Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: ? on Zumo 550  (Read 7511 times)

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
? on Zumo 550
« on: May 28, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »

Will I get voice commands from the unit itself? If so, can you hear them over the wind and pipes? I will be using this on my Ultra and my Heritage.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: ? on Zumo 550
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »

No speakers on the Zumo or the motorcycle mount. The only way to hear commands is to have it wired to radio (from mount to radio), and have radio on Aux.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 09:28:37 PM »

Is there an aux input on my 09 ultra.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 09:30:48 PM »

Sure is, it's right on the front.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »

Can I plug in some ear pods and get voice command that way?
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 09:35:09 PM »

Never tried it, but don't see why it wouldn't work. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »

Thanks dood. I think I am going to get one for our trip to Sturgis. I have a Magellan in my truck and like the voice prompts.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

You're welcome. :2vrolijk_21:

May as well share this with you if you thinking about getting a 550 (this will give you options on power, audio, mount, and other good info)...

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield for the Garmin Zumo 550. Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

Newest version of Mapsource - MapSource software version 6.15.6 as of April 20, 2009 (or you can use the update feature in Mapsource to get it)

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.5.3 as of August 22, 2008.

For those having problems with Mapsource or want to learn more about it try this - Mapsource Tutorial

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »

Thanks for all the help and info. That what makes this site so great.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »

Can I plug in some ear pods and get voice command that way?
Sure.  On my Heritage, I plugged a standard set of earbuds into the aux out on the mount before I bought a bluetooth headset.  With the CUSE4, I use the bike's wired system so that can use all of the audio features.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 11:53:05 PM »

::) ::) ::)

Go to cycle gadgets ( http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/packages.asp?pkg=ULT-550 ) and check out this solution.  If you use a helmet plugged into the HD system, the cell set is a great intergrated one.  Allows using the existing HD intercom powered  system to work with the Zumo GPS, MP3 and phone.  Mutes the HD radio for 5 seconds while command prompts come through (or bluetooth phone).  I used the Zumo plugged into the aux port but this eliminates the CB, XM (HD) or intercom.  Thus need to use the XM from the Zumo or MP3 for music.  Not good.

J&M makes a solution which I tried but is not as good as the Cell Set.

That said, there is a much less expensive solution which works well on the Zumo links.  As I already had the J&M and switched to the Cell Set, I ahaeve no experience with it. 

All three of these require installing the systems directly into the HD wiring harness.  Requires some level of mechanical/electrical skills.  Took about two hours start to finish for the Cell Set.  I will say the J&M headsets are expensive but better than the HD's.

You can in fact use a set of stereo headphones to get the Zumo commands (or MP3 ) if you don't mind wearing the ear pieces.

Just my two cents worth.  The Zumo is awesome. I've had mine since the second month they were on the market.  been on its third bike.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Eagle Soars

• Full CVO Member
  • formerly known as "UpChuck82"

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 01:55:38 AM »

::) ::) ::)

Go to cycle gadgets ( http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/packages.asp?pkg=ULT-550 ) and check out this solution.  If you use a helmet plugged into the HD system, the cell set is a great intergrated one.  Allows using the existing HD intercom powered  system to work with the Zumo GPS, MP3 and phone.  Mutes the HD radio for 5 seconds while command prompts come through (or bluetooth phone).  I used the Zumo plugged into the aux port but this eliminates the CB, XM (HD) or intercom.  Thus need to use the XM from the Zumo or MP3 for music.  Not good.

J&M makes a solution which I tried but is not as good as the Cell Set.

That said, there is a much less expensive solution which works well on the Zumo links.  As I already had the J&M and switched to the Cell Set, I ahaeve no experience with it. 

All three of these require installing the systems directly into the HD wiring harness.  Requires some level of mechanical/electrical skills.  Took about two hours start to finish for the Cell Set.  I will say the J&M headsets are expensive but better than the HD's.

You can in fact use a set of stereo headphones to get the Zumo commands (or MP3 ) if you don't mind wearing the ear pieces.

Just my two cents worth.  The Zumo is awesome. I've had mine since the second month they were on the market.  been on its third bike.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Diamondback,
A few Cellset questions for inquiring minds:
How long have you had the cellset and have you had any problems with it?

