Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: TTS Causes Computer to Crash  (Read 2166 times)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
TTS Causes Computer to Crash
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »

I've been trying to record data with my HP laptop and every time I get started to record, at some point, my computer crashes and restarts.  I've checked to make sure I've got the USB drivers loaded and the driver for the USB to serial adapter loaded.  This computer has never done that before now.  I'm able to retrieve the ECM data and load a new map but it crashes when I try to record data.  Actually it starts recording and then crashes and restarts unexpectantly.
  Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try to look for.  The USB to serial adapter is a Keystone which worked fine with my SERT's that I've used and the laptop is running Windows XP.

Suggestions??????

TIA
Steve
Steve

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: TTS Causes Computer to Crash
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »

That's no good... hopefully someone can help you out!

unclejaz

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:54:12 PM »

Hi, I am not exactly sure but you might want to defrag your laptop.I can record no problem with my asus eeepc[1000HE]and it has a 5400rpm harddrive.I also have 2 gigs of ram which may help also.Do you have the mastertune cable set? I had problems when I tried off brand cables.I also think I saw something about a driver issue with some type of Ir device in the install directions.hope this helps.
                                                                                   JAMES
James

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 12:28:20 AM »

Probably not much help, but I'm using a Keyspan adapter with Windows XP and not having any issues.  Did you make sure that the computer power settings don't allow the computer to go to sleep when it is on battery power?  Also, make sure your fan is not obstructed.  I had a similar problem with a computer overheating with a SERT.  Other than that, maybe check for hardware conflicts...
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

trot

• trot
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Live well, Laugh often, Love much.

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, Silver/Twilight Blue
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:50:51 AM »

I've been trying to record data with my HP laptop and every time I get started to record, at some point, my computer crashes and restarts.  I've checked to make sure I've got the USB drivers loaded and the driver for the USB to serial adapter loaded.  This computer has never done that before now.  I'm able to retrieve the ECM data and load a new map but it crashes when I try to record data.  Actually it starts recording and then crashes and restarts unexpectantly.
  Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try to look for.  The USB to serial adapter is a Keystone which worked fine with my SERT's that I've used and the laptop is running Windows XP.

Suggestions??????

TIA
Steve
Hi Steve I had a very similar problem with mine. It kept crashing the computer when I was using the USB to Serial adapter but when I tried the desktop wth the serial adapter plugged straight in it was fine.
It was the USB to Serial adapter which was not compatible.
Steve at TTS sells a USB to Serial adapter which is fine. Apparantly TTS have had issues with some of the cheaper makes of aadapter. Hope this helps.
Trot                 
"The shows not over till the Fat Lady sings."

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:36:26 AM »

Trot,  I'll check out the adapter.  I've also got another older computer that has a serial port on it so I may try that one also.  That could easily be it as I had the same trouble with the SERT and another adapter but thought that this Keystone would work as it worked with the SERT.
Steve

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 08:23:46 AM »

I'm guessing your taking the laptop for a ride.......it might just be the vibrations causing it to crash......

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »

I don't think that's it as it crashed a couple of times just sitting in my garage while hooked to the bike.
Steve

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:42:03 AM »

When i was using TTS (have since resorted back to SERT) i had similar issues, at the time Mr. Cole suggested updating my Vista Ops to current service pack. That did the job. If your running Vista, try installing the most recent service pack, if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:44:05 AM by sportygordy »

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »

I have had close to the same problem this weekend. I am using a Keyspan adapter that I used with my old SERT. I could get the ECM info fine but when I tried to save the factory map the computer crashed every time. I tried updating the computer defraging it and even the clean disk utility under system tools. I tried to uninstall all the software and reinstall it with no luck. I did install the software on my old laptop and it worked fine. I was able to save the factory map and upload my base map. I have not tried the Data Save part yet but do agree with the earlier post that vibration will cause it to crash as well. I am running XP Pro Service Pack 3 on both computers and using the Keyspan adapter. Both laptops are Dell but one works the other dont.  I have attached a print screen copy of the error report if anyone can make any sense of it.

09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 09:31:06 PM »

Does it crash before you take it for a ride or when you get back from data logging?
RETIRED! :fireman:

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

I've ordered new cables that are known to work, so I'll try that.  I'm running XP with all the updates (I think)  I've got the computer set to stay on so that shouldn't be it and it crashes sitting still or moving so I'm really thinking the cables might just be the problem  Doc, who I bought it from, says they can cause fits sometimes if using the HD SERT cables and a USB to serial adapter.  So anyway I'm going to try the cables that I know will work and see what happens then.
Steve

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »

Mine would hang when I got back from datalogging. I made a nest for it in the TP for viberation. also found that although I had all settings to "never" the top would shut and cause it to hibernate. Fixed that and all went well. Good luck! You'll like the results!   :2vrolijk_21:
RETIRED! :fireman:

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »

I don't think that's it as it crashed a couple of times just sitting in my garage while hooked to the bike.

Well it was a thought.....I'm taking mine down to have Doc tune it the 23rd.....done once, done right.....

WVULTRA

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »

Was this with the engine running or not?  Give as specific details as possible.

Does it crash right when you start a Data Recording, or during a Recording in progress?  Do you have the AC adapter plugged up to the laptop; or running on battery power?  Once a Data Recording starts, it's a big load on the computer's buss/resources.

First thing that comes to mind is the USB adapter failing.  Even though you have the drivers installed, are they the latest from the manufacturer's website?  Does your adapter offer a high enough baud rate to support the TTS requirements?

Also check the Com Port settings per the TTS Tuning Guide.  Any conflicts there will crash the system.

Are you running Window's Defender Program?

Just throwing out some food for thought..........

:confused5:
'07 Ultra Classic
Axtell Mountain Motor 107" 
Baisley Stage II Heads
HPI 48 Conversion TB
SE Intake w/Zippers Max-Flow
Rinehart Tru Duals
TTS MasterTune
'08 Brembo Conversion
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.