Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: dark sunglasses question  (Read 25969 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: dark sunglasses question
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2009, 03:26:27 PM »

1ab, nice write-up on the 7Eye lenses.  Which frames did you choose?

The only ones to fit me well were the Whirlwinds, so that's what I got.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 12:25:32 AM »

I have the 7Eye (Panoptx) and after about 2 - 3 months, both sides of the padding is ripping.  I bought a pair of Wiley X's yesterday and that is a purchase I already regret.  They do a horrible job of blocking the sun and I'm don't know if I'll ever wear them again for riding.  I have to send my foam inserts to 7Eye for replacement, and I'll just have to hope that the new ones last longer.  I previously made a post indicating that I liked the 7Eyes, but suddenly, I'm not real pleased with the foam problem.  The Wiley X Jakes, again, are a purchase that I regret making.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2009, 12:19:05 AM »

The Wiley X Jakes, again, are a purchase that I regret making.
Dave, sorry to hear you say that - I just ordered a pair based on some of the recommendations on the forum.  What did you not like?  Which lenses did you get?  I bought the light adjusting gray.

I got tired of the scary trips through tunnels with dark sunglasses.

Ed

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2009, 12:24:56 AM »

I bought the light adjusting gray.

Ed
I've never seen adjusting lenses that would adjust quickly enough for a tunnel on a highway.   :-\  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2009, 12:46:08 AM »

I've never seen adjusting lenses that would adjust quickly enough for a tunnel on a highway.   :-\  spyder

Crap.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2009, 12:47:24 AM »

Dave, sorry to hear you say that - I just ordered a pair based on some of the recommendations on the forum.  What did you not like?  Which lenses did you get?  I bought the light adjusting gray.

Ed

I did not get the transition lenses.  I got the ones that stay dark all the time.  I bought them at the rally in Johnstown and I wore them home on Saturday.  My eyes were burning the entire way home.  They just are not dark enough for me.  My 7Eye's are about perfect for the sunlight.  My RayBan's are the best in the sun, but they are so dark that I can't see the display on the radio, etc. and going through the tunnels is real bad with the RayBan's.

Back when I bought the 7Eye's, I had tried the transition lenses in both 7Eye and WileyX and I took them out in the bright sun to try them and they did not get dark enough for me.  I read up on the trick with putting the transition lenses in the freezer to darken them up some, but from what I read, it's very temporary and they are supposed to lighten back up as they heat up again.  I decided that I could live with switching glasses once per day to clear lenses if I ride late into the day and it's getting dark out, so I opted against the transition lenses.

I also seem to get a better fit with the 7Eye glasses than with the WileyX.  I could feel my contacts drying on me with the WileyX.  Fit is going to be on an individual basis though.  The strange thing is that I can wear by RayBan's with no wind protection and not have the same problem that I was having with the WileyX's.  That I don't understand.  Luckily, I have a friend that wants to buy my WileyX's from me.  He tried the same pair and didn't get them.  He liked them and he told me he'll pay me the full price and take them off my hands.

I'm still not completely thrilled with the 7Eye though either, so I may try a different WileyX and see if they are any better.  The 7Eye foam is ripping apart on both sides, even though I have been very delicate in handling them.  The 7Eye frames seem much more delicate and prone to breakage, although I haven't had a problem with that yet.  Once I find a good replacement pair, I'll send in the foam from the 7Eye pair for replacement, but the warranty is only one year, so I don't know what I'll do after they start ripping a 2nd or 3rd time.  The WileyX frames and foam both appeared to be constructed much sturdier, so I would really like to find a pair of those that work for me...but I'm afraid that I've already tried their darkest lenses and they didn't do it for me.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2009, 12:49:41 PM »

The WileyX frames foam will last longer than the Panoptx/7Eyes.  I had the Panoptx and the foam would die within a year on mine and everyone I saw.  The WileyX's I currently have is the old aluminum framed XL-3.  They quite making it 2 years ago.   I still have the original foam on them.  Yes it's worn, but it's still serviceable.  I've NEVER found a transitions lens that is dark enough for me.  I hate the fact that they lighten up in the car, the DON'T work when it gets really hot, they don't work fast enough to really be useful and they quit working after about 30 months.  I have the original set of lenses I put in the WileyX's now after 3 years.  They're still dark and they stay dark!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

grip

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »

Costa DelMar....fishing glasses w/mirror lenses, polarized.  I love em.
Grip

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »

The WileyX's I currently have is the old aluminum framed XL-3.  They quite making it 2 years ago.   I still have the original foam on them.  Yes it's worn, but it's still serviceable. 

Have you tried contacting them for replacement foam? I just got two replacement "facial cavity seals" (foam) for my model JP-2s which they stopped making several years ago. Life is good again.

My only knock on the Wileys is the inability to get progressive bi-focals. The ones I use have the distinct line between the two corrections.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »

Screamin,

I haven't tried to get new foam, as mine isn't that bad.  As for the progressives, you just need to go to your optometrist.  He should be able to do what WileyX won't.  I've done several WileyX's with progressives, one has MUCH more prescription than what WX is willing to do.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

I'm using these ..  mine are perscription : http://www.drivewearlens.com/effect.php

I also have a set of Bolle's with the high definition /mirror lens - Polarized Sandstone

CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 02:04:42 AM »

I find Maui Jim are the best. I always go with polorized glass. I just bought the Peahi and they are great. The frames are large and it gives complete coverage over the entire eye. Sunglass hut lets you try them for 90 days with a no question return policy.

JeffsHogPen

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2001 FLHR
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:13 AM »

I have three diffrent pairs of Oakley's. One pair since 1999.And still look great. They have the polarized lens and are dark enough for the sun and work great in rain and early evening. I was caught out when it got a little late and could see well enough to get home. I don't reccomend this but was impressed that it still could be done. They are a little expensive but well worth it.
Hookem¨Horns!!!!!

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 11:17:30 PM »

Any of y'all ever used Icicles?  I bought their high-definition lenses (about $130 at HD 105th last year) copper toned lenses, aluminum cruiser style.  I've loved them every minute and even though they are dark enough for the brightest day I've had, I still keep them on when pulling in the garage at the office building.  However, the wife bought the less expensive plastic frames and they almost fall off her face on the freeway - but she loves the lenses.

http://www.icicles.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=278&HS=1
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.