Their install guide leaves a bit to be desired IMHO, was the install pretty straightforward?  I have a service manual and the same bike as you (Red).

Do ALL of the harley radio (AM/FM/CD/Aux), Harley XM, Harley rider-to-passenger Intercom, and Harley CB still all work like they would without having added the Cellset?

I currently use the harley headsets (wired) and don't see any reason to change that.  I would like to add the GPS and would love to have the cell phone bluetooth functionality via the garmin thru my existing headsets.  It would be nice to be able to take the calls I REALLY need to take.  Does this all work properly?

Thanks,
Eagle Soars
2009 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
Arlen Ness Big Sucker (Chrome Backplate) w/ KN Filter
SERT
SE Slip-Ons

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »

Diamondback,
A few Cellset questions for inquiring minds:
How long have you had the cellset and have you had any problems with it?
Their install guide leaves a bit to be desired IMHO, was the install pretty straightforward?  I have a service manual and the same bike as you (Red).
Do ALL of the harley radio (AM/FM/CD/Aux), Harley XM, Harley rider-to-passenger Intercom, and Harley CB still all work like they would without having added the Cellset?
I currently use the harley headsets (wired) and don't see any reason to change that.  I would like to add the GPS and would love to have the cell phone bluetooth functionality via the garmin thru my existing headsets.  It would be nice to be able to take the calls I REALLY need to take.  Does this all work properly?
Thanks,
Eagle Soars

You really should take a look at this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34687.0

Jim Bissonette produces a device that does exactly what you want to do, and it costs only $65.  I can personally attest that his device works very well, and allows me to use my cell phone when it is paired to the Zumo.  His website has a newer version than the one that I installed, but I'm sure that it works even better than mine, as it does not require that you use the Auxiliary switch on the inner fairing.  The instructions are detailed, and seem to be easier to follow than the Cellset instructions.

All other Harley audio functions work fine with this device installed.

Ed

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »

8) 8) 8)

First answer about the Cell Set solution, yes I have had it for over six months, and one of my buddies has had it for well over a year.  Yes the entire HD setup works just as if the Cell Set is not there.

The one advantage I do like with the Cell Set is it mutes the HD system for 5 seconds while the GPS or the phone is ringing.  There is no soldering with the Cell Set (need a heat gun for the shrink wrap) as the package includes the wiring harness.  I thought the instructions were very easy to read and from the time I started until I was finished was less than two hours.  You still have the aux port if you want to hook an ipod (or whatever).  The latest version allows you to never mute the HD system, not sure why you wouldn't do this but it is an option.It has worked with three different bluetooth phones (iPhone, Blackberry and a cheap samsung) with no issues.  Does not change the way the CB works or the VOX or PTT.  What you get with HD is what you still have.

Comes with an additional power plug for a radar detector to be hard wires via the Cell Set.  The phone system is excellent.  Never thought I would like having the ability to answer my phone while on the bike.  However, the Zumo does show who is calling from your phone book on the phone and thus you can answer or not.  I answer for the wife and the grandkids.  Never work.

I do not know if the bissonette product mutes the HD system as well ( I like this feature a lot and would pay more for it).  The  I do not know how it could but that would be a question for Jim.  For sure his product looks like a reasonably priced alternative.  The Cell Set is more costly but I would not change.  The J&M was OK.

One last point The support from Cell Set is excellent.  Had a problem where the volume dropped real low.  He knew the solution immediately, the Garmin mount had gone bad (I questioned this also until I checked it out on the Zumo forum).  Ordered the $65.00 part off eBay installed the mount and all is well.

Here's jim's link.  http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »

You're welcome. :2vrolijk_21:

May as well share this with you if you thinking about getting a 550 (this will give you options on power, audio, mount, and other good info)...

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield for the Garmin Zumo 550. Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)

SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

Newest version of Mapsource - MapSource software version 6.15.6 as of April 20, 2009 (or you can use the update feature in Mapsource to get it)

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.5.3 as of August 22, 2008.

For those having problems with Mapsource or want to learn more about it try this - Mapsource Tutorial

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

It would be nice if you were a little more helpful with your posts.......  ;)

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 21 queries.