Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery not charging???Help  (Read 7046 times)

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
Battery not charging???Help
« on: May 10, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »

Hello out there. Need some help. Got a problem with one of my bikes and can't figure it out. I'm sure someone out there has some ideas. I have a 1995 Electraglide that with a bunch of miles on it and the battery has stopped charging. Well, the battery was over 4 years old so I put in a new Harley battery. That didn't fix it. Put in a new CHROME voltage regulator (been wanting a chrome one for a while). That didn't fix it.
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Battery not charging???Help
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »

CONTINUATION FROM LAST POST. Seems I type as bad as I work on  motorcycles. :cucumber: Anyway, my 1995 Electraglide's battery stopped charging. Tested the output from the alternator/stator or whatever that's called and it puts out 50 to 55 volts AC as I'm told it should. Put in a new Harley battery. THAT DIDN'T FIX IT  >:( Put on a new CHROME voltage regulator. THAT DIDN'T FIX IT  >:( (looks better though). There's a third wire coming from the voltage regulator that goes to a circuit breaker, so I illiminated the breaker by temporarliy putting all the wires on one terminal of the breaker. THAT DIDN'T FIX IT >:(  The battery only reads about 12.5 volts at the battery with a hand held meter with engine running at 2 to 3 K rpm. My other bikes read over 14 volts when running at that rpm. I fully charged the battery and drove the bike about 2 hours and then the engine would barely turn over when trying to crank it. I know most everyone out there knows a lot more than me about this. Anyone have any ideas. I know this has been long but sure do need some help. THANKS AND LOOKING FORWARD TO MAGGIE VALLEY THIS FALL. I have a house near there and am up that way a lot so if anyone can't wait until fall to do some riding, give me a shout. THANKS
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

rbaker

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 06:25:05 PM »

CONTINUATION FROM LAST POST. Seems I type as bad as I work on  motorcycles. :cucumber: Anyway, my 1995 Electraglide's battery stopped charging. Tested the output from the alternator/stator or whatever that's called and it puts out 50 to 55 volts AC as I'm told it should. Put in a new Harley battery. THAT DIDN'T FIX IT  >:( Put on a new CHROME voltage regulator. THAT DIDN'T FIX IT  >:( (looks better though). There's a third wire coming from the voltage regulator that goes to a circuit breaker, so I illiminated the breaker by temporarliy putting all the wires on one terminal of the breaker. THAT DIDN'T FIX IT >:(  The battery only reads about 12.5 volts at the battery with a hand held meter with engine running at 2 to 3 K rpm. My other bikes read over 14 volts when running at that rpm. I fully charged the battery and drove the bike about 2 hours and then the engine would barely turn over when trying to crank it. I know most everyone out there knows a lot more than me about this. Anyone have any ideas. I know this has been long but sure do need some help. THANKS AND LOOKING FORWARD TO MAGGIE VALLEY THIS FALL. I have a house near there and am up that way a lot so if anyone can't wait until fall to do some riding, give me a shout. THANKS

Well it is not your 40 amp fuse (or your starter would not work.) Take your meter and see what the voltage is at the starter bolt to ground.

Sounds like you have a loose connection from the starter to the battery, or the battery to the frame ground.

On my Panhead you have to "flash" the field to polarize the generator, so your charging circuit is much simpler.

Good Luck...........

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:58:57 PM »

mgb, check stator out put- volt meter on a/c volts put the test leads on the two wires coming out of the stator, 
  thay should show @ 20volts per 1000 rpm, if its close its good. then check for ground between each stator wire
  and ground (engine or primary bolt or battery ground) .if all that checks out , then check ground between the
  battery ground  and the regulator housing, if that is good then take a test light - ground to the neg. termal of the
  battery and polk the point in the pos. wire at the regulator, then if you have light then its the regulator bad.     
    if you get anything diderent let me know,    axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »

This may be reaching a bit but..I had a similar problem with one of my trucks and one of my boats. Replaced similar componits and had the same results. Turns out the starters were going bad and only worked with a new or freshly charged battery. Replaced the starters and everything was fine. May not be your problem but it's another place to look. Good luck and keep us posted.

d-rock

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:26:55 PM »

Last week my battery was not charging. I tried everything tested everything and found nothing. Then a friend told me to check  the two wires coming from the stator, and I found green connectors and a bad connection. Bike is charging great now. Hope this helps
113 inch S.E.
The parts list will never be put in writing :)

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »

Not sure if this pic will be visable enough to see the problem,  but what you are looking at is a rotor with splines and one without ..  the one without splines is what produced simular symptoms on my bike.   ;D
The bike ran with this bad rotor for several thousand miles ... battery kept getting weaker, and weaker, but never did leave me stranded ...  it caused a vibration in the fairing ...  went looking for loose compensator .. and found it .. hahaha   along with broken fairing brackets .. etc ...

just a thought ...

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:50:32 PM by VRODDAVE »
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »

MGB,
Be sure your cables are good. Simple but often overlooked. And how would I know this? :nixweiss: :oops:
BTDT
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 24 queries.