Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: fuel gage  (Read 3221 times)

Thumper007

• FLHRSEI.ORG
fuel gage
« on: October 24, 2005, 08:00:15 PM »

my fuel gage has got condensation in it after sitting  for  a day or two , will they replace it under warrenty

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: fuel gage
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 08:37:50 PM »

If they do replace it, the next one will do the same thing.  So why bother?????Must be inherient in the design cause all that I've seen do it, some worse than others.    [smiley=nervous.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:55:55 PM »

They wouldnt replace mine.   They said unless you can not read it it will not be covered under warranty.

/sigh my gauge now fogs all the time.   Its even worse after a washing or getting caught in the rain.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 08:56:30 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 09:00:20 PM »

If they do replace it, the next one will do the same thing.  So why bother?????Must be inherient in the design cause all that I've seen do it, some worse than others.    [smiley=nervous.gif]   spyder
True statement. Had mine replaced under warranty and the new one did the same. Will take mine apart this winter and see where a little silicone will help.
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

wilberb

• Junior CVO Member
  • You only live once
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 12:46:02 PM »

Had a 2001 ultra that did the same thing. Replaced gauge under warranty and still did the same thing. Put some silicone over what appeared to be a "vent" hole and helped a little but not the solution. My 05 SEEG hasnt had the problem, yet.
2005 FLHTCSE2 red
SE Air Cleaner/PCIII/D&D Fat Cat 2:1
2003 FXDX (Wife's)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 07:36:44 PM »

Go digital, not moisture leaks. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

On my FLTRI, the only gauge that didn't fog was the aftermarket oil temp gauge that replaced the useless air temp gauge. Whatever they did differently in design, it worked and never fogged up. I tried lots of suggested tricks to cure it on the OEM gauges, nadda. Seems it has to do with the design and tolerances of the the OEM gauge surfaces or seals or both.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 06:25:16 PM »

True statement. Had mine replaced under warranty and the new one did the same. Will take mine apart this winter and see where a little silicone will help.

Actually silicone will hurt.  They fog because the glass is cool from sitting - usually indoors - then when started, there is heat inside the gauge and fairing.  I have found that drilling a little hole in the side of the gauge helps tremendously.  Just an observation.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 09:04:41 PM »

my fuel gage has got condensation in it after sitting  for  a day or two , will they replace it under warrenty

My 01 Ultra Classic fogged......they replaced it under warranty and it was fine for the next 60K miles, till I sold it.  This bike hasn't fogged at all but I really wouldn't care if it did.......they're so inaccurate.  I know that when my needle moves that I'm down to a half a tank and it goes down pretty fast, from there.

Oh yea, know somebody else that had one replaced under warranty about four months ago.  I think something like that really depends on the attitude of the dealership.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 05:48:10 PM »

Mine fogged for the first time on a New England trip in early October during two days of rain.  I'm going to talk to the dealer when I have it in for the next service to see if I can have it replaced... couldn't hurt... I hope. [smiley=confused5.gif]
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:25:24 AM »

I have had my fuel gauge fixed, calibrated, adjusted and replaced no less than four times.  I give up, because every time my bike gets into a dealership, someone rubs it too hard, jabs it, drops it or something on it and I end up with a bike with ever so slight, but still damaged.  I have not myself dropped it or anything on it nor leaned on it to rub paint or anything, but the many HD dealership staffs sure the heck have.  Now I go only by the mileage on the trip meter to know when to get gas.  When I have 140-150 miles I need to stop and fill up.  My fuel gauge does not fog up at all, but when I have no gas, the needle still shows a half a tank.  There is no way I am willing to take it back in again for this problem.  

Seems sad actually, since the MoCo gets charged for the labour and parts for each of these warranty repairs that I and my friends have had done to their bikes, and still ....... leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the owner who still does not have parts that work.  I guess, everyone has their own tolerance level of incompentence and for a gauge, I've reached mine.  As long as the odometer works..... I don't need no stinkin' gauge.  

