Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 06 CUSE Sputter at 2500 - 2700 PRM's  (Read 641 times)

roadhand1

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUCSE
06 CUSE Sputter at 2500 - 2700 PRM's
« on: May 06, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »

On my CUSE it had the SERT, SE Breather, Stock Headers, and V&H Ovals and it ran great. Recently I had V&H True Duals and V&H Monster Ovals placed on it and since then I have noticed an intermittent sputter while in 5th gear at anywhere between 2500 and 2700 RPM's. Any ideas what could be causing this that I could check out? When I first noticed it, I took it back to the dealer and he said that it was running lean and that he richened up the mixture but it is still doing the same thing. I suspect that it is still in the ECM, but I thought that I would see if there are any other ideas that I could check out.

If the concensus is that it is in the tuner, does anyone know a tuner they would recommend in the Dallas, TX area.

Thanks in advance for any input or ideas!

Long time Lurker, first time poster!

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
Re: 06 CUSE Sputter at 2500 - 2700 PRM's
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 04:23:48 PM »

If you have changed the header pipes to true duals, you probably should get it re-tuned.

I have no experience with the Dallas shops, but this thread has several recommendations
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18015.msg287889#msg287889

Welcome to the site. Hope you get you bike running the way you want it to.

live free and ride safe

roadhand1

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUCSE
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:19:39 PM »

Well to close this saga, I must tell the story. I took the advise of many of you and got my bike tuned at North Texas H-D. Great shop, the guy had her in the dyno for 8 hours. Fixed the lean mixture, gained about 14 ft/lbs of Torque and about 9 HP. Well worth the effort! So I was so hopeful that this solved the problem. but on the way home the sputter was back! Researched everywhere I could find info. Pulled the tank to look for chaffed wires, replaced spark plugs, checked the coil, checked the plug wires, replaced the fuel filter, and nothing. The crazy thing is that it was not setting any codes in the ECM, making it difficult to diagnose. This was about to drive me to j**king off! I took the bike in for the 35,000 mile service and told the story to the dealer again. He said that they would check the intake and fuel pressure. Again found nothing. I was taliking to the tech and he mentioned that the only sensor that will not set a code immediately upon malfunction is the Crank Position Sensor. He said that it had to malfunction for 5 seconds before it would trip a code. They did not have one, so I went on the hunt, found one, and replaced it. TADA! Problem Solved! I am one happy boy! $ 54.00 Part and about 20 minutes to install!  :orange:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:28:42 PM »

Well to close this saga, I must tell the story. I took the advise of many of you and got my bike tuned at North Texas H-D. Great shop, the guy had her in the dyno for 8 hours. Fixed the lean mixture, gained about 14 ft/lbs of Torque and about 9 HP. Well worth the effort! So I was so hopeful that this solved the problem. but on the way home the sputter was back! Researched everywhere I could find info. Pulled the tank to look for chaffed wires, replaced spark plugs, checked the coil, checked the plug wires, replaced the fuel filter, and nothing. The crazy thing is that it was not setting any codes in the ECM, making it difficult to diagnose. This was about to drive me to j**king off! I took the bike in for the 35,000 mile service and told the story to the dealer again. He said that they would check the intake and fuel pressure. Again found nothing. I was taliking to the tech and he mentioned that the only sensor that will not set a code immediately upon malfunction is the Crank Position Sensor. He said that it had to malfunction for 5 seconds before it would trip a code. They did not have one, so I went on the hunt, found one, and replaced it. TADA! Problem Solved! I am one happy boy! $ 54.00 Part and about 20 minutes to install!  :orange:

Congrats!

Sometimes it's the simplest of things that drive us absolutely crazy!

SBB

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 20 queries.