the breeze behind me.  In the process, big chunks had melted onto the pipes, and worse - had begun to wrap around the belt sprocket.  I was able to unwind it from the sprocket without seriously burning my hands, and most of the melting occurred on non chromed sections of the pipes. I'm guessing that I was within minutes of catastrophe, had the plastic gotten much more tangled in the belt or wheel.  Thank God for the people in the car taking an interest in helping us. It's refreshing to share the road with helpful car drivers instead of airheads on cell phones.

Ed

SMOKIN' JACKET

• Full CVO Member
Re: Close call
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:03:06 AM »

Glad you're okay. I had a similar experience that I described in the "What do we all look like" thread.  Weird. I just posted the story, and now I am reading yours.

Marie
Smokin' Jacket (wanna know why?)
2008 Screamin' Eagle Springer

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:54:56 AM »

wow  does lightning also strike twice

glad your both of

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:18:33 AM »

Glad you're okay. I had a similar experience that I described in the "What do we all look like" thread.  Weird. I just posted the story, and now I am reading yours.

Marie
Yeah, every now and then, something happens that is a stark reminder to pay attention and not get overly cavalier about riding.  I can't even squeeze a good nickname out of it... "Smokin' plastic?"  How 'bout "Burning Rubber?"

Nah.

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:24:09 AM »

Wow, that was a close call!

Glad to hear you're OK...
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:43:50 AM »

Wow, that was a close call!

Glad to hear you're OK...
Thanks.  I'm more P.O.'d than anything else at this point.  I was able to get most of the plastic off of the pipes, but it still smells like burnt plastic every time I ride.  Eventually, it will all burn off, but in the meantime, it reeks.

Ed

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:44:41 AM »

Try Easy-Off oven cleaner aerosol...
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

Smuuth

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSEĀ³
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »

Try Easy-Off oven cleaner aerosol...
Get the pipes warm first...
Wear rubber gloves...
Spray the Easy-Off on a rag, then wipe the pipes, don't spray it directly on the pipes

:)
Patriot Guard

The best thing about riding in the rain is you don't have to stop to piss.

Captain Zumo

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

I had the same thing happen on my new CVO with that blue plastic. I saw it go under the bike and not come out, a few seconds later it came out. I thought I was alright until I pulled over and all that blue plastic was stuck to my new D&D Fatcatz. I will agree the easyoff oven cleaner will work. It just takes a little time.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 03:37:27 PM »

I had a similar thing happen to me in Nevada. but in my case it was a tumble weed. saw it rolling about a mile away. Had it stuck in my face, all tangled in the bike.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »

Glad you are ok!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Harley just put on a new rotor for me and I headed out for a trip...  Felt something weird but I kept going... A car was honking me!  Pulled over and saw all the bolts had started to back out of the tire!  A few more minutes I would be doing a reverse wheelie... :apple: :apple:

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.