;D ;D ;D [smiley=cherry.gif]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 06:26:50 AM by Mrs._WeCVO »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 07:56:46 AM »

Mrs.WeCVO, they (the MoCo) do make a compass that fits right in that hole where the inaccurate gas gauge fits and according to Nite-Al, they work great.  Just a thought.   [smiley=cherry.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 08:25:05 AM »

I have had my fuel gauge fixed, calibrated, adjusted and replaced no less than four times.  I give up, because every time my bike gets into a dealership, someone rubs it too hard, jabs it, drops it or something on it and I end up with a bike with ever so slight, but still damaged.  I have not myself dropped it or anything on it nor leaned on it to rub paint or anything, but the many HD dealership staffs sure the heck have.  Now I go only by the mileage on the trip meter to know when to get gas.  When I have 140-150 miles I need to stop and fill up.  My fuel gauge does not fog up at all, but when I have no gas, the needle still shows a half a tank.  There is no way I am willing to take it back in again for this problem.  

As long as the odometer works..... I don't need no stinkin' gauge.  

;D ;D ;D [smiley=cherry.gif]
Mrs. WE,

I seriously doubt that any of the dealers really replaced the sending unit and float.  If the gauge really never gets below 1/2, I would suspect that the float is hanging up on something or something is bent.  These gauges aren't terribly accurate, but most will at least get below 1/4 before you start running on fumes.  My bike would show about 1/8 to 3/16 when it started sputtering, and of course the dealer didn't fix it.  I fixed it myself by adding a resistor into the sending unit circuit, and now it reads 1/4 with about 1.5 gallons remaining, and the low fuel light comes on with about 1.0 gallons remaining (which is the way it's supposed to work from the factory).  I used the odometer "gauge" also until I got fed up and fixed the fuel gauge myself.  I can't stand having something on my bike or car that doesn't work - that's why the air temp gauge is my next project.  I'll either make it work right, or it goes in the trash and I'll install something else (compass?, oil temp?).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 08:40:23 AM »

grc, have you posted the 'details' of this fix (adding the resistor) for the fuel gauge before?  If so where?  Sounds like a good project for a cold winter's day (I'm sure we've got some coming although it's sunny and lower 80's again today in Eastern NC.  [smiley=vrolijk_3.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_13.gif] Har!  spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 09:06:22 AM »

grc, have you posted the 'details' of this fix (adding the resistor) for the fuel gauge before?  If so where?  Sounds like a good project for a cold winter's day (I'm sure we've got some coming although it's sunny and lower 80's again today in Eastern NC.  [smiley=vrolijk_3.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_13.gif] Har!  spyder
Spyder,

Try this thread http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1118059114/15   Scroll down to the last post.
It's pretty simple once you get the resistor, just a little splice job into one wire under the front of the seat.  If you need clarification, let me know.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:47:07 AM »

OK, so never say never.  Even though I said I gave up, I had to take my bike to the HD Shop for warranty work and I just added this to the list.  My gas gauge has never worked right - fixed four times but I asked to look at it again. Jerry, you are right, a replacement was not something they would consider.  So the "Fixed" it again.  And the bulb blew on the gauge and it was dark, I checked the odometer - only 116 miles on this tank - I assumed - idiot - that they would let me go with roughly the same amount of gas I came in with.  Well, I got to see the out of gas light for the first time.  You know the back lit speedometer is so pretty driving down the road under a full moon. I was mesmerized by the red arrow point straight up and with the gold tip at the bottom.  That is until I realized the gold tip was the little gold gas pump sign.  Never having seen it before, I was not familiar with what it was.  Well the last 800 feet or so were a little nerve racking, I got a couple of surges as my bike cried for gas.  I made sure I did not lean anymore than necessary and got her pulled into the garage and I turned it off.  But you bet I will be adding a little petrol before pulling out again.  Disappointing that the bulb blew, of course they did not have any in stock so I have to wait for it to come in.    
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.